*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053565-The-Dangers-of-People-Watching
by April
Rated: E · Fiction · Writing · #1053565
Flash fiction
Prompt: Write a story in which the main character is watching someone

The Dangers of People Watching…

Coffee shops are a great place to watch people. I've always thought so, and that's what inspired me to open one of my own. Kate's Coffee was born out of a love of people watching and a love of coffee. The shop has been in business for just about eight months, since my graduation from college. It's always been a dream of mine to own a business.

Something happened when the shop opened though. I realized I would get to do a lot of people watching, but I never expected what happened. I fell for with a customer.

His name is Shane, he comes in every day for a chocolate chip scone and a house coffee. He sits at a table by the window. Shane spends a lot of time here, sipping his coffee and watching people as he writes. I haven't said much to him, but--oh, here he comes. I think he needs a refill.--

"Hey Kate, can I get a refill to go?"

"Sure thing Shane. Can I get you another scone?"

"Nah, I'm good. Still working on the first. I thought I'd take it home with me."

I smiled. "How's the writing going?"

"It's coming along. I think it's done. Thank you for the use of your little shop."

I kept it together until he left, then went back to my spot behind the counter. This was a shock.

He won't be coming back. My nerves killed my last chance.

Ah…I guess that's the dangers of people watching in a café. Things happen that you can't always plan for.
© Copyright 2006 April (abamburg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1053565-The-Dangers-of-People-Watching