*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1064171-A-Series-of-Mistakes
by foxlet
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Drama · #1064171
To date, the life of David Hardy has been a series of mistakes.
The life of David Hardy has been, to date, a series of mistakes.

Mistake #1: Learning to hate his step-parents.
David was taken into custody when he was five. He taught himself to hate the people he lived with, and only later learned that they were incredibly good people and the best that ever happened to him.

Mistake #2: Dropping out.

There was a time Dave was too tired of life and himself to study, so he quit before graduating. Because of that unfortunate decision, he hasn't got a proper job or a proper apartment or a proper anything, really.

Mistake #3: Drinking.

When David was seventeen, he started drowning his problems in liquor. This, of course, turned around to bite him in the arse, and the drinking landed him with a new circle of friends, and a new circle of friends landed him into a mess of partying and booze and drugs.

Mistake #4: Doing drugs.

It wasn't pretty. He got seriously addicted to narcoleptics. And those, in turn, got him into deep shit, but that, in turn, might have led to the one good decision he made in his whole life.

Mistake #5: Getting into that one fight.

He should've stayed out of the way, really, but he was high as a kite and felt invincible. The whole mess cost him an eye and a broken arm. But then he had to go to the hospital, and that got him free of the drugs.

Mistake #6: Looking up his parents, both biological and foster.

The biological parents were both drug addicts and alcoholics. Neither seemed to do anything for a living.

Dave's step-parents were incredibly understanding and kind and David realised how like his parents he was and how badly he had fucked up his life by shunning them.

Mistake #7: Pulling the trigger.

Everything culminated into a deep depression, and that, in turn, led into the situation he is in now.

The sun is just sinking below the horizon. The birds are singing, the air is nice and warm, like it is on a perfect evenings in late spring like this one. It hasn't rained in a week, but the grass is soft and green.

The stale air is shaken by a shockwave and a quiet groan. The sun sinks below the horizon.
© Copyright 2006 foxlet (prologi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1064171-A-Series-of-Mistakes