*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1062203-Historic-document
by Drew
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1062203
The story of Earth's downfall in the largest war in history.
Fables and myths have plagued humanity since the dawn of its existence. Some accept them as literal history, while others, more “rational”, make a habit of pointing at their faults and preaching about the impossibilities within them. It is the common consensus that every legend is based on at least a certain grain of truth, however as time passes, history distorts into myths which eventually turn so imprecise that they are dismissed (by most) as mere folklore.

This treatise is about such a legend that although takes place at a time when computerized records and electronic data storage were quite advanced already, wasn’t properly documented due to the constraints and circumstances of the time. I, Dr. Larred Ekem, together with my colleagues, have dedicated our lives to the research of this specific fable, trying to weave the facts together into a complete and reliable record. Now, after years of effort we have documented it properly and decided it was time to add this link in humanity’s incomplete history, as a separate volume in this large register.

This particular event is that of Earth’s final days, the time of ruin which has supposedly brought about a great degeneration that, again, supposedly, took centuries to alleviate. It is best known today as the Myth of the Great Plunge. And for the first time, will now be presented in its truest most possible form. We hope that from this day forward, it will be known merely as The Great Plunge, with the myth part excluded, since we feel the story is now comprehensive and reliable.

*****


The year was 4376 by the Pre Historic Count (often referenced as 2148 A.D. – according to Earth’s local calendar at the time) and the European Federation’s president - Gaius Aceline had just held his annual Nations Address, where he outlined the preliminary plans for construction of the fifth European Mars Orbital Station - or EMOS 5 for short. It had become a fashion at the time for every major (and minor in fact) political power to boast its strength and prove its hold of Martian space by constructing extremely expensive and redundant self retaining orbital colonies; and the European Federation was not an exception.

To understand the reasoning and motives behind this sort of peculiar arms race, one must understand that Mars (with the exception of the rather redundant themselves Lunar Colonies) was the first environment humanity occupied outside of Earth. The mass colonization began shortly after the Republic of China had constructed the first settlement on the surface (4472 P.H.C.), and coincidently primitive Atmospheric Generation techniques started being applied to the world in order to create a natural self sustaining habitat. That is, the necessary atmospheric gas levels were slowly attained, and rough vegetation was spread throughout the planet to obtain a hasty build-up of Oxygen. Quite a crude process, but it was the first attempt at reviving what was considered a dead ecosystem and many were impressed at the time. However, with nearly a hundred years past since the process began (without a near completion in sight), and with the surface and orbital colonies now plentiful, some citizens started to question the purpose of setting up even more.

“I just don’t understand why we need a fifth EMOS station” said Carlos Pilar, a Spaniard journalist and the acting ambassador of the EuroFed Directorate residing temporarily in America. He was communicating visually through the global network, the most widespread form of communication at the time. To the outside observer unequipped with a Network Chip, it would seem as though Pilar was sitting quietly at his desk, perhaps a trifle over concentrated. However since such people were a rarity those days, especially in North America, mostly anyone who might stumble on him would know he was indulging in a chat with some person located elsewhere in the world.
“After all, when God knows when and Mars’s atmosphere is finally established; all these self sustaining colonies will be worthless. What will they be used for? Warding off aliens?!” Carlos added cynically.

The Network Chip was basically a computerized component which was implanted in a person’s brain, and allowed them instant access to the global network, or “Internet” as referred to at the time. Biological Computerized add-ons had become increasingly popular – Net Chips being the most fashionable (and useful) of them all. All visual and audible stimulation affected the specific areas of the brain and one could trigger such stimuli with mere thought and desire.

They served many functions, from allowing instant access to libraries of knowledge and data, to Thought-Communication and even external recording of memories. They also fulfilled more trivial purposes such as remotely operating machinery and computerized electrical devices. They Operated like any other limb in the body and could access the global Network from every location on Earth. Net Chips had not yet completely replaced verbal and Holographic-Video communications, but those were definitely at their last breath.

“I don’t think you realize how many people are currently living in Martian orbit.” pronounced the voice from the other side. It was clearly synthesized – a privilege anyone who used the chats was free to make the most of. Usually when they wished to hide a certain accent or just enunciate their English more clearly, especially in political chat rooms where people tried to appear as expert as possible.
It added, “They all have to live somewhere, not to mention that EuroFed has to balance out China’s control of the orbit, they’re up to thirteen colonies now!”

Pilar responded, “Well the Chinese at least have good reasons. Transporting a quarter of billion citizens before the end of the century won’t happen by itself. EuroFed on the other hand has a declining population with no real need for immediate Martian colonization. And you hit the nail on the head in regards to limiting the Chinese occupation; that’s exactly the purpose of this all and exactly what will lead to a spatial confrontation. This could be the beginning of the next world war for all we know.”

“Oh for God’s sake man, a war over Martian occupation, with the Chinese!? That’s just ridiculous. The U.N. monitors Mars, and no one can even think of setting-up trivial Network satellites without their approval. Leave it to them and you can rest assured nothing will get out of hand.” It was the same answer Pilar always got, but all the same, every once and again he enjoyed debating the topic through the chat rooms.

A message popped up on Pilar’s calendar, that is, through the Net Chip he was reminded of an appointment he had set up. It was all part of the advantages of Biological Computerized Devices – no visual or audible reminder had to be displayed; Pilar just became aware of his appointment at the necessary time. He logged-off without parting from the other, raised from his chair and stepped out of his office.

*****


Pilar took the elevator to the roof of the building, emerged into the open space and approached the Hover Rail station located at the edge of the complex. It was past noon, and the “lunch hour traffic” was as busy as could be. He passed the retinal scanner before entering his selected Hover Train and sat down at an empty seat. Retinal scanning was essentially the easiest form of identification; it wasn’t a noticeable process for the examinee and could be used to charge ones financial account without a hassle. Of course it was just a luxury for whoever desired it, as those who didn’t wish to use it (due to some ridiculous and unfounded fear of damaging the eye), or were perhaps paid for by a friend, required being accounted for through the use of a more conventional magnetic card.

The Hover Train departed at once and began its rapid progression through the city. It was the cleanest, most efficient form of transportation at the time, though by no means did the trains actually hover (during those days the manipulation of gravitational fields had hardly reached the point where it could be applied to such large masses). They were just primitive trains operating through the use of electrical power on fixed banisters, and were referred to as Hover Rails for the fact that they maneuvered at high altitudes between the large and ample buildings of the time. This was presumably done for the sake of reserving the ground levels for the pedestrians walking about. Additionally, with higher density populations in most of the larger cities, and atmospheric deterioration at an all time high, personal transportation was practically abandoned and these more efficient systems were put into place.

The Hover Train passed by a Network billboard when Pilar was flashed with an annoying advertisement for a soft drink. He had forgotten to suspend his Network Chip when he left his office, and spam messaging of this sort was usually the consequence. He immediately enabled all the necessary filters and Ad Blockers, and pondered for a second why he ever bothers to remove them. Perhaps it was because he enjoyed the experience every once in a while and was curious what type of messages might surprise him. Nevertheless, he was now arriving at his stop and it was not an appropriate time to be bothered.

The vehicle reached its destination at a large dining area, one of the central food plazas of the city, which housed a wide array of restaurants that were scattered around a court. Pilar hastily approached a specific diner that served some of the better engineered foods he had known. Inside, by one of the tables, sat an extravagantly dressed elderly man already waiting for him. He was rather tall, with a small wispy mustache and a distinct look of authority. Pilar approached him swiftly nearly stumbling over the cleaning autobot that was scrubbing the floor, and anxiously sat down.

“I hope you haven’t been waiting long.” he said to Alva Lowell, who was a former council member of the European Federation (where he had originally befriended Pilar) and currently a member of the board of directors of Nova Space Technologies, one of the largest commercial space agencies in America. Many commercial space agencies existed at the time; however they dealt almost entirely in travel from Earth to a select number of destinations and were rarely permitted to construct their own orbital space stations.

“Not at all Carlos, I just ordered”
“Then I hope you don’t mind if I do to, very quickly” replied Pilar. The table top had acted as a touchable view screen that displayed the menu. He punched in his nutritional requirement for the day, quickly examined the meals that displayed, and chose the healthiest most balanced plate which suited his personal diet best. One could have ordered the meal using the Net Chip through the effort of thought alone, and avoid the process of using the touch screen altogether. But most restaurants still preferred the use of screen menus.
“I take it you saw Aceline’s address to the nation?” Pilar began.
“Of course; anything that has to do with Mars’s orbit is of crucial importance to us.”
“I guess a new EMOS equals a new destination for Nova, right?” Pilar said with a touch of criticism to his voice.

Meanwhile the food arrived as promptly as always on top of an automated tray and the two were each served their meal.
“Come on Carlos, I know you’ve been preaching about the danger of over crowding the Martian orbit, especially since that Olympus incident-”
Incident!?” Pilar cut Lowell off in protest, “Russia was ready to take out the nukes if it wasn’t for the U.N. intervention”
“Exactly, that’s why the U.N. controls everything since then. And I’m warning you, it can’t do you any good to publicly question Aceline’s official stand on the matter.”
Pilar said, “Don’t worry about that, I’ve only expressed my genuine views to those I trust. Besides, I won’t be ambassador much longer; the Directorate will see to it I’m sure. This is why I must act quickly.”
“Act quickly to do what Carlos?”
“Look, I know you don’t agree with me on this matter, heck, nobody does. But I’m positive that the Chinese are preparing to announce a withdrawal from the U.N. space plan, and after that; the next “incident” won’t end as well as the Olympus one.”
Lowell said, “The Chinese Republic could collapse if they do that, a monocracy will take over. Besides, this is what you wanted to see me for? I left politics for good; you know that, I don’t like all the responsibility. And Nova Technologies has very little impact on these types of issues.”
Pilar was hesitant for a second, then he said, “Alva, I need your help. I’ve been hearing rumors.”
“What kind of rumors?” Lowell said in a supple voice that sounded a bit cautious.
“Rumors about something; they say that it will have massive impact on the current balance and on the U.N. treaty in general. Some kind of secret project, I don’t know any of the details, it’s all exceptionally vague. However I’ve been told Nova Technologies has something to do with it.”

To the sound of this Lowell seemed to become considerably uneasy, and Pilar thought he hadn’t seen him look so nervous since he retired from politics. He wiped his forehead from the slight dampness of his sweat and after a short silence in which he seemed to gather himself he said, “O.k. Carlos, I don’t know much myself, its top secret and I could lose my position as a board member for bringing you into this without authorization; but you are the ambassador and this is an official American project, so no use in denying anything. Basically, we’ve been working in collaboration with the government on a new, how should I put it - development in the current generation of space shuttles.”
“What kind of development?” Pilar asked in an equally wary voice as the one Lowell was using.
“A new utilization for the Particle beams, the ones used on EMOS 4 for immediate deflection or disintegration of random meteorites which enter Mars’s Thermosphere. A new method for using the beams at high intensities for prolonged periods of time.” Explained Lowell in what seemed to be an intentionally vague clarification.
“For what purpose?” Pilar asked as he seemed to hesitate to come to the obvious conclusion.
“Currently it’s merely experimental, yet we hope it will be effective against metallic substances of large densities.”
“A WEAPON!?” Pilar exploded in the most powerful whisper one can imagine. After all, he couldn’t possibly risk being overheard. He leaned nearer to Lowell and glanced quickly to all sides to make sure he hadn’t caught anybody’s attention, then he spoke in the softest of voices, “You want to use Particle Beams against other shuttles!?”
“Merely for defensive purposes, I assure you. Besides, it’s only in the earliest stage of development.”
“Have you guys lost your mind entirely?! Do you have any idea what will happen if the Russians or Chinese find out about this? Heck, if EuroFed finds out or even the U.N., there’ll be chaos, interstellar war even. This is worse than I expected. The U.N. Space Treaty clearly negates the development of orbital weapons-” At this Lowell realized Pilar could go on for a while and thought it was best to halt him there.
“Calm down Carlos, and don’t be so dramatic. It does no one any good when you panic like this. This news was bound to leak out sooner or later, and now that I think about it, it’s best that you were the first to know. The Directorate was quite ingenious when giving a journalist the position of ambassador, you’re sure to be the first to know anything.”
Pilar was silent for a long moment in which he tinkered with his dish, then he said, “I knew Nova was up to something, this is why I wanted to see you, but I surely didn’t expect weapons. How can a commercial space agency even get a contract like this in the first place?”
“Well Nova Space Technologies has the patented rights to the particle beams, so the government had to collaborate on the project with us. There’s a lot of money to be made here Carlos.”
Pilar shrugged, “Yeah, there’s a lot of money in war. Anyways, I need to see exactly what we’re talking about, and bring the Directorate in on this. I have full clearance and I want to be taken to the Nova base as soon as possible.”
“Listen; don’t do anything just yet. I’ll convince the guys to take you to the base of the project. You’ll see what’s going on for yourself and we’ll make sure the Treaty isn’t affected. And then you’ll get the EuroFed Directorate the information, but not before you’re entirely aware of everything there is to know. Oh, and the development site isn’t exactly in a Nova Institution.”
Pilar seemed to surrender and give up on his initial hysteria, he sighed, then asked in a much cooler tone, “So where’s this base located exactly?”
And Lowell grinned, “American Lunar Colony 2; you’re going to the moon my good friend.” And Pilar suddenly lost his appetite.

*****
© Copyright 2006 Drew (drewcarey at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1062203-Historic-document