*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048771-1769-Kellys-Gift--1769
by Eden
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1048771
Kelly finds out the best gifts are unexpected.
760 Words Written for a contest with the prompt: An Unexpected Gift Beneath the Tree



 
         Kelly bounced from one foot to the other in front of the Christmas gifts. She clutched her five dollars and eighty-nine cents as she looked at the holiday baskets. She had scrimped and saved for this last present for Peanut, her puppy. Now she had to decide whether to get him a huge basket of treats or a small one and a Santa hat. Kelly had already picked up his new collar with PEANUT embroidered on it and a little tag in case he ever got lost. She decided to get the hat and the small treat box with a ribbon that had dogs wearing Santa hats on it. Walking out with five dollars and fifty cents gone, she was proud of her purchases. As she walked home with them she carried them like they were priceless. Kelly hoped Peanut would like them.
 
         Peanut was her responsibility and she wanted to make sure everything was perfect for him. When she saw his big eyes and watched him stumble around on his overlarge feet, Kelly knew he was the most adorable puppy ever; which was saying quite a lot. She placed the gift box under the Christmas tree and got out the collar and hat. She had decided to put the little hat with the elastic band on him now and parade him around the neighborhood, so he could see all of the beautiful Christmas decorations.
 
         Unconcerned with her parent’s wish to not heat the neighborhood, Kelly threw open the back door and ran out to get Peanut. Although she hadn’t asked, she figured he could be in the house for just a minute to look at his present. She ran up to his little fenced in area and was surprised that he didn’t meet her at the gate. As she studied the fence, Kelly saw that there was a hole in it, just big enough for her puppy to escape. She clutched the tiny hat and collar to her as she ran around the yard.
 
         “Mom, Peanut is gone.” Kelly burst out as she ran back in the house. Her mom stopped reading and got up to put an arm around the little girl.
 
         “Well, he couldn’t have gotten far, we can all look for him,” Kelly’s mom said and soon the whole family was outside searching for the tiny puppy.
 
         “Peaaanuuut!” Kelly called for her puppy until she was hoarse. When the sun began to set, Kelly had to give up and come in. She was freezing from being outside all day. Looking down at the collar she had bought the puppy, Kelly wished it had been ready sooner. Then whoever found Peanut would know where to bring him home.
 
         She sat in the window watching the darkness, hoping to see a clumsy little puppy run across the grass. When it got late Kelly’s parents stood behind her for a long time. It seemed like they were trying to decide if they were going to make her go to bed or let her sleep there.
 
         “Come on, Honey, you have to get some sleep. You can open presents in the morning and Santa will come tomorrow night,” her dad said, picking her up and carrying her to bed. Her parents tucked her in and Kelly thought that she wouldn’t ever be able to sleep. The day had been a long one for her though, and she soon did fall into a deep sleep.
 
         “Keeelly, wake up, Kelly.” Her little brother Conrad was shaking her awake. Kelly sat up and looked at her brother who was smiling brightly at her.
 
         “Santa came early, Kelly!” He squealed with joy and Kelly followed him into the living room. At first everything looked exactly as it had been the night before, no Santa presents. Then Kelly saw that something was different, nestled beside his now empty gift box, was a very full Peanut. He had eaten every last treat and was lying on his side because his belly was so swollen. When Kelly ran up to him she saw his tiny tail wag and he struggled to roll over to greet her.
 
         “He musta been in the house,” Conrad said, delicately patting the puppy. “Why are you crying, Kelly?” He asked and looked like maybe he would cry too. Kelly only shook her head and hugged Conrad. Then she swooped up Peanut who licked off her tears of joy. Having Peanut with her was all Kelly wanted for Christmas.
© Copyright 2005 Eden (eden_is at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1048771-1769-Kellys-Gift--1769