*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1055238-Why-i-Quit-Basketball
Rated: E · Essay · Personal · #1055238
This is a short essay explaining the real reasons i quit basketball and to disprove rumors
Some of you know that I quit basketball, it isn't because I'm a quitter or a loser or I can't take the pressure of playing a high school sport. All of the reasons lead back to one event. I will start at the beggining. My dad was making me go to Central Catholic because he wanted me to have a catholic education. I had gone to orientations and open houses and I didn't like it there, but that is a story for another essay. Anyways, I was playing football for Central when during one of the pratices another kid rolled over my ankle. The trainer looked at it and thought it was a minor sprain. He sent me home and I went to bed. When I woke up my ankle hurt so bad i could not even think about moving it. My mom took me to the orthopedic surgeon and I got it x-rayed. He said there was nothing he could do at the clinic so he told me to go to the hospital. I was admitted into the hospital and slept through the night only because of morphine and whenever it wore off in the night I would wake up and they would have to give me more. In the morning I was given medicine to knock me out and had emergency surgery. When I woke up, I had on a bright orange cast and two screws in my ankle. I spent eight weeks on crutches and then went thorugh 5 more weeks of phisical therapy. After four weeks though, I was allowed to participate in physical activity, but only in a limited amount. Add that together and I spent 12 weeks or 3 months not doing any physical activity. I lost all of my stamina and I also lost all the strength in my ankle. When i started basketball I thought it all would come right back, but it didn't. When ever I played my ankle hurt and I had to take advil and ice it when I got home. And it still hasn't gotten much better. I got a little strength and stamina back but it still hurts and is still swollen. I never thought a simple broken ankle could take me out for so long. But I guess a tibial fracture that went into my growth plate is worse than I thought. I will keep working to return to my previous condition but it will be a long and hard road, And thats the reason I quit basketball and not because I didn't play. It was because I couldnt play.
© Copyright 2006 Jon Petrik (steelersfanag4 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1055238-Why-i-Quit-Basketball