*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1042326-They-Say-That-Love-Goes-Anywhere
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Relationship · #1042326
My life both started and ended with one event. Chapter 2
Standing in front of me was none other than Jake Ireland – the Jake – the guy that I could never seem to forget. And he looked so good – I mean his hair; and he definitely had been working out – those muscles! . . .

“Andie? Andie are you okay?” James’ voice broke through my thoughts.

“I’m fine sweetie. Just a little surprised. You see, Jake and I . . .” I trailed off. How do you explain to your boyfriend that the one guy you loved other than him is standing right in front of you. Not to mention the fact that you still manage to think about him daily.

“Went to high school together,” Jake’s voice cut in, “I actually haven’t seen Andie since we graduated. We ended up losing touch over the years.”

Lost touch huh? I guess that’s what you could call it. Okay, I really need to focus on this dinner – everyone waiting for me to say something, “Yeah, we haven’t talked in years. It’s really good to see you Jake.” I moved to give him a quick hug and as his arms wrapped around me, I was transported back in time.

I’m sitting behind the customer service desk at the grocery store where I work. It’s really quiet in the store so I’m just talking with one of the other cashiers, Mike. As we recap our weekends, I glance at the guy walking by.

That hair, those clothes, that guy looks just like . . . “Jake!” I cry out. “Mike can you hold the fort down for me?” I barely have time to ask as I run past the counter and into his waiting arms.

“Andie! It’s so good to see you again. I missed you” Jake said, wrapping his arms around me and lifting me into the air. I can’t believe that I’m finally seeing him again, how right it feels to have his arms around me.

And as soon as the hug started, it was over. James held out my chair for me, and we all sat down at the table. The waiter came to take our orders, and then the small talk began, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

That was the last time Jake and I saw each other. I worked at the store all summer and Jake had been in Europe for a few weeks. Running into him there was like something out of the movies: the girl running to the man of her dreams and him lifting her into the air, promising to never let her go. Real life is nothing like the movies. Jake and I talked online a few times, and then the conversations just stopped. The story is actually a little more complicated than that, but the point is that Jake and I haven’t talked in years – not that it stopped me from thinking about him.

The waiter arrived with our meals and a big bottle of champagne. I watched as he poured out four glasses and handed them to us – there seemed to be something in mine – I wonder if I could get a new glass . . .

“I would like to propose a toast” James’ voice rang clear as he tapped his glass. “This is a very special occasion for all of us. My friend Michelle has just moved into a new apartment here with her fiancee, and I get to introduce her to the most important person in my life – my beautiful girlfriend.”

James looked me directly in the eye, set down his glass, and tenderly took hold of my hand. “Andie, you have made the last two years of my life more wonderful than I ever thought possible. The day you walked into my life was the best day of my life. I don’t know what I would do without you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

I can’t believe it! Is James really going to . . .

“Andie Donovan, will you marry me?”

And Jake, he’s engaged! How is this possible? Okay I need to think about this. I can’t just accept this proposal with Jake sitting in front of me. I don’t know if I still have feelings for him – not that it matters – apparently he’s moved on and gotten engaged. But still, I need time to think. This is not the time for rash decisions. I’ll just tell James that I love him but I need some time. Yes, that’s what I’ll do.

“James, you know that I love you, and,”I paused, looking into his smiling face, “of course I’ll marry you, nothing would make me happier!”

All of a sudden a ring is being slipped on my finger – it’s a little damp – that’s probably what was in my glass. What did I just say? What happened to taking some time to think? I just got engaged right in front of Jake – who is engaged himself . . . None of this matters. I love James. This thing I have for Jake is clearly just feelings for an old friend – nothing more. I’m getting married to the man of my dreams. This is the happiest day of my life.

“Oh James, Andie – I am so happy for you!” Michelle’s voice cuts into my thoughts, “My best friend from high school is getting married . . . to my fiancee’s friend from high school. This is just the perfect situation! I mean, we can plan our weddings together . . . we are just all going to be the best of friends!”

I glance over at Jake and our eyes meet. A warmth just seems to flow through my entire body. How did I ever go years without seeing this guy? I never realized just how much I missed him. Michelle’s words run through my mind: best friends with the girl marrying Jake? What have I gotten myself into?

© Copyright 2005 kailyn_36 (kailyn_36 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1042326-They-Say-That-Love-Goes-Anywhere