*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067548-The-Farm
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1067548
A traveler comes across an isolated farm in the mountains.
The Farm
By
Jesse J Burton
February 5, 2006

i


A breeze blew through the tall grass causing it to dance in the golden light of the early morning sun. The flowers of summer opened their petals and stretched out sending droplets of dew crashing to the ground below. A soft yellow haze filled the air as it so often does early in the morning, creating a dreamlike stage for nature to put on its eternal show.

A young girl, of about seventeen or eighteen years, dipped her empty pail into the stream and pulled it out full of fresh water. She followed the well-worn path up the hill, through the trees, and back to the farm house. She swung open the wooden gate with her hip causing water to splash over the sides of the pail leaving a dark splotch on her dress; this made her giggle.

Samantha was beautiful in every sense of the word. Her hair, dirty blonde and straight as straight can be, fell across her shoulders like a waterfall of gold. She had a smile that could melt a snowman on the coldest day of the year. Her closet was full of many dresses, at least one for each day of the week. Some were small and fitted, most were big and puffy, all looked like they came from the early 1900’s.

The house also had a century old look to it. It was two stories of pure elegance; white wooden siding with dark blue trim, hand carved by her father. A deck wrapped around the house like a moat around a castle; flowers hung in baskets over the edges of the white railing. The front yard was surrounded by, you guessed it, a white picket fence; it was your typical turn of the century house. “Sam, is that you?” Samantha’s mother called as she pushed open the screen door that was never locked (no need for security this far away from civilization)

“It’s me mom, I got the water, well one bucket anyways” Sam’s happiness showed through in her voice.

“Great, I’m just about to wash some dishes and do some cleaning; I have the stove lit, I’m gonna go grab some more wood. Would you mind to grab a couple more pails for the tub? I have some laundry to do to.” She held the door open for Sam.

“Sure thing momma!” she exclaimed.

Things had been tough at first; but Sam and her mother, Helen, had adjusted to not having Stephen around anymore. Sam’s father’s horse went wild while out on one of the many trails in the mountains around them. Stephen was thrown from his horse over the edge and fell sixty feet to his death. The horse ran off and was never seen again. Although his body was not found until several hours later the doctor concluded that he had died on impact and so never suffered. At the time this did not ease Sam and Helens suffering, but after they had time to grieve, it became one of the things that helped them get through his death.

Helen made her way down the two steps at the front of the house and walked around to the wood pile. She was a tall lady, brown hair. It was easy to see where Samantha had gotten her looks. She wore mostly dresses that formed to her body; this made it easier to do her daily shores.

She filled her arms with as much wood as she could carry and turned back towards the house, not seeing the man who was now standing in her path.

“Do you need some help with that ma'am?” He asked.
Helen dropped the wood and let out a tiny scream then placed her hands on her heart trying to catch it before it jumped out of her chest.

“Dear me, you startled me, I didn’t see you come up” her fright quickly replaced with a hospitable warmth.

“I’m terribly sorry ma'am, here allow me.” He picked up the wood and introduced himself. “I’m Gavin.”

“Well thank you, thank you very much Gavin. I’m Helen, say Why don’t you come join my daughter and I for a cup of tea and you can tell us what brings you way up here to our little farm?” she asked, making her way back to the front door.

“I would love a cup of tea.” He paused, then followed Helen “A little warm to have the fireplace going don’t you think?” he asked.
“Oh dear no, the wood is for the stove, how else will we warm the water for the tea silly” she replied.

“You have a wood stove? No electricity up here?” Gavin asked.

“Oh heavens no, even if they could get electricity all the way up here, who could afford it! Electricity is only for rich folk.” Helen replied.

“I suppose your right” Gavin agreed. He spent several seconds wondering about her comment and then let it fall into the back of his mind.

“Sam…Sam, we have a guest!” Helen cried out.

“I filled the sink with the pail, I’ll be right back with some…” she stopped as she pushed through the screen, obviously not having heard her mothers comment.

This time it was Gavin’s turn to drop the wood, several pieces fell out of his arms as he was struck, not by fear, but by beauty.

“Oh, oops, sorry how clumsy of me, let me…” his face was flush with embarrassment as he bent down to pick up the wood; Samantha stifled a giggle.
Helen, noticing the obvious connection between her daughter and Gavin broke the silence “Sam this is Gavin, Gavin, this is my daughter, Samantha.” Samantha giggled.

“Sam why don’t you take Gavin down to the stream and get some water for tea?” Helen suggested

“Sure thing momma!” she exclaimed. Gavin chuckled at the novelty of these woods-women.
Sam liked him; he had a sense of mystery about him that she could not resist. His jeans were old, and well traveled, just like him. He wore a brown jacket with a collar that flipped out to reveal a white sheep-wool lining. On his head he wore a hat that was not quite a cowboy hat. It reminded Sam of a man that used to go to their church; he was from Australia and wore the same hat. Only the man from church was not anything like Gavin, The man from church was old, and ugly. Gavin was her age, and definitely not ugly. His long golden hair and rough, stubble covered face masked the gentle kindness that showed through in his smile. She liked the way his eyes creased at the edges when he laughed.

“So are you from around here?” Sam asked breaking the silence on the walk down to the stream.

“Well that depends” Gavin said.

“Depends on what?” Samantha asked him.

“Well originally I am from a small town called Carstairs. It’s in Alberta, but I haven’t been there in a long time. Now I’m from wherever I am at the time.” He stated.

Not really understanding what he meant, Sam replied “Oh, I see”

As if noticing that she didn’t quite get his meaning Gavin added “You see I left home when I was young, now I travel. I spend days wandering, seeing new places experiencing new things, meeting new people, and then at night I sleep either under the stars, or wherever hospitality is offered.”

“Will you be staying with us?” she asked.

“Is that an offer?” he returned with a smile.

“Well I would have to check with momma, but I can’t see it bein a problem” Samantha replied with a hopeful look on her face.

“Well I would like that, you’re very kind.” Gavin replied.

Together they walk and talked as they made their way through the gate and down the path to the stream. Helen watched them leave from the house, although she didn’t know much about him, she knew he was a good man. It was one of her gifts, she could tell instantly about a person’s character by their mannerisms and voice.

They had tea when they returned, and chatted for several hours, Gavin telling stories of his travels, while Sam and Helen reminisced about their life in the mountains. Sam and Helen were amazed by Gavin’s stories; he spoke of cars and buses and skyscrapers. Had the world changed that much since they moved away from it? Gavin could not believe how little they knew about the outside world. The rest of the day was filled with chores; Gavin was more than happy to help out in any way he could. That night, he stayed in the guest room.

ii


Gavin woke in the middle of the night when he thought he heard a scream. He sat upright in bed and listened; silence. It was then that he noticed the sweat not dripping, but pouring off his body. It had to be a hundred degrees or more in his room. They don’t even have electricity, how can it be this hot he thought to himself. It almost feels like the place is on fire. This thought made him jump out of bed and run out the door. The house was calm, no fire, no screams. After he calmed down he realized that the house was no longer as hot as it had been only a few seconds earlier. His body was still drenched, but the temperature in the house was now actually quite comfortable.

Samantha came running down stairs; the site of her nightgown covered body, in the light of the candle that she held, made all of Gavin’s concerns fall away.

“Gavin, what’s the matter? Are you alright?” She asked, sleepily.

“I… I’m fine, I think? Must have been a bad dream that’s all.” He paused then added “Sam? Was it hot in here a few minutes ago? Like when you woke up?”

“No, not at all” she approached him and noticed his sweaty shirt. “perhaps we should open a window in your room?” She suggested.

Samantha led the way to the guest room with her candle, she set it on the night table and released the lever that held the window shut.

“There, that should be better I think.” She said as she lifted the window setting a block in it to prop it open.

“Thank you” Gavin said.

She looked at Gavin; he looked back, several moments passed as they stood there lost in each others eyes.

“Well, I guess we should get back to bed” Gavin broke the silence.

“Yeah… I guess your right.” She headed for the door then turned back “Hey Gavin?” she asked.

“Yeah?” Gavin replied.

“What’s your last name?” Samantha inquired.

“Lockheart” he answered, “and yours?”

“McClaran” she said then took her candle and left with the corners of her mouth stretching to reach her ears.

Gavin, still a little uneasy from his rude awakening, stirred in bed until he finally fell asleep.

iii


Several days passed, Gavin spent them doing chores, helping out around the farm, and getting to know Samantha. Helen was glad for the help, and even more glad that her daughter had someone to bond with. It was a lonely life up on the mountain, but a life that the MacClarans decided was right for them. By the time the fourth day rolled around, Gavin had stayed at the farm longer than anywhere he had stayed in the past three years.

When the daily chores were done Sam and Gavin climbed trees, went for walks, had tea with Helen; It was a good life, a life that Gavin thought he might get used to. Samantha showed Gavin all of her favorite places to relax. The cliffs west of their house, a waterfall, and a rock so large that it looked like a beach at the edge of the stream. It was here that they shared their first kiss.

“So you like living here in the mountains huh?” A question that Gavin was sure he had asked at least ten times. It was meant more to kill the silence that had come between them as the sat on the rock.

“Yeah” she replied, not really paying attention to what she was saying. Her hand slid closer to his on the rock.

“It’s so nice of you and your mom to let me stay here” he adjusted himself so that his hand was closer to her hand, and his body faced her body.

“Believe me the help you’ve done has been worth it, and besides, I kinda like having you here.” She replied then tilted her head down to hide her embarrassed cheeks.

Gavin looked at her and fell in Love, not for the first time, but for the same number of times that he had looked at her before.

“Well that’s good, cause I kinda like bein here.” He replied.

She looked up, they gazed into each others eyes both anticipating the inevitable kiss that was to follow. Their heads moved ever so slightly together then paused. Gavin saw one last sparkle in Samantha’s eyes before she closed them; his eyes followed. Their lips met, filling their mouths with the warmth that only a kiss can create. Gavin placed his hand behind her head while slowly massaging her lips with the tip of his tongue. They lay down together on the rock and made love as the sun left the sky granting them the privacy of darkness.

The days turned into routines that were precisely followed. Chores were done then Gavin and Samantha would spend their evenings together. Helen was happy for her daughter, and of course Gavin and Samantha were more than happy because they were in love.

Weeks went by. Eventually Gavin forgot about the rest of civilization. He realized how they could be so oblivious to the outside world. It didn’t matter that the stock markets were low today or that six-hundred employees were laid off from a huge corporation, all that mattered was that they had each other.

Aside from the odd recurring nightmare that occasionally left Gavin sweating in his bed, life was perfect.

iv


It was about three months after Gavin’s arrival when it happened. The chores were complete for the day—it never took long now with three of them helping out—Gavin and Sam decided to go climbing in the hills behind the house, something they did quite often. Sam was always adventurous, pushing herself to the limit in everything she did. She was always trying to out-do Gavin, and many times she did.

“One of these days you are going to fall off and hurt yourself, and then where would we be huh? I haven’t seen too many doctors out here?” Gavin shouted up to Sam. She was climbing up her favorite tree, it stretched out over a gorge with a flat branch at the top that she loved to sit on to enjoy the sun.

“Oh you worry to much, it’s not like I haven’t done this a hundred times.” She mocked.

“Well it only takes once, and I don’t think I could run down there to catch you fas—“
The tree let out a thunderous CRACK and shifted in the earth bringing a large root to the surface. Sam shrieked. Gavin let out a startled gasp and quickly moved toward the base of the tree.

“Its ok just slide down the trunk, I’ll catch you.” Gavin assured.

“Gavin!” she turned to face him, the tree shifted another couple inches. “Gavin!!” she was too afraid to move, by this time she had started to cry.

“Come on, you can do it, just slide down—“ Another shift.

“I can’t, Gavin I can’t, I’m too scared, I can’t move.” She sobbed.

“Ok hold on I’m coming to get you.” he told her.

“NO, Gavin you can’t” Sam pleaded.

Gavin moved forward to begin his climb but the tree shifted, this time several feet sending a jolt through its branches flipping Samantha off balance. She screamed as she held on for dear life, now hanging by one arm over the cliff. She looked down through teardrop filled eyes at the jagged rocks twenty feet below.

“Gavin…GAVIN HELP ME!!!” she cried but it was too late. Her fingers gave way and she fell. Time slowed to almost a stop as Gavin saw Samantha plummet helplessly to the ground below. Her body crashed into the only bush that was growing amidst the rocks. Gavin ran to the edge and screamed down to her.

“SAM?” no reply.

Her body lay lifeless, caught in the brambles of the bush that may or may not have saved her life. Gavin ran down the small path that led down into the gorge yelling and crying as he went.

“SAM, oh God please God, not Sam.” He almost lost his own footing several times before he reached her.

Her leg had not been as lucky as her body. It lay across the top of a jagged rock, broken. Her foot was twisted around in a direction that a foot is never meant to face. Blood oozed out of the wound that was opened when her bone tore through the skin on her leg.

Gavin went to her face and kissed her cheek.

“God no…Sam, you can’t be dead Sam, SAM!!!” he cried and laid his head on her chest. A pulse, oh my god she has a pulse! She was alive, but unconscious.

“You’re gonna be ok Sam, I’ll get you home, you’ll be ok.” He tore his shirt off and wrapped it tightly above the broken leg to stop the bleeding. He broke two branches off of the bush and tied them into his shirt to keep the leg from moving; he carefully lifted her into his arms. He carried her two miles down the path, reassuring her all the way.

“You’re gonna be ok, we’ll fix you up, just hold on.” He told her.

Helen rushed to the gate screaming when she saw Gavin holding Samantha’s limp, blood-soaked body. She held the gate open and then the door as Gavin brought her into the house and set her on the couch in the living room. Helen was hysterical, sobbing and crying out “She’s dead… My baby, please no.” She sat beside Sam holding her hands, rocking herself back and forth as Gavin cut open her jeans with a knife that he grabbed from the kitchen. He told Helen that she would be alright, but he would need towels and any alcohol she had in the house.

The bleeding had stopped. Gavin cleaned the wound as best he could with some of Mrs. MacCalum’s home-made Whiskey. Sam woke once, but only briefly than passed back out, which was a good thing. Gavin knew he would have to set the leg, but wasn’t sure if he knew how. He had taken survival and first aid courses when he was younger, but learning to do something and actually doing it were two different things. Helen, unable to bear seeing her daughter this way went into the kitchen and tried to make herself some tea. She was unable to concentrate enough to light a fire to heat the water; and so she slid to the floor and let her tears consume her.

Gavin braced himself at the end of the sofa; Sam squirmed as he grabbed hold of her leg. Even unconscious he knew she was in pain. One…Two… before he reached the third number he pulled the leg back, he felt nauseous as he watched the bone slid back inside her skin and re-align with the rest of her leg. Sam screamed; Gavin had placed a piece of kindling in her mouth to prevent her from biting her tongue off—it snapped.

The wound started bleeding again; Gavin had to work quickly to tighten the shirt that he had tied above the wound. He went into the kitchen to check on Helen. She looked up at him through wet eyes.

“Is she going to be ok?” she asked.
Gavin was silent; he couldn’t tell her that he wasn’t sure. He didn’t know if she would be alright, he didn’t know if she would ever open her eyes again. He had done everything he could, for now.

He sat down beside Helen and took her in his arms. All they could do now was wait.
Neither Gavin nor Helen slept that night, they sat in the living room drinking tea and waiting, hoping, praying. Sam didn’t wake until the next day, Helen was in the kitchen tidying up—it kept her mind off Sam, or as much off as she could hope for—Gavin was sitting beside the couch holding her hand. She turned her head and opened her eyes.

“Ga…Gavin” she croaked.

“Sam…Oh my God Sam!!” he began to cry. “ I was so
scared Sam, so scared that you wouldn’t…” he couldn’t finish.

“Mom?” she asked.

“I’ll get her, wait here” he winked at her and
began to stand up, then turned around and took her face in his hands kissing her lips passionately.

“I Love you” He told her.

She smiled and replied “I Love you too.”
He left her side and ran to the kitchen to get Helen, she wasn’t there.

“HELEN, HELEN SHE’S AWAKE….SAMS AWAKE” he yelled checking room to room. He went back to the living room.

“Where is she Gav?” Sam asked.

“I’ll be right back.” He dashed out the door looking around, she was nowhere in site. He called out to her as he ran down through the gate and along the path. Where is she? He thought then called out again.

“HELEN?...HELEN?…”

“Over Here!” the reply finally came. He looked down towards the river and there she was, running at full speed.

“Gavin, is she up? Is she ok??” she yelled.

“She’s awake” he replied, they embraced, then ran together back to the house.

Samantha greeted them with her familiar smile, she winced, then smiled again.

Later that night they sat together in the living room, Gavin had taken care of the chores and Helen was caught up in her house work. Samantha had stayed awake the rest of the afternoon.

“Thank you Mom, Gavin…I’m so sorry to put you through this I—“ Samantha told them.

“Shhh, never you mind child, all’s well, and you’re alright, that’s all that matters” Helen replied. “I’m afraid that I must get some much needed rest, you’d do best to do the same Gav, neither of us got much sleep last night.”

“I think I may sleep in here tonight, on the chair, that is if it’s alright with you?” He asked.

“Fine by me child, you won’t be very comfortable, but it’s fine by me.” She replied.

“Thank you” Gavin said.

“Yes mom, thank you” Sam smiled, a tear rolled down her cheek, not a tear of joy, but of pain. They knew she was hurting, but Samantha wouldn’t let her pain bring down the happiness in the room.
Helen went to bed. Gavin sat on the floor beside Sam holding her hand, gazing into her eyes.

“I Love you Sam” he told her

“I Love you too” she replied.

He leaned in and kissed her nose while gently caressing the back of her hand with his thumb.

“How’re you feelin?” Gavin asked.

“Alright” she told him. Her eyes shifted away as she answered him, he knew this meant she was lying.

“How are you feeling?” He asked again moving his head so that their eyes met.

“It hurts, How could I be so stupid…” She said.

“It was an accident, it happens.” He told her. “I
try not to think about it but it could have been a lot worse.”

“Yeah, your rig…right.” Her voice trailed off as she closed her eyes. Gavin brushed the hair off her face. Her breathing became slow and loud. He knew she was asleep; shortly after he too fell asleep, sitting on the floor still holding her hand.

v


Gavin was the first to wake up. The sun was already high in the sky, I must have been tired to sleep sitting up like this, he thought. He stretched out to allow his stiff muscles to regain consciousness then realized that Samantha’s hand was wet. He looked up to her face, she was drenched with sweat.

“Sam, Sam wake up.” He whispered.

“uuuuhhg” was all she could mutter. Her eyes opened but remained drowsy.

“Ga…Gav…I don’t feel good.” she told him.

“You’ll be ok, it’s just a little fever. I’ll get you a cloth, hold on.” He stood up and went to the kitchen; Helen lazily made her way down the stairs still in her nightgown.

“How is she this morning?” Helen asked.

“She has a fever” he told her.

“How bad?” she asked.

“She’s sweating pretty bad, she feels very warm, I’m gonna get her a cloth for her forehead.”

There was a little bit of water left in the bucket from the day before, Gavin dipped a cloth in it and wrung it out.

“Is she ok? Do you think it’s the leg?” Helen asked.

“I can’t say for sure…but I think so” he told her. They looked at each other confirming one another’s worry and went to the living room.

“Momma” Sam whispered “are you here?”

“I’m here baby, don’t worry.” Helen took the cloth from Gavin and knelt beside Samantha. She pushed back her hair and placed the damp cloth on her forehead.

“We’re here Sam, we’ll take care of you.” Gavin added.

They did everything they could, but the fever did not go down, several times it got worse, but never lessened. Gavin and Helen began to worry, they knew that she needed medicine, but the nearest town was over a days walk away and they didn’t know how much time she had.

“Sam?” Gavin knelt beside her. Even when awake she remained in a state of semi-consciousness, only able to speak a few words at a time.

“Gav? It’s…really hot…in here…” She muttered.

“I know” Gavin choked. He was struggling to hold back his tears. “Sam I have to go away for a bit.”

Sam’s eyes widened suddenly more conscious. “No, Gavin don’t leave me, I’m better I can—“ She tried to move, Gavin stopped her.

“Sam no, listen to me, I am not leaving you. You need medicine, I have to go to town to get it. Your mom’s here, she’s gonna take care of you.” Helen stood behind Gavin.

“Gavin, I Love you, please—“ Sam pleaded.

“Sam…” he couldn’t hold his tears any longer. “I have to…your leg is infected and you…” he looked away, paused, then looked back. “I won’t be long, I promise.”

Sam looked at him, she was crying. Gavin
was crying. Helen was crying.

“Sam, meeting you has been the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” Gavin told her. “I know we haven’t known each other long, but I know that I love you.”

Samantha smiled trapping a tear in the corner of her mouth.

“Before I go I want to ask you something. May I?” he asked. Samantha nodded.

“Now, I don’t have a proper ring” He said as he shifted to one knee. “Samantha MacClaran, Will you marry me?” He placed a large nut on her finger that he had found out by the barn, on it he had scratched ‘GL + SM’. All three of them smiled, instantly transforming there tears of sadness and pain into tears of joy. She leaned in and kissed him.

“Of course I will. Gavin I love you so much.” She told him.

“Is that ok with you mom?” he asked standing up and turning to Helen.

“Of course it is Gavin, you make my daughter so happy, I would be honored to call you my son.” They hugged.

“You best be off, the sooner you leave the sooner you can return, and the sooner Sam will be back on her feet.”

vi


Gavin walked the rest of the day and night along the path that Helen had pointed out. It felt weird, leaving the only place he had known for the past season, but his mind was too occupied with Sam’s safety to care. The sun was peaking over the horizon when he finally reached the road. A green sign told him that Dirkshire was only two kilometers down the road. The presence of cars seemed some how wrong, but Gavin was thankful for them. Three vehicles passed all ignoring his outstretched thumb; finally his request was answered by an older man in a pickup.

“What’s your name son?” The old man asked as Gavin pulled himself up into the passenger seat.

“Gavin sir, thank you so much for the lift.” He replied.

“No problem, don’t get to many travelers out here, not much around these parts. I’m Terrance.” He introduced himself.

“Pleasure to meet you.” Gavin replied.

“So what brings ya way out here?” Terrance inquired.

“I’ve been living up the path, with the MacClaran’s.” He told him.

“Helen?” He asked with a puzzled look on his face.

“Yes that’s right, and Sam, there was an accident, Samantha fell she needs med—“ Gavin slid forward in his seat as the old man pulled the truck over to the side of the road.

“What’s wrong” Gavin asked.

“I think you need to get out son” Terrance told him.

“Why? What did I—“ Gavin wasn’t aloud to finish his sentence.

“I don’t give rides to liars boy, you stay away from that farm, They was good folks Helen and Sam, I knew them, your lies disrespect them.” The old man scolded. Knew? Gavin was surprised at this reference to past tense.

“But I—“

“I think you best get out” Terrance warned.

Gavin slid out of the truck and was left alone on the side of the road, confused. The road was empty, forcing Gavin to walk the rest of the way. He still couldn’t figure out what he did, but his concerns for the crazy old man were minimal compared to his concerns for Sam, he knew that she didn’t have much time.

Several bells rang as he swung open the screen door to Mort’s Drug and Variety store. The pharmacists was a portly fellow, in his late forties. A forest of graying hair surrounded the bald spot on top of his head. He wore small round glasses that suited his round face and was dressed in a traditional white pharmacists smock.

“What can I do ya for?” he asked looking up from whatever he was doing behind the counter. Gavin chuckled internally at the man’s eyes; they looked huge in his thick glasses.

“I need penicillin, gauze, and Band-Aids. Oh and a syringe, for the penicillin.” He told him.

“We got that here, I have ta ask though what’s the penicillin for? Got a lotta young guys comin in sayin they need medicine and a syringe, when God knows all they want is the syringe so they can shoot themselves up with that herin stuff” He said, mispronouncing Heroin.

“It’s for Samantha MacClaran, she fell and broke her leg. It’s infected and she has a bad fever.” He told him

“Samantha MacClaran huh? If you wanted the syringe for drugs ya shoulda come up with a better lie than that. I’m sorry boy, no herin for you” he laughed and turned away.

“I’m not lying, does this town have something against the MacClaran’s?” he asked.

“Son, the MacClaran’s are dead. Bin that way for mor’an fifty years. Everyone here knows the story, got it posted on the bill board out front. Ya probly read it on yer way in. Jus can’t believe you’d try an use it ta get yerself high.” He mocked.

“That’s not…I just came from—“ Gavin was lost in confusion.

“Go’in see for ya self” The pharmacist told him.

Gavin walked to the front of the store and saw the billboard that the pharmacist spoke of. There were several newspaper clippings, including one from 1937 with a headline that read. “Two Die in House Fire.” Gavin recognized the ‘before’ picture of the house immediately, after all he had lived there for the past three months. The after picture however made his body chill. The charred remains of the house, nothing was left but a scattered mess, blackened with soot. It must have been rebuilt he thought, Sam?… He forced himself to read the article.

Helen and Samantha MacClaran passed away Thursday night in a house fire. It is believed that the wood stove was left burning when the two women went to sleep causing a rag to catch fire. Samantha was bed-ridden from a climbing accident that had left her with a broken leg. Police say that based on the positioning of their bodies Helen had been trying to drag Samantha to safety when a beam fell blocking there way out. The remains of a young mans possessions were found in the guest room, his body was not found, it remains unsure of his involvement with the fire. The MacClaran’s will be well missed throughout the community, Rest in Peace.

Gavin sat down on the floor, this can’t be true, there must be some kind of mistake. He couldn’t believe it.

“Sir, I need that penicillin” he told the pharmacist as he walked to the back of the store.

“I told you son, no drugs for you, it’d be against the law for me to sell it to ya.” He told him.

Gavin climbed over the counter and took what he needed, the pharmacist yelled at him to leave but did not dare try to stop him. He picked up the phone.

“Sheriff, It’s Tom, I gotta a druggy here, he’s robbin me, git over here right away.” He hung up and continued to tell Gavin to stop, informing him that he was only making it worse for himself. Gavin placed a fifty on the counter, more than enough to cover the expense, thanked Tom for his help and then ran out the door. The sound of Sirens filled his ears as he made it down the street, around the corner and back onto the road that he came in on. He ran as fast as he could carrying the supplies under his arm. He didn’t dare try to hitch a ride. The path was easy to find, but only because he knew where it was. The cruisers that passed by didn’t see it, or him as he crouched behind a bush and waited for them to pass.

He made it to the stream early the next morning. He looked up the hill afraid of what he might find when he got to the top.

“SAM, SAM I’m back” He was crying as he topped the hill and saw what his heart feared to be true. The farm was not as he left it. Over-grown now by pine trees and bushes, the remains of a long since burned house sat where the farm house had been only yesterday. He fell to his knees and cried.

Almost a half-hour passed before Gavin had the composure to stand and walk through the burnt remains of the house. He couldn’t believe it, had Sam and Helen really existed? Were they figment’s of his imagination? Where had he been the past month if not here? He kicked through the dried up soot when something shiny caught his eye. He bent down and picked it up, bringing it to his face for closer inspection even though he knew what it was. A nut, with an inscription on it ‘GL + SM’; he smiled.

Gavin placed the nut in his pocket, picked some wild flowers from the spot that Helen’s garden had been and went to the rock where he and Samantha had first made love.

He placed the flowers on the rock and bowed his head.

“I Love you Sam, wherever you are.”

Gavin left the farm that day to continue his travels, still unsure of what had happened, but sure of his love for Sam, and Helen, whoever they were.
© Copyright 2006 Roland of Gilead (jessejburton at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1067548-The-Farm