*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1062420-After-One
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Other · #1062420
A short story about a night in the woods.
It had to be after one now I said to myself as I woke up from a restless slumber. I had been hiking in the woods for exercise and dedcided to head back when I realized there was no memory in my mind of where back was. And after a frantic search up and down what I thought was the trail I sat down and started to worry. I must have sat there for hours before I fell asleep.

Being new to the town I hadn't told anyone where I was going. And now I wished I had stayed at home. I looked around and saw almost nothing as it was pitch black except for the little light that shone from the moon. It was getting colder and I started a little fire to keep warm. Then I saw them, little creatures running here and there just outside the light of the fire. The seemed to be as worried of something as I was. Hearing a faint howl I looked around but saw nothing except the trees. there it was again it was closer. My breathing became labored as the noise crept closer. then it stopped a suddenly as it had started. Then not wanting to know what it was that was scaring me I sank closer to the tree which I was resting against. a clutched my knees to my chest and started to recite the few prayers I knew.

As I finished my frantic prayers I looked up and saw something in my tree. Only an owl I said to myself unassuredly. Seeing a large stick to my left I picked it up and plunged it into the fire stirring up hundres of ashes into the sky. I rose the torch high above my head as I stood up. trying to peer into the tree. I saw something but couldn't quite make it out. then it moved and I swear i saw it's huge eyes staring at me. it started to come down the tree. I backed up across the clearing I had been resting in, it came farther down the tree. as it jumped out of the tree a sudden gust of wind blew out my torch and the fire. I started to run but the thing only jumped into the nearest tree to me and then to the next. I ran for as long as I could until i could run no more and then i kept running. i was drove by my will to be safe. I ran wildly through those trees. Dodging roots and stumps, only to feel hot breath on my neck.

Unable to see clearly I missed a slight up slope in front of me and fell flat on my face. the creature jumped down just as I was getting up it lunged for me. I rose my arms to keep it from my face. It's seemingly limitless strength knocked me back and then i saw no more.

I awoke with a start and looked about me. I was lying supine on the mountain road. I looked at my self and I didn't seem hurt. I felt my face and nothing seemed wrong. As I rose i realized there was something going on down the road a ways I started quickly in that direction. When I came upon the scene I was shocked at what i saw. there was an wolf of enormous size laying in front of a service truck. I started to wonder if my fears were justified. Then I looked at the others standing there.

One of them spoke to me. "Sir are you alright?"

"Yes, why do you ask?" I responded.

A man in the group grasped my shoulder and lead me over to his truck where i peered into the side mirror. I only looked in horror at the blood covering the side and back of my shirt. I saw where it was coming from. It had come from a large gash in my side, I felt the gash and it was deep. The gash was made from three long claws. It was this day i decided to join a gym.
© Copyright 2006 Pendleton Hammons (sgbb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1062420-After-One