*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053383-Streets-Is-Callin
Rated: XGC · Fiction · Drama · #1053383
Streets Is Callin' is a story about four African-American teenagers in the ghetto XGC
~Tammy~


"I'm not going' to the basketball game tomorrow, to much fightin' wit' all these damn thug wannabes."

"Tammy, all the fine ninth grade boys are going be there." That was Alaina, my best friend, my running partner, my left hand girl, and she really is left-handed so hey.

"A name one ninth grade boy you know." That's ghetto ass Jayne. She's known Alaina about two years. She'll cuss you and ya mama out in a heartbeat; I guess that's why I hang around her.

"She knows Jarell."

"Shut up Nicole!"

Nicole is that girl who don't know if she wanna be white or black. Her mama white and her dad black, but she stay in the hood wit' her pop.

"Who's Jarell?" Jayne and I asked bein' our noisey selves as usual.

"Some boy she met at basketball camp."

"Nicole shut up before I slap the lil' bit of black off you."

"Do it then."

"Don't try me 'cause you know I will."

They started arguin' and we finally made it to the front of the line to get our tickets.

"Can I get four tickets to see The Lil' Mermaid?"

"The Lil' Mermaid?" That got them to shut the fuck up.

"Yeah, The Lil' Mermaid."

"That'll be twenty dollars."

"Cough up the do' Nicole."

"Why I always gotta pay?" She passed me a twenty.

"Because you got that rich ass mama."

"Leave her alone Alaina." Jayne knew she wanted to laugh.

"It's true though!" Alaina walked into the movie theater.

"Now, what are we going to see Tammy?" Nicole was pouting because everytime we talked about her mama she got extemely pissed off.

"The Lil' Mermaid, I told you."

"The Lil' Mermaid, oh hell no, I've got a rep to protect, how is it goin' look wit' me, Alaina Quisha Jones, walkin' into the movies to see The Lil' Mermaid? I'm goin' go see my girl Whitney in Waitin' To Exhale, holla." She started walkin' off but I grabbed her.

"What you think we goin' to see, you now you gotta be eightteen to see a rated R movie, now come on and lets go see Waitin' To Exhale."

We all got in the line for the movie, since they check yo' tickets befo' you walk to yo' movie I made sure we got in a the line were The Lil' Mermaid was playin' and Waitin' To Exhale is.

"To the left, last door on the left, enjoy."

"Thank you." Jayne did have some manners.

While we was walkin' down there we heard about maybe five boys talkin' all loud and Jayne had to say somethin' or she wouldn't be Jayne.

"Can ya'll shut the fuck up!"

"Excuse us Ms. P.Y.T., go on, sorry we interupted you and ya fine ass friends, did I mention my name is Dreux?" He put his hand out. Jay looked like she was goin' bite his hand off at any moment, but she put a smile on her face and shook his hand.

"Hey A."

"Who is, oh, hey Jarell." Alaina was cheesin' the whole damn time. He kissed her on the cheek and they laughed a little bit.

"This is my cousin Marques, my boys Dreux and De' Mario, and my other cousin Omari."

Omari was the one who caught my attention first. He smiled at me and I smiled back. He wore his hair in some ugly ass plaits though. Nicole was busy tryin' to spit game at Marques and De' Mario, but she knew she'd probably end up in the bed wit' Marques and just wanna be friends wit' De' Mario. Marques looked like he was about nineteen so thats a six year difference wit' them, but hey Nicole didn't care. Dreux and Jayne was freestylin' or somethin', all I know is she was smilin' for real.

"So, you friends wit' Alaina?" Omari was still smilin' at me.

"Yeah, grew up together."

"Where ya'll live?"

"We stay in "The Hills", you?"

"Inglewood."

"Oh, so you don't go to school wit' them?"

"Yeah, I go to my brother's house and stay most of the year."

"Oh, well, we gotta go, bye." We started walkin' off real fast, but they was still followin' us.

"Listen, can ya'll go away, it was nice talkin' to ya'll and all but we gotta go see this Waitin' To Exhale movie." That was Jayne, thinkin' that someone really wanted to follow her ass.

"That's what we goin' to see." Marques grabbed the ticket outta my hand. "Ya'll tickets say The Lil' Mermaid though."

"You think I'm goin' to see that lame ass movie, puh-lease, you must be kiddin'." Alaina had to make a big deal about it.

"Well since we all goin' to see the same thang, we can all sit by each otha." Jarell wrapped his arms around Alaina's waist.

"Fine wit' me, how 'bout ya'll?"

"I'm fine wit' it." We said that in perfect unision.

We sat all the way in the back where no one would probably see us, neva know who could be there at the movies.

"Alaina you want any popcorn?"

"No, it'll get stuck in my teeth, maybe some Twizzlers or somethin'."

"Okay, yo' De' Mario, go get me two bags of Twizzles and a large Sprite."

"Why I gotta get it?"

"Nigga, you know you goin' be askin' fo' some so what does it matter, now go."

"Fine, give me the money." Jarell passed him a ten.

"Bring my change back to."

"I will, anyone else want somethin'?"

"Get me a tub of popcorn and two cokes." Marques passed him a big ass fifty out of a wad of money.

"Damn." Nicole, Alaina, Jay, and I all gasped.

"Where you get all that money at, you do somethin' illegal?" Jayne was lookin' him dead in his eyes.

"Lets just say I do what I can do."

"Well you needa hook me up 'cause I'm low on cash." Jayne had her hands out.

"If you can do me a favor I can hook you up wit' two hundred."

"What?"

He whispered somethin' in her ear and she got this funny face.

"I'll pass."

"Fine wit' me, it's yo' loss."

"I'll do it." Nicole was smilin' her fake ass off."

Marques whispered somethin' in her ear.

"I'm not goin' do that for two hundred, no that's worth three Benjamins."

"Fine."

The movie started and De' Mario came back wit' the snacks. Passed me some popcorn even though I ain't ask for it. The majority of the movie Jarell was kissin' Alaina's neck and she was gigglin', Dreux kept starin' at Jayne like somethin' was wrong wit' her, De' Mario was eatin' the whole time, and in the middle of the movie Nicole and Marques left at seperate times, but they neva came back.

When the movie was over we all left and walked to the Pizza Hut.

"O, where Marq went, you know that's our ride back."

"He probably drove Nicole ho ass to his house, she probably lettin' him fuck her at this moment or she might be givin' him some head." Jayne sipped her soda.

"How you know?'' Alaina bit her pizza.

"That was his "favor" that he asked me to do."

"Oh, well expectin' her nasty ass she probably is doin' that."

"Ya'll friend that much of a ho?" Dreux was still starin' at Jayne, I woulda slapped him by know, I'm sorry to say.

"She ain't really a "ho ho-"

"Stop lyin' Jay, yes she is, she'll fuck you fasta then a rabbit can run." Alaina told the truth.

"Where in the hell did you hear that lame ass line?" I couldn't stand for my friends to use lines like that.

"Grandpa." She laughed a little. That's who she used to stay wit'. Then he was walkin' home one day from gettin' some milk and, pop, another innocent victim. That's why she always had them ol' ass lines to say about some shit.

"Well yo' Grandpa used some lines older then him probably." Jayne was pointin' her finga all at her.

"Jayne put yo' damn finga down."

"And if I don't what you goin' do?"

Alaina punched her really hard on her shoulder.

"Damn!" Dreux was lookin' at Alaina now. "You needa be a boxer or somethin', 'cause the way you hittin' is sure as hell goin' make a nigga cry."

"Yo' friend get in a lot of fights?" Omari was whispering in my ear.

"Oh, you needa be at school wit' us, if she get in a fight at school she'll make sure ain't no teachers around and beat the shit outta him or her." I was tryin' to whisper but he was breathin' on me and I was gettin' all nervous. Then this one magical moment happened between the two of us, he touched my knee!

"What's wrong wit' you girl, you actin' like you ain't neva been touched by a nigga."

"I have, but um, um, he usually is my boyfriend." I was straight lyin' to this boy.

"I bet you got a boyfriend right now don't you?"

"No, we just broke up." Another lie.

"He had to stupid if he gave you up."

"Yeah, he was in the class that can't catch the ball."

"Can't catch the ball?"

"He's a lil' slow."

"Oh!" We started laughin' but then I started wonderin' if Omari was really slow 'cause most people get that line.

"I know you probably think I'm stupid." He read that right off the top of my head. "But I ain't, I get all A's and usually one B on my report cards."

I turned my head to look at everyone else. I mean I get all A's and B's too, but from the shit he's said so far I could figure out that Omari either didn't have a life or he was a straight up nerd, loser, lame, whateva you wanna say.

"So can I get ya numba?"

Nigga came on to me fast. I was debatin' whether or not to give him my seven digits. He gave me a smile that said, "I don't know what you want me to do" so I gave him the number.

"Call me, please, I ain't waste my time for nothin'."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure I call you."

Just then Marques and Nicole some how found us.

"Hey, Marq, Marq, come on ova her." Jarell had to be from Compton or somethin' 'cause only on word described him: ghetto.

Marques came over to us all smilin' and stuff and there was little Nicole. She didn't look so good. She was smilin' a little bit but not as much. I knew somethin' had to be wrong wit' her.

"Alaina can you get me somethin' to drink?"

"What the fuck is wrong wit' yo' got damn legs!"

"I'll get it Nicole, what you want?"

"Thanks Tammy, can you get me some Pepsi or somethin', I don't care."

"Yeah, I'll go get it."

The whole time we was in Pizza Hut she would cut her eyes at Marques and when he saw her she'd smile a little bit and he'd get this big ass smile on his face then he'd kiss her on the cheek.

"So ya'll ready to go?" Marques was stretchin' his arms so they'd fall over Nicole and Alaina.

"Yeah." Alaina picked his hand up and put it in his lap. "But can you give us a ride, 'cause I don't think the bus is runnin' right now."

"Yeah, I'll give ya'll a ride, come on."

When we got to his car nigga had a Mercedes. The only problem was we couldn't all fit in this small ass car.

"Marques how we goin' get in this damn car, it's to small." Jayne was hugged up on Dreux since it was a little chilly outside.

"Um, you sit on Dreux's lap, Jarell yo' girl can sit on you, Omari get um, what's her face wit' you, De' Mario you can sit up here wit' me and Nicole."

"Wow, what would we do wit' out you nigga." Jarell was gettin' smart wit' Marques and Marques knew it.

"Listen bitch, if you wanna catch a mothafuckin' attitude wit' me, do it another damn day, 'cause today just ain't the day." Marques unlocked the doors. "Come on ya'll, we gotta get them back home."

The whole ride home was quiet. Alaina ain't even say nothin', which was unusual 'cause she always talk when some boys was around. Dreux kept peakin' Jayne on the lips and Jayne was tryin' to turn away but she couldn't. When we made it to my house everyone got out but Nicole.

"Nic, come on." Alaina was tryin' to pull her out.

"I'll catch up wit' you later, just stay up till like two o'clock."

"Two o'clock, I'mma have wrinkles 'cause of yo' ass, get outta the car now, come on." I had to make sure she got out because I wasn't gonna risk lookin' like a fifty year old when I was only twenty-five.

"Fine, I'm comin'. Bye Marques and company." She kissed Marques on the cheek and we all ran inside.

"Damn Alaina, you meet some of the worst boys don't you?" Jayne was takin' her shoes off.

"You gotta learn how to handle 'em is what you gotta do." She was lookin' at her neck in the mirror. "Can ya'll see this?" She pointin' at the big ass hickie on her neck.

"Hell yeah." I just had to reply to that one.

"You goin' get pregnant messin' around wit' all these boys Alaina." Jayne was in a split position stretching.

"I'm not the one who don't know how to say "no" am I Jayne?"

"Oh shut up, what's wrong wit' you Nicole?" Finally, I wasn't the only person who noticed.

"Oh, nothin', just thinkin' about somethin'."

"Did you fuck him?"

"Alaina that was real random."

"I just wanna know Tammy, she was gone long enough."

"You really wanna know Alaina, since you always gotta start shit wit' me, you really really wanna know I bet."

"Um, let me think, yeah!"

"Fine, sit down and shut up."

We all sat in a little kindergarten position.

"Well, me and Marq went to this hotel and he was all touchin' on me and stuff so he was in the mood and I was too, so-"

"You fucked the nigga, oh shit, was it good?" Alaina was rollin' around on the floor crackin' up.

"Yeah." She smiled when she said that. "But-"

"Was his thing big?" Even Jayne was into it.

"Yeah, but let me finish. The sex was good but, we forgot one thing."

"What was that?"

"He ain't have a rubba wit' him soooo."

"Wait, did you give him head?"

"Yeah."

"So you fucked him and sucked his dick, oh hell no!" Alaina jumped up and was walkin' around in circles sayin' somethin'.

"A sit down and calm down, he gave me these pills, said they should help me out, said it'll help me from gettin' pregnant." She pulled some white pills out that looked like breath mints and Alaina grabbed one.

"What is this, aspirin?"

"It look like some breath mints in my opinion." I was still just starin' at 'em.

Jayne was laughin' about something.

"What's so funny Jay?" Nicole had started shakin' a little bit.

"Nothin', it's just that, ya'll must've been asleep in health class 'cause that not aspirin."

"So it's must be some birth control." I just decided to blurt that out.

"Nope."

"What is it then Jay, stop leavin' us wonderin'." Alaina was gettin' mad.

"You supposed to be the smartest of us all A, that's X."

"Wait, I'm takin' drugs?"

"Yeah, hope you ain't take one of those pills yet."

"Yeah, I took 'em right afta he gave 'em to me."

"Well throw 'em away now 'cause I ain't goin' be havin' my crazy aunt gettin' mad at me 'cause she find some shit like that in her house."

"I'll throw 'em away don't worry 'bout it, what we needa worry about is if I'm pregnant."

"You'll find out soon don't worry 'bout it."

~~~~

"Come on Bulldogs, let's go, go, go!" I'm one of those damn spunky cheerleaders that don't even go to the school.

"Put it in the hoop Rell, put it in the hoop nigga." That's what Alaina's been sayin' the whole time at this game. Nicole's been goin' back and forth to the bathroom and Jayne's been doin' the usual.

"Listen niggas I spit rhymes/don't be jealous 'cause/I'm goin' kill it even if I gotta shot this nigga/ain't no reason to be battlin' someone as fly as me/may as well back the fuck up/I ain't a duck/if I am nigga ya in much luck/don't fuck wit' the freestylin' queen of Cali/so now it's time to back the fuck up/'cause if you win it was luck." All these boys was givin' her dap and shit. Tellin' her how she killed it.

"Damn shawty, who taught you how da rap." Some boy had Jayne by the arm.

"Yo' mama."

"Oohh!"

"Now let me the fuck go."

"Fine, you ain't gotta act like a damn bitch."

"Well I must not be that much of a bitch 'cause yo' daddy sure as hell wasn't complainin' 'bout it, goodbye." Jayne started walkin' ova by me when this nigga decides that he ain't done talkin' to Jay.

"Hey bitch, don't walk off from me like that." He grabbed Jay and turned her around.

"Listen nigga, I ain't do shit to yo' ass, all I did was beat you in a freestylin' contest."

"No, they neva said who the winner was."

"Ain't no reason, I know I won."

"Let's make a bet, if I win I get whateva I want from you."

"And if I win?"

"You get whateva you want from me, deal?" The lil' snake put his hand out and pushed his big ass lips up into a smile.

"Deal." Jayne shook his hand.

When they said he won I was shocked and I knew Jay and Dreux was. I already knew he was gonna win, all his niggas was the judges. And there was one thing that he wanted.

"Give me some pussy."

"Some what!"

"You heard me girl, p-u-s-s-y, pussy."

"I bet that's the only word you know how to spell nigga, come on Jay." Dreux had got Jay's hand and started walking off but the nigga wouldn't stop talkin' his junk.

"I said I want some pussy and I'll get it no matter what, a bets a bet."

"And no is no nigga, now step the fuck off." Jayne turned back around and started walking again.

"I bet she ain't givin' me none 'cause she 'bout to suck Dreux's dick, ya'll know hoes like that." All his friends started laughin' at that but Dreux took that shit serious. Next thing I know the police pullin' Dreux off of the boy and puttin' him in some handcuffs so he wouldn't kill the boy. The other boy was bleedin' real bad, Dreux had fucked him up to tell the truth.

"You 'bout to regret this nigga, watch yo' damn back bitch, watch yo' damn back!" The police carried that dumbass boy off and took the handcuffs off Dreux. Dreux rushed outta the gym and it looked like he was gonna cry 'cause his face was real red. Jayne was just standin' there all stupid like she was to good to go check on the nigga who had just helped her so I went.

Dreux was standin' in the hall up against the wall cryin', he ain't look as good when he cried though. The fight had messed his ponytail up and his hair was everywhere.

"You looked fucked up nigga."

"Leave me the hell alone Omari's girl."

"I'm not "Omari's girl" I'm Tammy, I don't even go out wit' that nigga."

"Well get ready is all I can say."

"Yeah, that was real nice, beatin' him up and all, I'm sure Jay is thankful and all."

"If her ass is so thankful why she ain't out her thankin' me?"

"That's Jayne for you, your always the victim in her little game, you look like you need some help." I pulled my comb out and pulled the rubberband outta his hair.

"Thanks." While I was doin' his hair over he started tellin' me how he liked how Jayne rapped and stuff. Said he neva had it this bad for a girl. I know Jayne ain't really like him, hell Jayne barely liked any boys.

"So you sayin' you got it bad for Jayne?"

"Yeah."

I put his hair in the ponytail.

"We must not be talkin' 'bout the same girl, Jayne who always freestylin' against boys, the one who think she a thug, and act like a tomboy?"

"Yeah." We started laughin' a little bit.

"Why don't you ask her out?"

"She like thirteen and I'm fourteen, you do the math."

"And you listen to Aaliyah: Age ain't nothin' but a number, love ain't nothin' but a thang."

"Fine, I'll ask her out."

"Good boy." I patted him on his head.

"Funny, real funny."

"Go in there and ask her out now."

He took his shirt off since it had blood and just wore his red short sleeved shirt. That nigga was gonna get killed if he stepped outside represetin' some damn Bloods.

When I walked back out to the gym everyone was leavin'. Dreux's school won the game. Jayne looked mad as hell when Dreux started talkin' to her.

"Hell no I ain't goin' out wit' yo' no good ass."

"What, I beat some nigga up for you and this is how you repay me?"

"I coulda beat his ass myself."

"Well you sure as hell was actin' like you was scared of him."

"I wasn't, I was waitin' to see what the dog was gonna do."

"You know what, you ain't nothin' but a grimey little bitch, see if I eva help yo' ass out again, peace."

"Goodbye nigga, and so long!"

Dreux started walkin' out and I was gonna follow him till I seen Omari.

"Yo' Tammy, what's up?" He hugged me and I felt all warm and stuff inside.

"Nothin', you?"

"Nothin', just chillin', waitin' on Rell to come out from the locker room and all."

"Oh, so you here wit' someone else like a girlfriend or somethin'?"

"I ain't got no girlfriend."

"Oh, to bad."

"So you got a boyfriend?"

"Um, no I don't, but I'm lookin' for that someone."

"Okay, so you heard 'bout Marques and ya girl?"

"Otha then she fucked him what else could there be?"

"I heard she pregnant."

"Not Nicole."

"Yeah, Nicole."

"Well I'm the last person to know about it I guess."

"Guess so."

"Well um, I really gotta go, sorry 'bout that."

"Um can I have yeah phone numba?"

"That's kinda random ain't it?"

"Well I'mma random person."

"Here, call me anytime you want." I put it on his hand.

"I'll do that then, bye."

"Bye."

When I walked out of the gym I saw Nicole talkin' to Marques. He was sayin' somethin' to her and she had her hand out like and she was screamin'.

"Nicole, what's wrong wit' you?" I had put my hand on her shoulder.

"Nothin', now get the fuck off me Tammy." She kept brushin' her shoulders off even afta I had took my hand off her shoulder. "So Marques is you down or what?"

"Hell naw, you give me what I want and I give you what you want."

"Fine Marques, Tammy can you leave, I'm takin' care of some personal business okay, so can you back the fuck up!"

"Fine, I'm gone, my Aunt Lisa is hear, peace."

"Bye, you act like I give a damn."

"Fuck you and ya bastard baby."

"How the hell you know 'bout it?"

"Peace!"

"Hey, Tammy can yo' aunt give me a ride home?"

"Yeah Alaina, come on."

"Bye Rell." She kissed that boy like he really was her boyfriend, knowin' that they was just probably make out partners.

"Alaina why you always kissin' that boy, is he yo' boyfriend or somethin'?" I was real angry and jealous 'cause at times I wish that was me and Omari. Alaina and Rell had the same interests and all that stuff. He always came by her house to see her or he'd end up callin' her and that would cut my conversations wit' her short.

"So did ya'll enjoy the game?" My auntie was always into my stuff, hell she ain't nothin' but twenty-five. My mama kinda had a, how do you say it? A drug problem. No I ain't no crack baby, my mama had me when she was thirteen. All this drug stuff started afta I was bornin' she started doin' all that stuff when she met her new boyfriend. He was a drug dealer, probably one of the best on the street. She'd fuck him here and there and she'd get a little "treat" for her good dead or deads.

One day while she was ridin' in the car wit' him while he was doin' a major drug deal and some fools he owed money to started shootin' at them. She died and my little brother died. Since she had me at a young age my family was constantly tellin' me: "Don't end up pregnant like yo' mama or you gonna regret it" or my favorite one "We don't want no little bastards runnin' around in this family." Yeah, that was my family. I wasn't really accepted either. People would talk about me and stuff when they saw me.

"The game was real good Lisa, you shoulda saw it, my boyfriend scored like twenty points the whole game!"

"So you got a boyfriend now Alaina?"

"Yeah, known him for awhile. We go all the way back to basketball camp."

"That's cute, but is he fine as hell?" We all started to laugh. That's why I like stayin' wit' a aunt who's not that much older then me.

After we dropped Alaina off my aunt took me to the grocercy store. She said she needed to get somethin' since she had her boyfriend comin' by tomorrow. That meant in her secret language, "Yo' ass betta find a place to stay tomorrow 'cause me and my man got some business to tend to." I loved my aunt though she was basically a mother to me.

"Go to sleep Tam, I don't want no ugly niece, got it?"

"Got it. Good night Auntie Lisa." She kissed me on the forehead. Your neva to old for kisses in my opinion 'cause you neva know when your last day will be. "I love you."

"Love you to homie, night."

"Don't let the boys bite."

"Yeah, that's right."

The next day Omari called me, thank you Jesus. He tried to make his voice deeper but it ain't work out. He told me how he watched me walk in my jeans and velour suits. I found out he was stalkin' me 'cause the nigga had only seen me a couple of times. Said that he would go to my school and hide just to watch me walk and smile. I was beginning to wonder if I had to get a restraining against him. I neva knew of a man who watched a girl that much.

"So Omari, what do you wanna do for a livin'?"

"Maybe be a lawyer or somethin' you know, just wanna get outta these damn streets."

"I know how you feel, I think there's more to life then drugs, gang bangers, and fights all the time."

"Yeah, I could probably be a singer if I wanted to."

"Oh, you can sing?"

"Yeah."

"Sing somethin' to me then."

He song this by Boyz II Men, nigga had some pipes on him.

"That was good Omari."

"Thanks, neva song to a girl before though."

"Then who you sing to, Rell and Dreux?"

"Nah, I usually sing in the shower."

"Well you needa sing to some record company so you can hurry up and get outta these streets."

"When I get out of these streets I'mma take you wit' me."

"Thanks."

That part really touched me. He was only fifteen and he had dreams, BIG dreams.

"Thanks Omari."

"I want you to have my kids Tammy."

Kids! What kids? I think this boy is gettin' a little to ahead of himself. I gotta hang up.

"Oh, I'm losin' my connection wit' you." I was crunchin' a piece of peppermint paper up. "Can you hear me?"

"What you say?"

"Sorry, I gotta go." I hung that phone up so fast.

I ran out of the house and walked all the way to A's house and rung the doorbell.

"Who is it?"

"It's Tammy."

She opened the door and I saw some Indian lookin' girl on her couch. She was a little heavy and had Chinese lookin' eyes.

"Alaina who is that?"

"Oh, that's my best friend Faith."

"Best Friend" I thought I was her best friend. Whoever this trick was all I knew was that she betta back the fuck down. Alaina was my best friend and only my best friend. I'm stingy can't help it.

"How long you knew her?"

"We go all the way back to diapers. Faith?"

"Huh?" She looked over at us.

"This is my friend Tammy, Tammy Faith, Faith Tammy."

"Hey Tammy."

"Hey Faith."

I felt like jumpin' down this girls throat.

"So Tammy do you go to school with Alaina?"

"Yeah, how do you know her though?"

"I used to live out here in Cali till my parents moved us to Georgia."

"Oh, so how long you gonna be down here?"

"Couple of days, weeks, months, years."

So this means I'll have more competion. It's bad enough I gotta compete wit' her ninth grade boyfriend, now this. I needa hurry up and hook up wit' Omari or I needa hang out wit' Jayne more often. No, what am I talkin' 'bout, Jayne's a nerd wit' a capital N-E-R-D. She was just known for rappin' and that's all. She was a used to be cheerleader who was washed up. I guess I betta get used to sharin' now.

"So, do you play any sports Faith?"

"I'mma a cheerleader."

"Oh, really, didn't look like the type."

I hope she took that the wrong way.

"Don't judge a book by it's cover."

What type of shit is that! She was anotha smart girl.

"What do you mean by that?"

"I know you know so it doesn't matter, you look like a smart girl."

"Thanks." One mothafucka, two mothafuckas, three mothafuckas, inhale, exhale.

"Um, anyone hungry?" Alaina was tryin' to break the ice I guess.

"No." Faith said quickly and smiled at me.

"Same here."

"Well lets go down to the basketball courts or somethin'."

"Yeah, I love playin' basketball." I was lyin' right through my teeth.

"Since when have you loved to play basketball?"

"Don't pretend, I can play and you know it."

"Yeah, whateva, come on Faith."

They walked out the door first and left me and I came running right behind them.

"So Faith, what's been up wit' Rudy?"

"Oh, nothin' much, he go to this school in Georgia called Hephzibah High."

"Sound like a much of rednecks."

"It basically is, a whole much of white boys and girls go there. If you wanna play softball you gotta be real good."

"Oh, so where you go to school at?"

"I go to Morgan Road."

"Sounds kinda black."

"Trust me, it is. We got a few gay couples that go to that school to."

"Do they get into fights?"

"Yeah, one boy boyfriend had some hickies on his neck and he was about to fight this otha boy and he was all like,"Leave my man alone."

"Oh shit foreal!" She got all excited and was laughin' like crazy. "I needa come to Georgia a few times. Any cute boys?"

"Oh yes! We got this boy named Elvin who go to our school and he is so fuckin' fine, but he a little slow, you know."

"You got any pictures of him?"

"Yeah, I always keep one in my purse." She pulled a picture of this boy out who had some cat lookin' eyes and wore his hair in braids. Alaina was actin' a damn fool. She neva acted this way around me or the other girls, I guess this girl Faith just changed how she acted period.

"So Faith, did you like it better in Georgia or Cali?" I had to say somethin', I mean I had to let this bitch know that Alaina was my friend and only my friend.

"Well, Georgia got stuff a little cheaper down there, but Cali got a lot of fine boys."

"Does this Elvin boy have a girlfriend?" Alaina was still lookin' at that damn picture until I snacted it outta her hands. "Why in the hell did you do that?"

"You have a boyfriend I don't, so get the picture through your head, got it?"

"I don't know why you wanna act like such a damn bitch Tammy, but you needa watch how you talk to me."

"Um, I'm sensing a little anger between you two...yeah, a lot of anger." That crazy girl was movin' her hands in circle.

"Do you understand this, fuck you." I put my middle finger up and pointed it at her.

"Go suck a dick." She bobbled her head up and down. This girl was really gettin' on my nerves and I had just met her.

"Listen, I don't know you but I don't wanna get in a fight wit' you afta I just met you okay?"

"Yeah, okay, but I ain't start it first of all. You didn't have any right to say I didn't look like the "cheerleading" type. How would you feel if I said you ain't look like the "straight" type?"

"I would wanna bust you in yo' fuckin' mouth is what I would feel like doin'." I stepped up to her and she stepped up to me.

"Ain't nothin' but time and space between us so do what you gotta do."

"Okay, that's enough." Alaina seperated the two of us luckily. "Why ya'll actin' like a much of damn kids?"

"She started the shit so I was gonna finish it." I guess Faith just wanted her ass beat 'cause ain't one girl in this part of Cali had the dick to step up to me. I mean I had mad respect for the girl but I wasn't about to let some new girl take MY best friend and my throne as Queen of Cali, well princess really. We had some girl who stayed here and they still afraid of her and she almost thirty.

"Listen A, when you lose this girl come talk to me, bye." I started walking back to my house when I saw Marques's car pull up by me.

"Looks like you could use a ride."

I was trying to avoid him so I kept walking but he kept following.

"You can't get away from me Tammy, and you know it."

"Did yo' stalkin' brotha send you to follow me or somethin'?"

"No, I just thought I might visit you or somethin'."

"Your Nicole's man, not mine."

"I'm not that hoes man."

That's when I stopped walkin' and he stopped drivin' his car.

"You got her ass pregnant and you callin' her a ho?"

"Who knows, that might not even be my child."

"You just like every otha man ain't you? You fuck a girl and as soon as she tell you she might have a baby on the way you sayin' she a ho."

"Your friend is the one who said she'd fuck me for some money."

"Well you shoulda said no."

"I made the offer and she agreed, besides, it's not like a nigga finds a girl who'll fuck him and give him head."

"Is Omari just like you?"

"Nah, he has "dreams" and wants to leave the hood. The hood is supplyin' me wit' everything that I need, money, respect, hoes, what else could a nigga ask for."

"Listen, all I know is that when baby that pops out you betta be right there supportin' it."

"Don't even trip off of it, the speed that yo' friend goin' I'll be damned if that baby survives."

"What you mean you'll "be damned" if that baby survives?"

"Your friend will do anything for some X, sex, head, let some niggas run a train on her ass."

"Nicole ain't takin' none of that shit."

"That's what you think. Yo' friend all into that shit girl, I wouldn't be surprised if she have crack problem next week."

"Well if you stay the hell away from her she won't have that type of problem will she?"

"Your friend been doin' drugs girl."

"You ain't neva met Nicole Marques."

"I ain't neva met her but I seen her ass. Sneakin' into clubs, gettin' drunk, smokin' weed, then goin' home wit' some random nigga she barely know."

"I don't believe you. You just some high school drop out that started dealin' this shit and you gonna end up anotha body in the streets."

"Yeah, whateva, listen, my little brotha O wanna see you so you got two options, one get in this car and go see him or two I force you in this car and you still go see him."

"Is that supposed to scare me?"

"If you want it to it can, but I'm tryin' to be nice so get in the car, please."

I knew this was gonna be a bad mistake but my best friend had just blew me off so what harm could it be. I got in the car and he drove me to his house where Omari was at.

"O, I got ya girl now come get her." Marques went into the kitchen.

Omari got off the couch and hugged me.

"Why did you send your brother to get me?"

"Because I wanted to see you that's why."

"Well you coulda called me you know?"

"When I did call you your phone was breakin' up."

"Oh, yeah, sorry about that, that happens wit' our phone sometimes."

"It's All right. So I was wondering if you wanted to do something later on today."

"Like what?"

"Go see a movie, talk, get to know each other better, maybe get somethin' to eat."

"I don't know, my aunt might want me back in the house by like seven o'clock." I was lyin' again to the boy, but I had to be careful wit' him since he did come to my school just to see me walk and stuff. If I said I thought he was crazy he might flip and do somethin' crazy.

"Come on, have a little fun, yo' aunt won't mind she look cool." He had grabbed me by the waist and was holdin' me right up to him.

"She look fine too." Marques came out wit' a sandwich and a soda.

"Mind yo' damn business please." I had to say that to him.

"Ignore him." Omari turned my face back to him. "Now can you answer my question, please?''

"Um, I'd love to go somewhere wit' you." I couldn't front, I had it bad for him too, but I ain't stalk him.

"Good." He kissed me one thing that I shouldn't have let him do. "Now come on."

He started pullin' me somewhere.

"Where you takin' me Omari?"

"My room."

I stopped.

"Why in the hell am I going to your room?"

I guess he thought I was gonna fuck him that quick.

"I wanted to show you somethin'."

I looked at him funny.

"Not like that Tammy." He started laughin'. "It's about the singin' stuff."

"Oh, sorry 'bout that."

"If I was you I'd be wondering "where in the hell is this nigga takin' me I barely know his ass" it's All right, I'm not that kinda guy."

"I guess I don't have much to worry about now do I?"

"Nope, now come on."

I went to Omari's room still a little puzzled. I mean I barely knew the boy and I'm going to his room. I just had to remember what my aunt said, keep my panties up and he won't get in unless wit' some luck.

"So what's up."

"I just wanted you to listen to this."

He passed me a tape player and put some headphones on my ears and pressed play. It was this Keith Sweat song all I remember was Omari singing: I want you to holla baby till you want me to stop and who can love you like me. Then I just remember kissing him.

We don't want no little bastards runnin' around in this family. Don't end up pregnant like yo' mama or you'll regret it.

Those thoughts kept poppin' up in my head. I mean, I wasn't doin' nothin' but kissin' him and I felt like I was gonna get pregnant at any moment. I pulled away from him.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothin' I just don't feel to comfortable doin' all this stuff."

"What stuff?"

"This kissin' in your room and all."

"Tammy you ain't gonna get pregnant just from kissin' me."

"I know that, but we barely know each other Omari."

"We'll everytime I try talkin' to you somethin' happens like your phone breaks up or you have to go somewhere."

"Well, it's not my fault okay, stuff just happens."

"Everytime I try talkin' to you?"

"We'll I can't help what-"

"Yo' O, Dreux and Rell here for you nigga." Marques just cut me off.

"Tell 'em to come on back here."

"Dreux is the nigga that wanna just hit/got girls screamin' my name-"

"The only girl screamin' yo' name is yo' mama nigga, what's up nigga."



© Copyright 2006 Jwahir Jones (jwahir_jones at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053383-Streets-Is-Callin