*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1051727-Road-Rage
by Kenzie
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Religious · #1051727
Anger bubbled inside him; he glanced at the dashboard and saw the symbol that defined him.
Road Rage
by Marilyn Mackenzie



A man I once met suffered from horrible road rage. The least infraction, or supposed infraction against him angered him so much that he would shout and shake his fist at the other drivers around him or beep his horn. He wanted to jump out and pick a fight, but never did, with those he felt had violated him.

As the world around got angrier, though, he did realize that an angry look or gesture from him might cause an even angrier person to pull out a gun and shoot him.

He decided he should change. Perhaps the stress of anger during his daily commute to and from work wasn't good for his health. Getting shot surely wouldn't be.

One Sunday, as Rick and his family were getting into their car after church, his 5 year old son, as usual, shared the lesson he had learned in children's church.

"Daddy," Billy said. "My teacher said that I might be the only Bible that my friends might read this week. She said that I could be the only proof of God's love too."

As Billy proceeded to explain what those statements meant, his dad tuned him out and was in his own little world. As Rick waited for his turn to get out of the crowded parking lot, he glanced at the other cars around him. Many had Christian symbols on them, decals and bumper stickers labeling the car owners as Christians.

An idea developed in Rick's mind. Perhaps having a Christian decal or bumper sticker on his car would help him with his road rage. How could he act hostile to other drivers if his car donned a Christian symbol, something proclaiming him to be a follower of Jesus?

Rick skipped lunch on Monday, spending the time instead wandering the aisles of the local Christian bookstore. He purchased an Ichthus to place on his car bumper and a smaller one for the dashboard.

After work, Rick's resolve was tested not long after leaving work. As anger bubbled inside him, he glanced at the dashboard and saw the symbol of who he really was - a Christian. He swallowed hard and tried smiling instead of showing his anger. It really wasn't that difficult to do.

Rick thought, "This attitude has to be healthier for me. Maybe being less angry will help me control my high blood pressure problem. Besides, I just might be the only Bible that guy reads today."






The Christian symbol, the Ichthus, is Greek for fish. In the days of persecution of the church, the Ichthus was drawn in the sand when a believer met a stranger. If the stranger was also a believer, he would respond and the two would know it was safe to discuss the Lord.

Today, the Ichthus is seen on many cars. It is seen almost as frequently as the cross to signify Christian faith. Wouldn't it be great if all whose cars carry these symbols would remember who and what they represent?


© Copyright 2005 Kenzie (kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1051727-Road-Rage