*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1069457-Medran
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Homer
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1069457
I love to write fantasy and fiction, and this is just something that I came up with.
In the village of Derdjan, West of the Bareshian mountains, the sun was just beginning to shine its rays in the east. Despite the earliness of the hour, there was light still issuing from one of the houses, breaking the still darkness. In this house sat a man who was pondering his thoughts, staring into the fire burning next to him. His thoughts were dark, for the events of late were tragic and frightening.
Nine days ago, the man, whose name was Medran, had been going out to fetch water for a bath, when he heard frantic footsteps coming towards him. On first thought, he suspected that someone was attempting to ambush him or harm him. Picking up a thick branch from the ground, he prepared for an attack. What he discovered instead, however, was a pale boy, probably no older than sixteen. He didn't seem to be running towards Medran to attack him; it looked like he was running away from something. The look on the boy's face confirmed that he was indeed fleeing.
"What is it that you're running from?" asked Medran as the boy drew closer.
"Watch out!" cried the boy. He was indicating something behind him. As Medran looked, an axe came hurling towards his head. He ducked behind the well pump.
"Come on!" he yelled at the boy. He knew that if the boy made it to the pump, they would both have cover from whomever was attacking them. He tried to get a glimpse at their assailant, but he could only catch their outline, for whoever it was was standing just outside of the light.
The boy had almost made it. Only a few more steps. Medran ran out from behind the pump to take the boy's hand. Yet just as he was about to pull the boy behind the pump, a second axe caught the boy in the middle of his back. He fell to the ground, and with a staggering breath, reached up towards Medran, a look of sadness and fear in his eyes. Medran grabbed the boy and pulled him behind the pump. He held the boy, wanting him to suddenly get up and be fine.
"Come on, come on, fight it!" he urged, but he knew that his hope was a false one. "Don't go, please!" he pleaded. As he looked up, he saw a flash of red and white as the attacker ran.
He looked down into the boy's eyes and saw the light fade from them. He wept, and embraced the boy, holding in his arms the lifeless body of his son.
© Copyright 2006 Homer (homer513 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1069457-Medran