*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1057104-Mighty-Mantis
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1057104
A young naturalist encounters an incredible find, and he makes it his own, with some help!


Behold, the Mighty Mantis



I was on a field trip in the third grade...I remember. It was an experience long past, as I was born into this world, 04/19/69, and I recall my youth and exuberance then... The world was fresh for a boy, completely consumed by the prospects of nature abound. I was a child...and blessed by that early stature.

The excursion was like others before, a study of local history, most important to a young student. And, in accordance with my teacher's schedule, I knew where the class was going that day. We were all heading for, "Cahokia Mounds," the magnificent site of elevated native ruins, a marvelous example of ancient civilizations which had flourished long before our English forefathers explored this, "Gateway to the West."

Anyways, the fantastic mounds of the American Indians were the order of this field-trip. In fact, my own Mother was along as a chaperon, being the wonderful helper she was. A massive set of stairs beckoned our childish flock, as a well informed, "Park Ranger," lead us towards the greatest and most obvious treasure of this place. There was...and is...a huge earth pyramid, quietly there...to be experienced.

And we climbed the largest of the archaic mounds, a class of children ascending a monolith, an amazing attraction in nearest Illinois, still waiting for the rest of the world to realize it's existence. My Mom was with us.

As we reached the grassy plain at the top of the ancient mound, I noticed that my every step, brought forth a massive scattering of field crickets. Strangely, I loved these insects and could hardly ignore their abundance here.

Perhaps the climate was appropriate to have spawned so many crickets and grasshoppers, but surely, I had never seen such a concentrated environment. I had to resist grabbing at them...the hundreds...the thousands of field insects jumping away from my tentative steps. Not surprisingly, everyone else just kept tromping along, oblivious to the unique condition of this area.

The, "Park Ranger," guided our group to the far end of the great mound, giving a passionate but rehearsed disclosure of its ancient tradition. Also, he was careful to note, that no flora, fauna, or animal was to be removed from this place, as this was a, "State Park." Naturally, I listened and obeyed, but there were so many insects at my every step... I was quite ready to capture them.

Then, something wonderful occurred. Even as the Ranger continued to inform our group of the Mound's history, I was starring beyond the marked hill-crest, looking at the thick nettles which governed the restricted and descending face of this historic plateau. Only a bright yellow boundary-tape insured my compliance, and I could barely hear the monotonous dispatch of the Ranger.

A friend tapped my shoulder. "Jon..." he said, "Look at that!"

"What?"

"Look right there!!!"

Now the lad who had grabbed my attention was just another of my many followers...he was always waiting for my next story, often entranced by my charismatic fantasies. However, this time, he had discovered something...without me....ahead of me...yet still graciously delivering the find to me!

"What!?"

"Look!"

Just then I saw what my young friend had detected...and even as the, "Park Ranger," continued to babble about whatever, I realized what had excited my companion. For there, many paces past the park's border tape, perched atop an 8ft Nettle, was the largest Praying Mantis ever witnessed in this area. The magnificent ultra-green specimen, female of course, exceeded 10 inches...and I am being most conservative. This was the largest insectoid life form the reader can possibly imagine...and I saw it...and I had to have it.

As if in a trance, I stepped underneath and beyond the yellow boundary tape, carefully approaching my goal. My heart was pounding with excitement, diluting the world around me, nullifying any cries of objection...and those were mostly from my 3rd grade Teacher, "Mrs. Dow."

"Hello there...Mr. Moon! What are you doing?"

I continued.

"Do you hear me? Hey! Jonathan!"

I heard, and chose not to obey.

Even the "Park Ranger," joined in, admonishing my flagrancy as I passed beyond public domain, heading for my sacred prize.

"Son... Stop right there, Son!"

I was drawing closer now, but still 10m from my destination, carefully navigating the restricted far-side of the mound.

"Jonathan, get back here...do you hear me?!"

Their words were as nothing to me...no matter the intensity of their demands, much less the severity of the impending ramifications. And behind them, stood my Mother... she said nothing.

So I approached a creature of incredulous beauty, a super-predator, almost alien to this common world. But, even as I neared, the great Mantis maneuvered to the back-side of the jagged nettle, like a frightened squirrel, placing the thorny plant between me and it's own position.

"Jonathan... Stop... Now!" Mrs. Dow was red in the face, unable to comprehend my defiance. She had never seen this side of me.

I could not really hear her, or anyone...and I did not care to hear them. Still, I was concerned...not sure how to gather this creature, and also knowing that it could fly. Now, there was only the prize, and me...the one who sought this illusive prize.

Carefully rounding the plant, I raised my closest hand in front of the massive insect, and she reared, fanning her wings, a display of fervid red and yellow, like a Chinese fan unfurled by a master. She lashed out with aggression not commonly seen from insects towards humans...but she did not fly away...could not fly away. She was entirely too big to flee, and had very little reason to submit to any other animal. She was a voracious and rare beast, probably killing and eating every animal she had directly encountered.

I persuaded her with a back-side nudge from my other hand, and the super-mantis instinctively stepped forward... onto my arm. She feigned as if to escape skyward, but yet stood there, too large for air-born evasion, easily spanning half of my boyish limb.

Every child, and every human, "Teacher, Park Ranger, Mother," stood amazed, because they had never seen a praying mantis...none of them...much less a mantis bridging wrist to elbow. There was a brief moment of awe...and silence.

Only my Mother came forth as I climbed back into the authorized area. She knew me too well, and so quickly dumped the contents of the chaperon's first-aid kit into her purse, offering the vacant enclosure as a place to hold my new treasure. She understood that I would not be denied, and quite amazingly assisted this greatest collection with love and confidence.

"You put that thing back, Jonathan...right now!" Mrs. Dow was still objecting vehemently, though I don't think anyone else really cared anymore. Even the Ranger was speachless... dumbfounded.

My Mom helped me to encapsulate my prize and then responded to my teacher.

"Helen, I'm sorry...but Jonathan loves insects." The words were sincere but somehow final.

"Jeannie, this is a National Park..."

"Helen, Jonathan loves insects." She said it again...just as irreversible.

Mrs. Dow stepped back, defied in front of the entire 3rd grade class, and in the presence of a "Park Ranger." She was a determined woman from Colorado, and made an immediate counter-assertion. "Well fine, Jonathan...I want a three page report on that Praying Mantis... in fact... you'll read it for the whole class!" She began storming away without any real direction, then made a brief apology to the Ranger. Then she came back at me. "Actually you can have that report ready by Monday," she concluded with a withering stare.

I accepted with a mere shrug...for I had my wonderful prize, and my face was a perfect boyish smile.


Thanks, Mom.


I produced that grievous report, highlighting the text with loving illustrations, and remarkably, Mrs. Dow gave me an A+. Her final commentary on the situation was summarized when she said, "That's what we call taking a lemon, and making that lemon...lemonade!"

And for the record...I went on to see the largest Mantis preserved at the St. Louis Zoo...it was a mere shadow of my glorious pet. Sure, the exoskeleton may have shrunk a bit, but not by several inches. Indeed, there were no competitors.

I named the Might Mantis, "Prayer," and she proved to be the most remarkable killer I've ever studied. She demanded constant feeding... spiders, wasps, hornets, crickets, and some other creatures best left unmentioned, she ate them all, quite literally to death. No other insect was her match, and she consumed Bald-Faced Hornets, two at a time... snatching and tearing through the most desirable parts of the first, then seizing the second with her most available forelimb...and devouring the softest vitals. Incredible! Soon, the bottom of her cage was littered with the remnants of her quarry, while she resided above the litter, preening herself constantly and perched at the top of the aquarium.

"Prayer," was so astounding, that when I left her outside, to enjoy the Autumn sun in her 20gal tank, male Mocking Birds would make strange protests to the presence of this mighty insect. They fanned their wings and chattered directly affront her cage, making it clear their concern for their younger kind. Truth!

Eventually, perhaps late October, the Mighty Mantis began to refuse food, and sadly lost her will to live. However, she rewarded me with a large egg-sack, which I carefully removed from the top of the aquarium, and left to my Mother's garden.

Finally, I placed, "Prayer," upon the branch of a Locust tree, in our backyard. She was extremely slow by then, and I did not wish to see her demise. It was cold outside.

Though I have captured many great specimens in my time...I will never forget this marvelous creature...nor will a great Teacher, a Park Ranger, or an entire 3rd grade class.

Once again...thanks, Mom!














© Copyright 2006 Juan Luna (erelen69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1057104-Mighty-Mantis