*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066052-The-Wave-Dragon-Watinor
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1066052
This is an excerpt from a manual on dragons I have created for my fantasy world.
Watinor

This wave dragon inhabits a cave at the bottom of the Blue Inlet. She has been a major contributor to the well-being of cities surrounding the Blue Inlet by warding off Daggerbath’s - the thieves' guild that terrorizes those people near the Blue Inlet - boats.
Though, when she attacks the rogues' ships, very few of the crewmembers are allowed to live, simply because she knows they will be back to wreak more havoc, and she doesn't want to have te clean up after them. One of these that survived, I managed to track down and hear his story of the dragon’s fury.

“We had loaded our ships down with things we stole from Hallded and were sailing home to Ighertan. We had been sailing no more than ten minutes when – oh! I’ll never forget this – a hulking wave dragon rose out of the water beside us.
“When she was coming out of the water, she knocked a huge hole in the side of the ship with her tail. Water rushed in, and within minutes, the starboard side was heading toward the sea, where she had returned. Her mouth was eagerly awaiting whoever slipped and slid over the side of the ship.
“Those who managed to hang on were either killed in her next attack or jumped overboard. With the ship only seconds away from being completely sunk and I ready to go down with the ship, she rose out of the water and grabbed me in her claw.
“Together – well, I don’t know if together is the right word because when you’re flying together you’re generally not doing so against your will – we headed toward headquarters. It was an awful feeling, being held in a dragon’s claws, but that was not what upset me most. It was the fear of not knowing where she would take or what she would do to me.
“None to gently, she dropped me upon the southeastern beach of the island. I was so sure that she was going to eat me in front of the entire group as an example as she landed beside me. She spoke to me in her softest, most evil voice saying, ‘Tell your thickskulled leader I mean what I said earlier this month. No more words need be said between you, as he knows of what I speak.’
“I 'ave no idea what was said between them, though I could guess that she did most of the talking.”

Watinor spends the majority of her time preventing Daggerbath, the theives' guild, from trading across the ocean. Thus far, she has been greatly effective in limiting the number of raids upon nearby cities by the group. Such heroics will probably be the death of her.
© Copyright 2006 Scribblewords (wordweaver112 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066052-The-Wave-Dragon-Watinor