*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063781-untitled-as-of-yet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1063781
a criminal psychologist is given a new client only it's her own sister.


-------------------------------------------------
Introduction
-------------------------------------------------

'Hunny the postmans here, looks like he's got another package for you to sign!' Nathan's voice echoed up the long, narrow staircase. It was eight thirty AM and Annie still hadn't surfaced from their new four poster bed. It had been a present from Nathan after months of nagging that the old one was too lumpy and uncomfortable, along with the threat that she would start sleeping on the sofa until they got a new one that made him finally take notice.Tucked snugly under the duvet Annie grumbled to herself as she realised she would have to drag herself out of bed. She knew exactly what it was that was in the package and that further annoyed her as she would rather stay in bed all day than open it. Maybe if she just stayed under the duvet and pretended she was still asleep, it would just be sent off back to where it came from.
'ANNIE!' Nathan's voice roared up the stairs for a second time. No such luck she thought to herself. Of course she knew that she couldn't get away with not signing for it, however much she wished that today for once Nathan could just do it, she knew that it could never happen due to the prisons tight security rules.

When she first trained to be a criminal psychologist she was full of enthusiasm. Many times she'd gotten so frustrated that she was still training instead of actually doing the job. She simply couldn't wait to get stuck in and tackle her first case. Then when her first case actually came she was like a kid let loose in a sweetshop. She researched into the early hours of the morning, made sure she talked to all the right people, built up a massive file on her new client and went into the case with excitement, knowledge and enthusiasm. However, after more than fifty cases, she was now left wondering why she had ever thought this job was her dream. She'd talked to some of the most dangerous criminals in the world and she hadn't learnt a thing. Many simply refused to talk to her no matter how many sessions she had with them. In fact 'No Comment' seemed to be a favourite sentence for convicts at Brixton Prison. To them she was there to make them look stupid and talking to her seriously damaged their reputation wih the other inmates. The few that did actually talk to her almost always refused to accept that they had done anything wrong and in fact they thought what they had done was something to be proud of. It was as if they were missing a gene that everyone else had. So now, after over fifty clients she was almost ready to throw in the towel and train for a different career, one that would challenge her again.
Slowly she got out of bed, grabbed her Winnie The Pooh dressing gown and made her way down the stairs.
'Hi Annie!' The postman shouted as she came into view.

'Hey Steve' Annie replied glumly as she reached the bottom of the staircase. Being on first name terms with the postman was another thing Annie hated her job for. She wasn't one to make friends with people such as postmen, milkmen, window cleaners or builders. Nathan hated that about her as he always claimed she was a snob for being that way. She however thought that these people were there to do a job not to make small talk. Time was money and that was something she wasn't willing to throw away. Also if everyone stopped to talk to the postman some people wouldn't get their post until five o'clock in the evening! So really she was doing everyone a favour.
'Not woken up yet huh?' He asked with a grin which made Annie want to reach out and smack it right off, but instead she settled with 'Something like that.'
'Not to worry love, just a quick signature and you'll be able to go and get yourself a cuppa.' Biting her tongue, Annie signed the slip from Brixton, said a sharp goodbye and went into the kitchen to put the kettle on. Nathan was busying himself with trying to stop Poppy, their excitable Rottweiler puppy, from eating the morning paper as she came in.

'I take it the bed was comfy then.' Nathan said with a smirk on his face.
'It was alright I suppose.' came Annies dull response. She didn't mean to be so detatched and moody but she just couldn't seem to cheer herself up.This really angered Nathan. She hadn't been herself for months now and though he had had plenty of patience and sympathy for her at first, he was now well and truly fed up.
'Oh What's wrong with you Annie. You've been like this for months now. You know, you aren't the only one who hates their job. Plenty of people would rather be doing something else with their lives other than going to work every day and slogging their guts out. If you hate your bloody job so much why don't you just find another one? Taking things out on me and being miserable isn't going to change anything is it. I come home from work and all I get is grief from you. I've had it. Things are going to have to change from now on, I mean it Annie. Just get a grip.' Before Annie had the chance to reply he had grabbed his briefcase, slammed the paper on the kitchen table and slammed the door on his way out. She was gobsmacked and couldn't believe the nerve of him. Her job was a lot more stressful than other people's jobs. How dare he turn around and compare her to the average Joe Bloggs. Surely he should understand where she's coming from, after all he is supposed to know her better than anybody else. So why didn't he get it? In all the fuss Poppy had abruptly stopped playing with her messed up chew and was now sat up looking curiously at Annie. Her big brown eyes met Annies and that instantly cheered her. She always had been a sucker for animals and Poppy's innocent puppy dog look was enough to melt anybodies heart. 'You understand don't you poppy' Annie whispered as she knelt down on her hands and knees in front of the playful pup. Poppy sniffed at Annie's nose before giving it a quick nip and doing a lap around the kitchen table. Annie let out a hearty laugh as she watched Poppy running around and around waiting for Annie to chase her and she was seriously considering it before the phone started ringing. 'Can I not get any peace today?" Annie moaned to herself as she picked up the reciever.
"Hello?" She said sharply.
"Hi Annie it's Neil here from Brixton." Came the reply on the end of the line. Didn't they ever leave her alone?
"Hi Neil what's up?" She asked warily.She was sure she hadn't missed anything like a court date or a session with a client but Neil had only ever rang Annie twice before and it was only usually when she had forgotten something.
"Have you read your clients files yet?" Yeah like she's really had time to do read them yet! She took a deep breath in before she replied before she said something she would regret.
"Annie?" Neil asked warily.
"Yeah sorry Neil, No I haven't read them yet as I've only just signed for them why?"
" I just wanted to know if you had decided on whether or not you were going to agree to working with the client that's all. Never mind give me a ring after you've read through the files and remember I understand if you don't want to do it." The concern in Neils voice prompted Annie to feel extremely anxious. She had never turned down a client before so why would she suddenly decide to now? Had he picked up on how unhappy she was feeling lately?
"Alright Neil I'll get back to you as soon as I've read them." Putting down the phone Annie finished making herself a coffee. All sorts were running through her mind. What exactly did Neil mean when he said he'd understand if she didn't want to do it? 'Sod it' she thought to herself as she ripped the package open, took out the files and placed them in front of her. However what she saw shocked her to the core. She understood perfectly now what Neil had meant but she couldn't believe it. She wouldn't believe it.Right there in front of her were her own sisters files.


© Copyright 2006 AimeeLou1984 (aimeelou1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1063781-untitled-as-of-yet