*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070539-Oh-Silly-Technology
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Editorial · Technology · #1070539
When vicious amounts of technology promote social inadequacy. I'm also sort of joking
Oh silly technology.
I’m sure there have been countless articles discussing this same topic, but I’ve been too busy arranging my collection of 60-some mixed CDs, dancing to the endless number of ringtones on my cell, and surfing MySpace, to notice. Despite my usage of these battery-powered objects, I would still like to consider myself technologically challenged. I am boggled by iPods, (especially the nanos! What is that?,) in middle school I failed computer class both years, and all those fancy features on my cell phone- Why the fck would I pay fifty cents to play Jewel of the Crown via Internet on a 2-inch screen? America’s recent infatuation with the latest, the Greatest, the High-Definition, plasma screen, $3,000 thinga-jig, is overwhelming me. And in many aspects, is harmful to it’s devoted users. There is an excess of television, computers, music players, and complicated, expensive shiny things in our culture. I have been personally victimized by the cruel world of isolation as a result of technology. The other day, I was waiting in the front entrance hallway of school for my typically tardy father to drive me home. He was late; subsequently I was alone, until a guy walked in. This particular guy was in my Chemistry class, yet we’ve never exchanged more than three words. I’ve always wanted to tell him that I’m amused by the uber-retro 70s outfits he wears to gym class, but that’s not the sort of thing you say when there’s a crowd of his friends around. No, this is personal. So, why, as we idled alone for ten minutes, waiting impatiently for our parents to arrive, did we remain silent? Well, I was busy listening to bad guitar solos for the thousandth time, and as his massive headphones indicated, he was too. We exchanged no more than a nod of recognition, and when my dad finally pulled up, massive-headphones-boy was still unaware of my adoration for his knee-high socks and spandex.
In conclusion, I declare that constant music-listening abilities= social inadequacy!
© Copyright 2006 Tragically Born without a name (jessus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1070539-Oh-Silly-Technology