*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066201-My-Speech----Winnie-the-Pooh
Rated: E · Other · Children's · #1066201
This is the speech I wrote for school.
Winnie-the-Pooh

Good morning/afternoon, Mrs. Lane, staff, students, parents and guardians of my school. For those of you who do not know me, I am Astatia.

Today, I would like you to meet a very special friend of mine. He is yellowish brown, soft and cuddly and wears a red shirt. He keeps me company and protects me from bad dreams. This friend is Winnie-the-Pooh.

Some of the most important words to remember are: Eeyore, Rabbit, Tigger, Piglet, Owl, Christopher Robin and of course Winnie-the Pooh.

Winnie-the-Pooh is named after the black bear Winnie and a swan named Pooh. The black bear, Winnie, was named after the Canadian soldier, Lieutenant Colebourn’s hometown of Winnipeg. The swan was a pet of Christopher’s and when they said good–bye they took the name with them.

Winnie-the-Pooh started out as Edward Bear. After Christopher Robin met Winnie at the London Zoo he renamed Edward, Winnie. Christopher Robin’s father, Alan Alexander Milne, wrote about the adventures Christopher Robin and Winnie the Pooh had together in 1924. On October 14, 1926, Winnie-the-Pooh was published. By 1996, 20 million copies of Winnie-the-Pooh, Now We are Six and The House at Pooh Corner had been sold and in 25 different languages.

Did you know that Christopher Robin was one year older than Winnie-the-Pooh? Christopher Robin got Winnie-the-Pooh for his first birthday on August 21st, 1921. This is when I celebrate Winnie’s birthday, not only so close to mine but close to when I received my first Pooh bear.

Did you know that Winnie-the-Pooh has his own friendship day? It is celebrated around August 8th. I didn’t know that. But I can honestly say that now that I do know, I’m going to celebrate it every year.

Now I would like to introduce you to some of Winnie-the-Pooh’s friends.

Eeyore is an old grey donkey, who is always losing his tail somewhere. Eeyore’s birthday is December 25, 1921. that is when Christopher Robin first got him.

Next is Rabbit, he lives in a hole where Winnie got stuck. The real Rabbit lived somewhere in the forest around Christopher Robin’s home.

Piglet is a little baby pig, he is very shy and timid. Sometimes his own shadow is enough to scare him. Piglet moved in with Winnie so Owl would have the home Eeyore found for him.

Owl is a wise old owl. He moved into Piglet’s first home after the wind blew his home over.

Tigger is a wonderful thing:
“Their tops are made of rubber,
Their bottoms are made out of springs.
They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy,
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!”

But Winnie-the-Pooh’s best friend is Christopher Robin. Christopher Robin was born on August 21, 1920. Regrettably, Christopher Robin out grew Winnie-the-Pooh when he was 6 years old. In 1996 Winnie suffered the biggest loss ever, worse than being placed in a glass cabinet and vistited every once in awhile. That was the year when Christopher passed away.

“Gotta get up, I gotta get going’
I’m gonna see a friend of mine
He’s round and he’s fuzzy
I love him because
He’s just Pooh Bear, Winnie the Pooh Bear
…..Silly old Winnie the Pooh…..
© Copyright 2006 Princess Bright as Star (princessstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1066201-My-Speech----Winnie-the-Pooh