*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1058765-Joining-Hearts-Chapter-1-part-1
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Romance/Love · #1058765
In 1862 Boston, tragedy strikes Katie's life & she must relocate to the untamed West
I am looking for any helpful suggestions to make my book better. Constructive criticism can be brutal but necessary and I welcome all comments. Thanks. *Smile*



Chapter 1 (part 1)



Boston, Massachusetts
1862

         “Would someone please stop that pounding!” Groaned Katie as she rolled over in her bed pulling her covers over her head to muffle the sound. “Please stop that banging!” she cried out a second time. A moment later, she woke up thinking she must have been dreaming; yet the pounding continued. “Wait a minute, that sounds like the front door.” She didn’t know what time it was but she knew that it was far too late for anyone to be calling. “Someone sure is persistent,” she exclaimed crossly as she jumped to her feet . She quickly lit a lantern, put on her robe and slippers and rushed down the stairs. As she reached the bottom, she took a moment to glance at the clock on the corner table and saw that it was just a little past midnight. No wonder I am still so tired. Stifling a yawn, she carefully opened the front door and raised her lamp to try to see who it was that woke her so abruptly. She blinked and rubbed her eyes so she could see more clearly and upon opening them, found a uniformed officer standing on her front porch.

          “Miss Logan?” the officer asked.

          “Yes, Sir.” Katie acknowledged, her eyes darting nervously back and forth. Is this a joke? she thought to herself. It is unusual for an officer to be out in these parts, especially this time of night. “Did John put you up to this?” She asked the officer, referring to her older brother who had a tendency to play practical jokes on her. He was temporarily home from Harvard on a winter break, so she would not be surprised if he had set this up.

          “Put me up to what? Miss, I am here on official business. Could I possibly come in a minute? It’s mighty cold out here.”

          Katie looked past the officer and noticed that the snow that had started coming down earlier was still falling. As late as it was, she couldn’t see much past the porch but she noticed that there was quite a bit of snow gathered right around the officer’s feet. She also realized that she was shivering herself and wrapped her robe a little bit tighter. “Yes, Sir. I'm so sorry for the mistake, please come in. Would you like a hot drink?”

          “No, thank you Miss. I can’t stay long but I am afraid I have some bad news. Maybe you should sit down.”

          “I don’t want to sit down. Please tell me what is going on?” Said Katie, getting worried now.

          “I’m sorry to tell you that there has been an accident and I’m afraid your father, Mr. Logan was killed,” he said solemnly. Katie stood motionless for a moment seeming to be in shock.

         “Miss?” The officer asked, wondering if her mind was registering the significance of his words.

         “Excuse me, I need to get my brother,” she replied in a small frightened voice. Leaving the officer in the front room, she swiftly ran up the stairs to find John. She raised her hand to pound on the heavy oak door but decided to forego etiquette this one time. With tears blinding her eyes, she opened the door and ran straight to his bedside. “John! Wake up! Wake up now!”

          John rolled over in his bed, trying to figure out what was going on. There was just enough light coming into the room for him to see his little sister looking at him. Seeing the tracks of tears on her face and panic in her eyes, he bolted up in his bed.

         “Katie? What's wrong?”

          “There is an officer at the front door, John. He says Father has been in an accident.”

          The next thing she knew, the impact of what the officer had said hit her and she was unable to finish telling him what had truly happened. Deep sobs racked her insides and she started shaking uncontrollably. John wrapped his large arms around her as he tried to calm her down. Once she had relaxed a little, John gently positioned her in the large tapestry covered armchair in the corner of his room and covered her up with a blanket. Satisfied that she would be okay for the moment, he put on his trousers under his nightshirt to go downstairs and find out what was going on. In the meantime, Katie’s mind burned with the recollection of trying to stop her father from leaving earlier that
evening.

          It had been around five-o’clock and she had looked out the window noticing it was snowing quite hard. She knew her father had a dinner party he was scheduled to attend but she didn’t want him to go out in this weather. As he walked into the room, she noticed he was limping and using his cane.

          “Father, I wish you would stay home tonight. The weather is quite dreadful and now I see your arthritis is acting up. Please don’t go.”

          “I'm fine Katie and you know that I must go to this party,” her father stated apologetically. “This is an important function for me as I am up for a promotion at work and it's imperative that I attend tonight. I know you are concerned about my health but I will be fine. Now will you please hand me my hat so I may leave. I will probably be home very late so don’t bother waiting up.” William bent down and kissed Katie on her forehead.

         She handed her father his hat and watched him walk out the door. Having forgotten the importance of this meeting, she felt ashamed for trying to talk him into staying home. She also realized too late that he had left before she could apologize. Feeling bad about the incident, she had decided to read for a little while before she retired for the night.

          Now, she would never see or hug her father again. “If only I had convinced him to stay home.” She sobbed some more. “It is all my fault.”

          Meanwhile, John had descended the stairs and upon seeing the officer, intended to find out what Katie had been unable to tell him. “What is going on Officer? Katie says our Father has been in an accident. Is he okay?

         “Well, Sir. That is correct. There has been an accident, but I’m afraid to say that your father was killed.

          “ Oh my God, are you sure? You are not mistaken?”

          “Unfortunately, I am positive Sir. There were many witnesses that saw it happen and were kind enough to identify him for us. The physicians tried to save him but it was too late.”

          “It’s not true!” Katie cried out as she returned to the room having composed herself the best she could. “I want to go see him! Where is my coat? I want you to show me where he is.” Katie turned to go look for her coat and mittens.

          “Katie,” John said carefully, not knowing how delicate his sister was at the moment. “It is snowing too hard to go anywhere and I am sure this officer is telling us the truth.”

          Katie sobbed as she collapsed in his arms. “He has to be alive. He just has to!”

         “Katie, everything will be okay but I need to finish talking to this officer.” John helped Katie steady herself and continued the conversation.”

          “I’m sorry about that Sir. Please tell me what we need to do now? Who we need to contact?” John queried.

          “That is quite alright, I completely understand. This is very tragic information for a young woman to have to deal with. Will she be alright?”

          “Yes Sir, she is strong and in time she will be fine. I am sure of that.” John replied. “You were about to tell me what I need to do.”

          “Oh yes. As it happens, your father’s lawyer was with the dinner party and saw the accident. He asked me to inform you that he will be arriving some time tomorrow morning and he will assist you. I am sorry for your loss but I must go now.”

         “Thank you, Officer.” John said, closing the front door behind the officer.

         “What are we going to do, John? Father was all we had.” Sobbed Katie. A feeling of sudden loneliness overwhelmed her as she looked out the window at the falling snow.

         “I don’t know yet,” replied John, as he walked over to her to give her a comforting hug. “I need time to think. Maybe I will have some answers in the morning. It’s late now and you are very upset. I am going to send for Dr. Franklin to come give you something to help you rest.”

{indent “No, I don’t want to rest. All I can think about is poor Father. Do you think he was in much pain?”

         “I hope not Katie. Can I at least go to the kitchen to warm you up some milk? That should help you relax a little.”

         “That would be great,” responded Katie as she walked to the living room. She sat down on the sofa and proceeded to stare blankly into the fire. “What are we going to do?” she thought. John was still in school so he didn’t have a job and she was only eighteen. They didn’t have any family in the city. In fact, if they had any family at all, Katie wasn’t aware of it. Their mother had died giving birth to Katie and both of her parents had been only children. She really hoped John would come up with the answers he promised.

          When John returned to the room, he handed Katie her milk and sat beside her. After taking a sip from the warm cup, she took John’s hand.

         “I miss him so much already. Why did this have to happen, John?”

         “I don’t know,” he said sadly. “I just don’t know.”

         They sat in silence comforting each other over the next hour. A short while later, she heard another knock on the front door. “Who could that be now?” she paused, her eyes narrowing speculatively. “You called for Dr. Franklin didn’t you.” Normally, she would have loved to see her doctor and friend but today was just not one of those days.

         “Yes, Katie. I know you didn’t want me to but I know how stubborn you can be and you need to be able to rest.” John left the room to go answer to door and she overheard him talking with the doctor, explaining what had happened. She had known the physician all of her life but had recently been spending a great deal of time with him. The previous year, she had run across a book on human anatomy in her father’s study and after spending some time reading and studying it, decided she wanted to be a nurse or a doctor. The medical field fascinated her and the thought that maybe someday she could save someone’s life or at least ease their suffering inspired her. She asked Dr. Franklin if he would teach her what he knew. He consented and allowed her to go along with him on some of his house calls. She wasn't allowed to give medicine of any kind but by watching the doctor, she had picked up on which medicines cured headaches, the different types used to relieve pain and the healing powers of laudanum. She learned the basics of a physical examination and how to mend wounds and splint broken bones. Occasionally, Dr. Franklin would be called out to deliver a baby. Most times it would be an animal birthing but it was the times that she was able to assist in the birth of a real baby that she was most excited. Those experiences reinforced her feelings that nursing was her true calling.

         John came back in the room with Dr. Franklin who in turn proceeded to give her a brief look-over. She didn’t want to be forced to rest but once he told her it was for the best and she would need her strength for the days to come, she complied, took the sedative and went to bed.

         The next morning, as John came down the stairs, he was stopped by a knock on the door. When he opened it, he saw that it was Mr. Johansson, their father’s lawyer. He was a short, stout man with beady little eyes and a handlebar mustache. Most people would be wary of him based on his looks but John knew better. In fact, the few times they had met before, John had found Mr. Johansson to be quite knowledgeable and personable.

         “We have been expecting you, Mr. Johansson. Please come in,” said John as he let his guest into the parlor. “Did you manage to find out the details of what happened to our father?”

“          Yes, I was an unfortunate witness to the whole thing. Your father was crossing the street to get into his carriage to return home for the evening. There was a runaway carriage coming down the street and because it was snowing so hard, few people saw it and of those who did, no one was able to stop it. Of course the driver and his passenger survived with minimal injuries. Your father was the only casualty. And...”

         “What is it Mr. Johansson?” John asked tentatively.

         “Well, this morning I was told that the driver of the other carriage had spent the evening playing cards and drinking before he got back behind the reins. I am so sorry!”

         John grabbed a book from the nearest table and threw it against the wall as curses fell from his mouth. “So, the driver gets drunk, kills my father and walks away. I just can’t believe it!”

         There was a long, brittle silence in the room before Mr. Johansson awkwardly cleared his throat and spoke up. “I know.” he replied. Not sure of the volatility of John’s anger, he retreated a step back before giving his next bit of information. “I am afraid, however, that I must add to your bad news.”

         “Our father is dead and you say there is more?” Katie cried as she came walking down the stairs and into the room. Looking at Katie, anyone could she that she had experienced a terrible night despite the medication. Her normally vibrant green eyes had dark circles under them and her beautiful honey-colored hair looked as though it hadn’t been brushed in days. Her face was flushed and she was still wearing the same clothes she wore to bed. She had, in fact, tossed and turned all night, never truly getting any sleep and she was not in the mood for more bad news.

         “How could anything possibly be worse than Father dying!”

         “Calm down Katie,” John said softly as he wrapped an arm around her. “Mr. Johansson, you have nothing to fear, I will be fine. I just had a moment of frustration and I’m sorry. Now, what were you trying to tell me?”

         “As a lawyer, I am privy to certain files and information upon a person’s death. After the accident, I went through some of your Father’s private papers and found that he had been involved in some risky investment opportunities. It turns out that he has gambled away all of his money.”

         “So you are telling me that we are broke,” John stated disappointedly.

         “Well...not quite.” Mr. Johansson picked his satchel up off of the floor and opened it. “It seems that there was one investment that did pay off a reasonable sum.” He took out a small stack of papers and handed them to John. Looking at them, John shook his head.

         “This is not a great deal money . Are you sure there isn’t more somewhere? Some papers you might have missed?"

         “No.” Mr. Johansson replied, apologetically. “I looked everywhere I could and there is no more.”

         “I was just hoping to receive better news. Something to give us hope.”

         “No such thing.” Katie said sarcastically, stalking out of the room leaving the men to finish their conversation without her.

         “Will she be okay?”

         “She’ll be fine. This is just such a shock to the both of us.”

         “I understand and I am sorry to be the bearer of such bad news. It is the worst part of my job. I am afraid I must leave you now as I have another appointment I must keep. Can I call on you tomorrow about arrangements for your father’s funeral?”

         “Please do. Good-bye, Mr. Johansson.” Bid John as he started to close the door.

         “Oh, I almost forgot.” Mr. Johansson said quickly. “I have something for you in my carriage. I will be right back.” He returned a moment later carrying their father’s hat and cane. “These were left behind at the scene. I thought you might want them.”

         “Thank you very much, Sir. I want you to know I appreciate everything you are doing for us and will see you tomorrow.” John replied closing the door behind Mr. Johansson. He put the items on the table next to the door and walked through the house to find where Katie had wandered off. He found her sitting at the kitchen table holding her head in her hands.

         “Now what?” Asked Katie, as she heard him walk up. “You said everything would be okay.”

         “I am just as upset as you are Katie.” John said as he sat down beside her. I wasn’t expecting to receive such devastating financial news but... Look at me Katie” he said cupping her chin and raising her face to look him in the eyes. “I promise you that I will do everything I possibly can to make things work out for the best.”

         “I know you will, I just feel so helpless right now.” Katie complained. “Why can’t I be strong like you?” she questioned.

         “In time you will be okay. You are stronger than you think but it’s my job to be strong for you right now,” smiled John weakly, as he looked at his little sister. “Not the other way around.”

© Copyright 2006 CHRISTINA (jbinau at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1058765-Joining-Hearts-Chapter-1-part-1