*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1056748-September
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1056748
Read this amazing fantasy about a girl and her brother's adventure
September
By Meredith Baughman

“September! September! Guess what!” September’s younger brother Norbert shouted as he burst though the door.
“What?”
“You have to guess!”
“I give up, just tell me and get out of my room,” September replied.
“It’s not your room it’s our family’s garage, you’re just using it as a room.”
“Norbert, either tell me what you came here to say or GET OUT!” September screamed. She had lost her patience with her little brother.
“Fine! Geeze, you don’t have to scream at me like that. Okay. Here it goes. The fuel for the eternal flame of our town has been stolen! The flame will only last a few more weeks before it goes out!”
“Whoever stole it was stupid,” she replied. “I mean, our town is so small. If I wanted to kill a bunch of people I would steal the fuel of Bowrain. Bowrain, is the capital and tons of people live there. What about you?”
“We have to go get the fuel,” Norbert replied not paying any attention to his sister.
“What? Did I hear you properly? Did you say we? The men of the town will go retrieve it. You can go with them.”
“No I can’t. I have to go with you,” Norb stated.
“Aw, that means a lot to me. I mean you had the choice to go with the men, and you want to go with me.”
“No. I’m just not old enough to go with the men. Not yet, but next year I will be.”
“No! I’m not going as your chaperone,” she said. “Why do you want to go anyway? It’s pointless we will never find it.”
“ September, I have to go. It is my destiny to be a hero. It’s Joseph and Okiem’s destiny too, so you won’t only be my chaperone, but you will also be Joseph and Okiem’s chaperone!”
“I’m not taking those freaks. They aren’t normal people like us,” September said.
“So? They are my friends,” Norbert replied.
Joseph and Okiem were Norbert’s two best friends in the entire world. Joseph was an interesting boy. Well, he wasn’t really a boy, he had wings and a head of a dog. Because Joseph was part animal he could communicate with animals. Joseph was a very nice boy, he was never bothersome and he was very smart too. He could carry around three or four people when he was flying, but on the ground he was very weak. Okiem was very unique as well. You wouldn’t know this just from looking at him. He had a normal appearance from the outside. He was a scrawny boy with very pale skin and dark hair. He was only about 4’2”. Okiem could predict the future. He would often use his power to do stupid things; like find out his test grade, or see what would be on a quiz.
“We will do what ever it takes to go with you as long as we leave in the morning,” Norbert declared.
“Okay,” September agreed.
“Good, we will leave at dawn,” Norbert declared.
“NO! I will not leave at dawn! I will leave at nine at the very earliest and because you tried to rob me of my sleep you will have to be my servant until I tell you otherwise. Those are my terms. Do you agree?”
“Alright, I guess, but what about Joseph and Okiem?” questioned Norbert.
“Go get them over here so they can help you wait on me,” September ordered, “Hurry it up, I’m thirsty.”
* * * * * *
“What would you like to drink September?” Joseph asked.
“Hmm. . .I would like an exotic juice like Mango juice in an exotic goblet,” September told Joseph.
Joseph walked to the house to retreive September’s drink for her “ An exotic juice in an exotic goblet,” he mocked. “Who does she think she is?” He thought, “Ordering us around like that.” Joseph walked back to the garage.
“Here you are, September. Enjoy.”
“Thank you, Joseph,” she replied. “Thank you for your services, everyone. I am tired, so now I will sleep. Please turn off my light and close my door on your way out.”
“Good night,” Okiem called over his shoulder.
* * * * * *
“September wake up!” Shouted Norbert, “Its nine! We have to go!”
“No,” September mumbled half in her sleep.
“We agreed to leave at nine,” Norbert reminded her.
“Fine,” she mumbled still half asleep, “Pack my bags for me, I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
Joseph went out to the stables to get the horses ready for them while Norbert and Okiem packed September’s bags.
“Do you think she will want this shirt with the writing on it or this one with her name on it?” asked Okiem.

“I don’t know, just take both,” replied Norb.
“Do you think she will want to take her ‘exotic goblet’?” asked Okiem.
“ I don’t know! Just take it,” screamed Norbert, “Stop asking me these questions. How am I supposed to know the answer?”
“Sorry. I just don’t want September to get mad at us. I mean, we might forget something, and we will have to turn back. And then we will never get the fuel on time,” Okiem pointed out.
“Yeah I guess you’re right. I’ll be right back, I’m gonna go see if September has gotten out of bed yet.”
“Okay, I’ll keep packing,” replied Okiem.
Norbert walked over to the bed and shouted, “September! Get out of bed! Everyone is waiting for you. Joseph is outside with the horses and Okiem and I packed your bag so LET’S GO!”
“Fine. I’m coming. I’m coming.”
September feebly got out of bed and threw on some clothes. She tied her bag onto the saddle and got on her horse. It was 11:23. After three hours of procrastinating, the journey had finally begun. The horses lazily walked toward Lake of Nnbuy. The lake was East of their home town of Shmiko. Norbert’s plan was to rest and eat lunch at the lake even though it was only an hour or two away he knew that it would be nice for everyone to take a break.
The tired, but happy group rode on for two hours never exceeding the speed of a trot, so not to tire out their horses. They reached the lake at roughly 1:30. Joseph un-tacked the horses so they could cool down and have a drink. While he was doing this Okiem got out some snacks for the group, and Norbert grabbed their water flasks to fill. While the boys were doing all of this September was going through her bag to see what Okiem and Norbert had brought along for her. As she was going through her things she found the goblet she had used the other night. It was still sticky, so she went to the lake to wash it out. As she lifted it up to clean it she realized she had a rock in her shoe. As she went down to take it out she could not see herself. She had blended in with the ground. This had never happened to her before, so she didn’t know why it had started now. She figured it would ware off so she continued to wash out the goblet. When she put the goblet back into her bag she could see herself once again. The goblet had turned her invisible. She wanted to be sure that her eyes weren’t decieving her, so she went over to her brother while she was holding the goblet. She wanted to see if he could see her.
“Hey Norb,” she said as she tapped him on the shoulder, “Norbert, I know this sounds like a stupid question but, can you see me?”
“Where are you?” Norbert asked in a worried voice.
September dropped the goblet as she announced, “Right here.”
“Wh-how did you do that?” asked Norbert, “I was watching you the whole time.”
“I don’t know. I think it happens when I pick up this goblet.”
“Try picking it up again,” Norbert suggested, “Then if you turn invisible you will know for sure.” Just as the two kids had suspected, September turned invisible as she picked up the goblet. “That’s really weird,” commented Norbert.
“Well you never know. It may come in handy,” Joseph said, trying to look on the bright side of September’s odd new power.
“Whatever,” Norbert said as he shrugged it off, “I think we should get going now.”
Everyone mounted their rested horses and headed for the Forest of Het. The forest of Het was a large forest just west of lake Nnbuy where the four kids and their horses had been resting. When they had reached the forest, Okiem sensed something terrible going on in the forest. Everyone thought it would be best for them to cross the river of Tedasp and spend the night in the town of Berv. But, Norbert being the obstnate one, wanted to continue through the forest.
“Norbert! We can’t go through there. Do you want us all to be killed? There could be ogres in there!” exclaimed Okiem. Okiem was terrified of ogres.
“Norbert. I’m in charge of all of you and I will not allow you to go through there,” September added.
“Can we at least go a little closer? I think I see a hut at the edge,” Norbert observed.
“Fine. But, no further than that,” agreed September.
As they got closer to the hut, they saw a very old woman standing in the doorway. She was short with a hunchback. She was wearing a ripped up shawl with a bandana around her head. “Hello young children,” she said as she noticed them coming, “Would you like some tea? I can boil some water for you if you like,” offered the old woman.
“No thank you,” September spoke for everyone.
“Oh, okay, well, why don’t you come in?”
“ We’re really fine out here thanks,” replied September again, “We really should be going.”
“NO! You can’t leave. You have to answer a riddle first.”
“Okay,” Norbert answered.
“If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what is in its hands?” The old woman asked.
The four kids thought about this for a few minutes when Joseph shouted out, “I got it!”
Just as he was about to shout the answer September put her hand over his mouth so he couldn’t speak. “Are you absolutely positive about your answer? That old lady is a diller. To get by a diller you have to answer the riddle correctly, or they will kill you.”
“Yeah, bees,” replied Joseph, “Get it? Bee-holder.”
“Okay. I think that answer is right. Now all we have to do is tell her and run to the river Tedasp and cross it to Berv,” September anouanced.
“Bees,” Norbert told the old woman, “The answer to the riddle is bees.”
“That is correct,” She quietly said as she walked back into her hut.
“Come on! Let’s go to the river,” September ordered.
“No,” Norbert cried, “I want to go in the forest.”
“Fine. Suit your self, but you will be all alone.” September assumed that although Norbert was very vein he would come back and meet them at the river. Later that night Norbert had not yet returned. Just as September, Okiem, and Joseph were getting ready to go find him, they saw two dark figures aproacing. One of them was Norbert, and the other was a small girl dressed in rags. Joseph assumed that she was another diller so he drew this sword.
“I’m not hurting him,” said the girl “I found him in the forest of Het, and I asked him where he came from. He told me to take him to the river so he could find his companions.” The girl looked no older than five. She was even smaller that Okiem.
“Thank you for bring him back to us. We were just about to go looking for him.” There was a long pause neither of the two girls knew what to say “I’m September, Norbert’s older sister.”
“Oh. I’m sorry I forgot to introduce my self. I’m Dalga. I live in the forest where I found your brother. I guess I’ll get going now.”
“Thank you so much for bring him back to us,” said September.
“You’re welcome,” Dalga replied over her shoulder as she walked away.
* * * * * *
The next morning they crossed the river to Berv. Okiem had a friend in Berv. He had arranged for everyone to stay in their house. Okiem’s friends were out of town, and they had left the key under he mat for him. On their way to the house they picked-up some basic supplies from street vendors and shops. When they were done buying supplies with the little money they had, they went to the house, put away the horses, ate dinner, and went to sleep.
* * * * * *
Joseph was the first to wake up the next morning. He wanted to leave early, so he went and got everyone’s horses ready and made breakfast. When all of this was done, he went into the bedroom to wake everyone up. “Come on everyone! Breakfast and your horses are waiting! Time to go!”
Slowly but surely everyone got up and was on their way. September decided that today they would cross the Tributary of Wonairb to the town of Berainow. Depending on what time they reached Berainow would determine if they continued to the Marshes of Allb.
“September,” Okiem asked, “Why are we going to the Marshes of Allb?”
“Because we have are looking for the fuel and well….we haven’t found it yet in any of the other places we’ve visited so now we’re gonna look in the Marshes of Allb,” she replied.
“Well we haven’t really been looking for anything,” argued Norbert.
“Well, maybe you haven’t but the rest of us have,” September coldly replied in her defense.
While the three companions reached Berainow, they decided to continue on to the Marshes of Allb. September was nervous to go there because she was afraid of running into Sinks. Sinks are sharks that live in the Marshes with fangs and mud colored skin. September just hoped that Joseph would be able to communicate with them.
“Joseph!” called September, “I have a question for you. Do you think that you will be able to communicate with the Sinks?”
“Umm…I don’t know. Yeah I guess. I hope so,” he nevously replied.
As the group got closer to the marshes they could hear the Sinks. They were very loud when they moved around, on land and in water. Although they were nervous, they kept on riding toward the Marsh.
* * * * * *
“Look out Norbert,” Okiem said. “I had a dream about you last night, and you were attacked by a Sink.”
“Please!” he exclaimed, “Like I’d ever l’d ever let my guard down and get attacked by a Sink. They are extremely stupid animals. A baby could outsmart one.”
When Norbert was saying this, he was standing on the edge of the water. Just as he was finished what he was saying, a Sink came up to the edge of the water and grabbed his foot and pulled him into the water. Norbert was screaming, trying to pry his leg out of the Sink’s mouth, but the Sink kept going. It swam as if it would never stop. While the Sink was dragging Norbert, Okiem and Joseph were running after him on the edge of the water with September by their side.
“Norbert! Norbert!” they cried,
“Hit it on the nose,” September added.
“I’m sorry Norbert!” screamed Joseph, “I should have tried harder to talk to him.”
As Norbert and the Sink were approaching the other side of the Marsh the three kids could no longer see him. He had disapeared. Okiem dove into the water where he had seen Norbert go down. Joseph followed him. September didn’t know what to do, so she followed behind the two boys, grabbing he goblet as she dove into the water. As the three swam down, it got colder and darker. Ferther and further they swam, and as they neared the bottom they saw Norbert. Okiem and Joseph swam down to him and began to carry him up. Just as September was leaving, something caught her eye. It was a glowing rock. She swam down to grab it and headed back up to the surface.
“Norbert, are you okay?” Joseph asked as he was fanning him so he would wake up.
“Yeah, I’m fine,” Norbert coughed.
“How’s your leg?” asked a very nervous Okiem.
“Bad,” replied Norbert, “It hurts!”
As the boys helped Norbert, September stood silently not, taking her mind off the glowing rock in her pocket.
* * * * * *
After passing through the Marshes with no success in finding the fuel, the four companions walked through the Meadow of Bow-Ordl. The meadow was calm and peaceful as the wind rufeled the tall grass. It was a nice break after the Marshes.
September broke the silence, “Hey, look at this rock I found.” she pulled the rock out of her pocket as she spoke, “I found it in the Marshes.”
“September,” Norbert said, “I’ve got some news for you. Nobody cares about your stupid rock.” After Norbert said this, she put the rock away.
* * * * * *
“Well, here we are,” Joseph said as they arrived at the edge of the Forest of Meliash.
“Okay, let’s go,” said Okiem. At this remark, the companions continued into the forest.
The forest was much bigger than the Forest of Het where they had faced the diller discuised as an old woman. The forest was dark and cool after traveling through the meadow of Bow-Ordl.
* * * * * *
After a few days of traveling through the huge forest, Okiem heard a very odd buzzing sound. It sounded somewhat like a bug. “Look out! There are Minceblues around here. I can hear them,” Okiem warned.
Minceblues were small blue bug-like creatures with tiny human heads. Having human heads gave them the ability to speak.
“We should stop and rest,” declared Norbert, “September, you don’t look so good.”
“It’s the Minceblues,” September feebly said, “I react badly to them, I’m allergic…” As she said this she fell off her horse to the ground.
When the three boys saw this they, raced to her side. “September! September, can you hear me?” Norbert asked his older sister.
“Yeah,” she replied feebly.
“Can you get back on your horse and ride?” Okiem asked. Just as he said this, the Minceblues came back. They were whizzing around madly as if they were searching for something. After whizzing around for a while, they attacked September . While all of this was happening, Joseph was trying to communicate with the Minceblues.
“What are you doing?” Joseph asked them.
“Looking for our stone,” one of them replied as he flew by.
After hearing this, Joseph ran over to September and grabbed the glowing rock out of her pocket. “Is this what you are looking for?” asked Joseph.
“Yes!” the head Minceblue cried, “We will offer this in exchange for our stone.” Out of nowhere a large container appeared. It was the fuel of Shmiko!
“Thank you!” Norbert cried, “ This is what we’ve been looking for, the fuel of our town.”
Quickly after making the exchange the Minceblues flew deeper into the dark forest. In all of the excitement the boys forgot about September, liying on the ground.
“September!” Norbert cried, “We did it! We found the fuel!” After realizing that September was sick, their victorious moment was ruined.
“September, are you okay?” Joseph asked.
“Let’s just rest here for tonight,” suggested Okiem.
“Alright,” agreed Norbert.
* * * * * *
“September, wake up. Its time to go home,” Norbert said encouragingly.
“You had an allergic reaction to the Minceblues. The were buzzing around you looking for their stone,” added Norbert.
“Their stone was the stone you kept in your pocket,” said Joseph.
“Really? I knew it would come in handy,” September said sitting up in her sleeping bag.
“Are you feeling any better?” asked Norbert.
“Yeah. Much better actually,” replied September.
“Come on. Get up, we’re going home,” Okiem said.
“Let’s go,” the weary group replied.
© Copyright 2006 Gabrielle509 (gabrielle509 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1056748-September