*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063198-Pine-Trees-in-the-Snow
by max
Rated: E · Short Story · Melodrama · #1063198
My first attempt at a short story; inspired by the movie "We Were Soldiers".
Pine Trees in the Snow

I suddenly found myself walking down a moonlit path one frosty dark evening, admiring how the snow rested on the branches of the pine trees. All around me flakes were dancing with the wind and I felt as though I was walking on a moonbeam in the sky among the stars. Not a sound there was in the cold and quiet world. I couldn’t remember why I was walking on such a cold night. It felt as though I were in some sort of dream and so I let my thoughts break free and run wild for a bit.

I thought I saw you walking in the dark shadows ahead, taking a long walk as you usually do, and I ran to catch up to you. But you were only a lonely old man, hurrying along to get out of the cold.

I continued on my path and at length left the wood it took me through. I thought I saw you across the street, playing with a group of children. I stopped to watch, reminded of how you love playing with children. But when I reached them I saw that you were only a snowman, with two coal-eyes and a carrot-nose. I laughed to myself as I continued walking down the crystal street.

The sky above me glowed with the promise of more snow as I looked up. Oh why was your memory haunting my thoughts? I dug my hands deeper into my pockets as I walked on, forcing myself to think of something else.

Finally I reached my house, with the candles in the windows and the big yellow ribbon around the maple tree. There was a gust of wind that blew the snow into the air: a thousand tiny diamonds in the dark. And then I saw you, standing by the house in your uniform and hat, looking at me. A wide smile spread across my face and tears ran down my cheeks as I began to run to you.

But something stopped me.

I drew my hands out of my pockets and took with them a tear-stained telegram. The wind stopped; the air was clear of the snow. And then I remembered. I looked up to see you just one more time, your eyes and your smile. But you were only pine trees in the snow.
© Copyright 2006 max (mrp_nut at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063198-Pine-Trees-in-the-Snow