*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060913-The-Lost-Empire-of-Japan
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · War · #1060913
Chapter 1 of a fiction story that is about a Japanese people who go to war.
The Lost Empire of Japan


Chapter I


          The morning dew shimmered palely as the sun rose above the horizon, casting a faint glow across the small village.
A man, clearly the village elder, exited his hut, he looked out across the dew covered field, and smiled. He was proud of his people. They had avoided war, strife, and many conflicts. He had seen that in the prophrcies, but he also saw that a weak culture, would find a god, and come out from their shell, and grow into a great empire.
Whether this would be his people or not, he was proud of the fact that his people valued hard work and family over battle.
As the first of the villagers started emerging from their huts, the elder returned to his home.

* * *


The fresh dew felt refreshing on Serdar's feet, he returned inside to have his morning tea and prepare for the day ahead. Serdar was the farmer of their family, he took care of the garden in the yard of their hut. He also managed the field just outside the village.

* * *


The elder was preparing to deliver his message to pass his knowledge of the prophecy to the village, he wanted them to be as prepared as he. He prepared by having tea and a rice cake. The villagers had begun their daily work as normal.

Noon, supper was the best time for the delivering of the message. Supper would be more lavishly prepared today, the elder wanted the village people to be content for the shock.

* * *


Serdar had been working the farm for years, so his now sweat streaked complexion was stronger than that of the trader who lived near the village elder.

* * *


The trader was Salota, a kind and generous man, yet he liked to get more than his money's worth, and since the villagers had never been introduced to competition, he could sell his goods for what he willed. He, however did not use this to his advantage, he used the additional revenue to help build the village up. When the villagers suffered a drought, he went to the city, and bought grain for them with his own money.

* * *


The elder, once again emerged from his hut, and summoned Salota from his nearby abode. When Salota's attention was on him, the elder spoke,

"Salota, I wish to serve a small feast for the village today, it is then that I will share the prophecy and what I interpret it to read." the elder explained.

"Of course, it is better than done. I will see you at noon at the old tree." Salota responded.

"You may go, start preparing the feast now." The elder said.

"I shall..." Salota responded, bowing.

The elder watched as Salota left, then turned his gaze towards the old tree, in the center of the village. It was where, he remembered, that the first villagers, his fathers, had settled. They built the first huts around that tree. Though it was abandoned once years ago, the villagers had returned and lived in peace once again.

The elder watched as the villagers continued working diligently. Some were farming, some cooking, most preparing for the feast. The elder smiled. News traveled fast in this village. He grinned and returned to his hut to further contemplate the Prophecy.

* * *


Serdar, glanced at the old tree in the center of the village. He smiled, the feast in it's shade would be welcome after toiling in the fields all day. The tea and lamb and pork...
© Copyright 2006 Peter Normand (melkor1223 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1060913-The-Lost-Empire-of-Japan