*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1055664-Long-Journey
by Nikki
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1055664
this is a speech i wrote about my eating disorder
Hi, I'm Nikki. Some of you may know me. I go to school here and I'm in tenth grade. But something you may not have known about me is I'm a recovering anoretic. I'm here today to talk to you about eating disorders. I know what you're probably thinking. Why have an assembly on it when you learn about it in health? What a waste of time, right? Not exactly , because no offense to the health teachers but, what they show isn't the best way to teach about eating disorders.
I have noticed that many people in this school suffer from eating disorders, and many don't understand it at all. I dont blame people for not understanding because, i admit, before i started my struggle with my eating disorder, i didn't understand it at all.
There are three types of eating disorders. Anorexia, which is characterized by restricting of food and excessive exercise. Bulimia, which is characterized by bingeing and purging, excessive exercise, or taking of laxatives. And eating disorders not otherwise specified, which includes all people who fall in between the requirements to be classified as anorexic or bulimic.
First of all, let me get rid of some common misconceptions about eating disordered people. First of all, anorexics usually don't stop eating all together, they restrict themselves. Anything under 900 calories is a starvation diet. Basically, the amount of food the person is taking in is not enough for the body to function properly. Second of all, you don't have to be underweight to have an eating disorder. The mental aspect is much more prevailing when struggling through this disease and even if a person isn't underweight, they can still be miserable and suffering.
I think that when the school teaches about eating disorders, they tend to focus on the physical aspects more than the mental. But the mental are the most important aspects. Most people with eating disorders, and i say most because everyone is an individual, have a very bad body image. When they look in the mirror, no matter how thin they get, they see themselves as fat. You probably don't believe me, because it sounds absolutely crazy, but it's very true and very hard to deal with. Also, many people with eating disorders are constantly thinking about food. Every minute of the day is spent on what they will eat, what they won't eat. And worst of all, many times a person can't even look at food without mentally counting the calories.
One of the hardest things with people our age suffering with eating disorders is that people throw around the word fat like it's no big deal. And to many people it isn't a big deal. However, for someone who is even the least bit self-conscious, a comment like that could hurt them so much. And most people don't even realize that they're hurting the other person because it was all a joke. People with eating disorders have a hard time looking at the positive aspects of the things people say. A comment like "you look healthy" can hurt them because many of them dont want to look healthy. A comment like "you look good" can make them think they need to lose more weight to look even better. No comment is taken well, which makes it very hard for the person to be satisfied.
One thing you should also know is there is nothing you can personally do to make it all better. It is better for you to just be there for the person and hug them when they need a hug, listen to them when they need someone to listen. You should never attack the person and tell them to get help. Don't abandon the person because it'll make it much harder. Don't make the person feel guilty. Just support them at the time they need it most.
So how does this all begin? It really depends on the individual. Many people begin because they want control, many people begin because they're self conscious. Many times it starts as just "a little diet" and progresses as time goes on. A person will start restricting more and more food until they're barely eating anything at all. And usually this happens so fast that the person will barely even realize. Many people with eating disorders have a lot of trouble admitting that they have a problem.
Even though the mental aspects are dominant, i think the medical aspects need to be addressed too. When depriving your body of necessary nutrients, the body often starts eating away at the internal organs and muscle for nutrients. A person will feel weak. The heart will slow down, bringing the pulse very low. Many people also become orthostatic, which causes them to become very dizzy when they stand up. Also Amenorrhea, or the loss of 3 or more consecutive menstrual cycles, can occur in a female because the hormones are not able to work correctly. Anemia can result due to iron deficiency. Loss of white blood cells cause an increased risk of sickness. Osteopenia or Osteoperosis can also occur due to loss of bone density.
The first step in treating an eating disorder is getting help. It may sound easy but it's one of the hardest things to do because most people with eating disorders don't want help. The idea of going to the doctor brings the fear of gaining weight. But people who get help are extremely lucky because living with an eating disorder is one of the hardest things i personally have ever experienced. If you are struggling with an eating disorder, please, get help. Come to me if you are too afraid to go to your parents. Go to a guidance counselor. Go to the nurse. Go to anyone, because once you get help things will feel so much better. Some hospitals that have really good programs are Renfrew New York and Schneiders Children Hospital, which is where i went.
So i hope by listening to this you are able to understand eating disorders at least a little bit better. Please, if you have an eating disorder, get help. If you know someone who has an eating disorder, be supportive, sometimes they just need a hug and to know that someone is there for them. And most of all, be careful of your use of the word fat, because it can be much more harmful then you'd think.
© Copyright 2006 Nikki (nikkidogg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1055664-Long-Journey