*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1043089-How
by lolo
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1043089
Written from an experience- writing this helped me decide what I should do.
Sophie had been amazed when she found out Ben asked Caroline to the dance. I mean, can you imagine your twin brother asking your best friend out! At first she was confused- Ben had never asked a girl out before, and she had no idea how he had gathered enough courage. Then she was mad at Ben for asking her best friend! And Caroline, for saying yes. But she soon got over it, and then wondered- why did she say yes?
"Where is she!?" Sophie said. Andie had been waiting with her for 20 minutes. "Schools in 15 min!" Sophie was standing with Andie, both hudlled together outside of the gym.
"What do you want to know anyway?" Andie asked. Sophie had hoped she could keep this between her and Caroline. "I just want to ask her something about the dance. . ." Sophies voice trailed off.
"O.K., I know hes your brother, and I can understand how you could be kind of protective, but I don't think you should go setting any rules or anything." Andie was so right. But thats not what Sophie needed Caroline for.
"Yah, your probably right. You can go back in the gym or whatever, she'll be here soon." Sophie said. Andie caught the hint. She said "O.K., see ya soon!" as she walked back inside.
Sophie saw Caroline walk up to the gym.
"Caroline! I need to talk to you." Sophie said the second she saw Caroline. Suddenly, Caroline didn't seem so happy.
"Whats wrong?" Sophie asked. Caroline looked even worse. "I need to talk to you too." She sighed. Sophies stomach was squirming arouns, and she didn't feel quite that great, either.
Sophie and Caroline went to the bathroom to talk- it was the safest place.
"You first." Caroline said. Sophie sighed, took a deep breath, and looked Caroline in the eye.
"Why did you say yes?" Carolines eyes shot ot the floor. She didn't say anything.
Verty guietly, she asked, "Was it . . . pity?" Caroline still didn't say anything. Sophie should have known. Caroline was so nice, there was no way she woud have turned anybody down. Caroline looked so miserable.
"Your turn." Sophie said. Right at that moment, some little sixth grader walked into the bathroom and they switched thier coversation to Orlando Bloom (typical topic). As soon as the girl left, they fell silent. Caroline whispered, " Can you tell him that I said that I promised my friends that I'd go with them, and I'm really sorry." Sophie felt sick now. She couldn't find any words, so nodded and turned to leave.
"I'm really, really sorry." Caroline added.
"Its fine!" sophie said, and managed a smile. Caroline cheered up, and rushed to class after thanking Sophie.
That day during Science, Andie passed Sophie a note. It read:
How did it go w/ Caroline?
Sophie was still pretty shook up by what Caroline had said. Her reply was:
Fine! :)
Andie didn't ask anything else.
That night there were a million things bobbing around in Sophies head, but the biggest question was 'How? How do I tell him what Caroline said?' Sophie couldn't imagine what would happen if she just came out and told him- but she knew it wouldn't be good. She pondered this for nearly an hour. She couldn't believe what had happened! This was so terrible! Why did it happen to her?
The next morning she slipped out of her room half an hour early. She snuck down the hall silently, avoiding the well-known creaking boards. Sophie sid through the partly opened door to her brothers bedroom, and quietly worked her way over to the bed. She gently laid a note on Bens stomach, and crept out of the room.
A little later, Sophie checked to see if Ben was awake yet. She saw him sitting there, his eyes wide, staring atthe paper, which read in Sophie's deliberate handwriting:
Dear Ben,
Caroline asked me to tell you that she is very very sorry, but she can;t go to the dance with you. She had promised her friends who also didn't have dates that she would go with them, and then you asked her. She says that it is nothing personal, and she is really upset about not going with you. But she made a promise, and I hope you aren't upset.
Sophie
But Sophie could tell he was upset. He looked up at her, and she felt so bad she just stared at thefloor, and then just left him there alone.
© Copyright 2005 lolo (polkadot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1043089-How