*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1054712-Fiery-Gazes
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1054712
A single gaze can change anything.
There it was again, that same look. The burning glare that told him he had been seen. The master was angry with him, and knew what he had done, inside he could still feel the burning glare of Master Tolivan, stinging him with every nerve in his body. He had broken the system, fallen short of the expected. He was going to be punished.
Hidra met the masters gaze once more, quickly, then turned away, furious. He turned his focus now to examine the room for some way to get out. He needed to escape. There, the door, it was open just a little. Common sense told him it was dangerous, probably deadly. How often had he listened to common sense though?
He slowly turned his body towards the door, and the urge to escape overcame him. Where was he going to go? What would happen now that he was going to break free...surely it had never been attempted before. He looked back, the rest of the room was silently listening to Tolivan. They're all a bunch of damned fools to stay here, he thought to himself. He couldn't linger any more though. He checked the door once more, then, when the time was right, released his hold on the chair and ran for the door, slamming it shut as he ran...he didn't know where, anywhere but here was good enough.
Hidra was running faster than ever now, he could hear the voices of the Master and others...didn't they even know who they were following? He saw the front door, and ran for it, getting farther and farther away from them with every step. He opened the front door, and ran without stopping once again. His sides were burning, he wasn't going to last much onger...what was it worth now...it's all just a game.
Damn! Dont't think like that!
He was running out of ways to avoid them now, he had thrown down everything in his path, and it seemed like he couldn't last much longer.
A forest. A huge, shadowy, thick forest. Right in front of him. This was his element, not that...that thing he'd just left. He would be back...not today maybe, but he would be back.
He was in the forest alone now, and he felt like he was returning to something, but he couldn't grasp it yet...dammit he hated this feeling.
Why did he feel so at home here? He felt like he'd been here before...once...at another time. He studied the forest as he walked through it, searching for a reason he'd come here of all places. The darkness of the forest wasn't overwhelming, it added a sense of alertness to him. He was in his...element.
FLASH! Growth was all around. In a clearing, in the midst of ruins, stood a girl, about seventeen, wearing a white dress, and covered with a deep, encompassing blue cloak. Her striking green eyes stood out, almost covered completely by her lush red hair. She knelt in front of a body, surrounded now by others, men and women, who wore similar attire. Tears fell across her cheeks and onto the body of...a man. The face was not visible, but it felt familiar, nonetheless. She shook with pain, falling upon him, cluthching the dead man close to her. The others standing around her watched, weeping in sorrow and anger. FLASH!
"Wha...what was that?!" He asked, feeling a rush of panic and confusion come over him. Nothing like that had ever happened to him before; could it have been a flashback? No way, there was no past for him to remember in the first place. They had taken it from him. Yet, questions continued to run through his mind. Was this man one of their fallen comrades? Had he done something powerful? Were the two of them in love?
He looked around the dense green forest for answers, but it only answered back with silence, the same familiar feeling of remembrance came over him. As insignificant as he was, could he have known anyone like that at some point in his existence? There

© Copyright 2006 M. K. Tschida (tolkienstyle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1054712-Fiery-Gazes