*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1058106-Evergreens
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1058106
A woman decides she has done all she can in this life, and chooses to go on to the next...
She walked through the forest path, admiring the gray sky above her. It was a sign that it was surely about to rain... she could smell the dampness in the air.
She looked at her surroundings. The forest green trees, still evergreen, as the rest of the world was bare and brown, for no snow had fallen yet. The earth was still too warm for that. Winter had always been her favorite season, but once in a while she needed a break from the Kingdom of Death, cold and lifeless. That was when she came to visit a world that was always green.
A shiver due to the oncoming downpour swept over her, and she was thankful for the cream-colored sweater she had pulled on that morning, although she suspected she only would need it for a few moments more.
She looked directly in front of her- she had arrived at her destination. The lake was calm and glassy, and colored a gray-green color.
The beauty of it's simpleness made her glad that this was the place she had chosen for what she had to do.
Now that she was finally where she needed to be, she contemplated her decision to go through with this. She was having some last-minute doubts. "Is this the right choice? Do I have any better alternatives?"
"No," she said aloud to herself, "there is no other choice. What's done is done."
She walked towards the lake, but a split second before she actually made contact with it, she stopped and turned around.
She had thought she had heard a voice, but she was mistaken, so she ventured onward, trudging into the cold water. The immediate temperature change brought chills that made her involuntarily shudder.
When all that was left above the still gray water was her head, she looked down at her reflection. She thought of all that had happened, and for the last time, reflected on her decision. She knew she was ready for this. She had already accomplished her life's mission, and was ready for what was next. She whispered to her reflection in the glassy lake, "Remember, death is only the next adventure," and plunged her head under.
As her final breath left her body and she sunk down into the abyss, her hair floated arounde her like a dark cloud. As she joined the true Kingdom of Death, the trees around her were still evergreen, as they always would be. Still full of life... the force her body would never posess again.
© Copyright 2006 starcrossedlover (autumnsunset at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1058106-Evergreens