*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1052379-Hes-Back
by Diane
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1052379
Meg wanted Danny to come home... or did she?
Meg huddled in the closet, pinned against the back wall. Her fist was pressed against her mouth to halt her screams. She struggled to calm her breathing, convinced he could hear her heart thundering in her chest. They were dead and now he was coming for her. She didn't know why. She'd woken to find him standing over her, blood dripping from the knife in his hand. Her scream startled him; he thought she was asleep. He stepped back, giving her an opportunity to run. She ran past her parents, lying in a pool of blood on the couch, the movie still playing. Her footsteps echoed through the foyer and his laughter followed her up the stairs.

"There isn't anywhere you can hide, Meg. I've always been able to find you."

Meg ducked into the closet, pushing past the coats. She dropped to her knees and prayed. Her prayers over the last year had been for Danny's safe return from Iraq. Now she prayed for herself.

God, please don't let him find me. I don't want to die. Please let me wake up and find this was all a dream.

She could hear his footsteps coming closer. He was outside the door. When she heard the squeak of the handle she closed her eyes, praying he wouldn't see her. The hangers clattered as he moved the coats to one side. She looked up at her brother one last time as the knife arced toward her head. In those last moments, she wished she hadn't prayed for his safe return.


Written for "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
© Copyright 2006 Diane (sgambill72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1052379-Hes-Back