*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1071143-Thats-Amore
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Column · Other · #1071143
Appeared as the lead story on happynews.com The history of Valentine's Day
THAT’S AMORE’

Hearts and flowers, cards and candy, romantic dinners lasting through the weekend can only mean one thing…Valentine’s Day.

Valentine’s Day triggers memories of long ago and some more recent. I remember Catholic grade school and a big box covered in bright white paper with red cupids and hearts for decoration sitting on Mother Marguerite’s desk. Seventh and eighth grade boys and girls were in separate classrooms, and this contact was about as close as we would get.

Mother Superior took the special Valentine’s box of cards to the boy’s classroom and returned with their cards for us. She appointed two of the girls in our class to distribute the valentine’s playing mailperson until the box was empty. There I sat, in my blue uniform and peter-pan collared white blouse, white sox and saddle shoes holding my breath. Each time one of the messengers started down our aisle I silently whispered, “Please let it be for me.”

So, why all the hoopla and when did this February 14th madness begin? What does this all mean and who is the culprit who started this hearts and candy Valentine craziness?

It shouldn’t surprise you that it all began in Rome, Italy. Italian being referred to as a Romance language, the holiday is credited to none other than St. Valentine the patron saint of amore.’ Today the Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.

Now, sit back and get comfortable, turn on Dean Martin while he sings “Amore” and feast on a slice of pizza and a glass of wine, do I ever have a story for you. Legend goes back to the reign of Emperor Claudius II who decided single men were better soldiers than those with a wife and children. This was mainly because the married men didn’t want to leave their family.

Emperor Claudius II (not a very nice person) banned marriage completely. A Roman priest named Valentine thought the Emperor’s decree unjust and just plain mean. In spite of all this, Valentine continued to marry couples in secret. When Valentine’s actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

While in jail waiting to be put to death, a young girl came to visit him regularly. Valentine was quite taken with her and she turned out to be the jailor’s daughter. He did not get to see her one last time before he met the grim reaper, but he did write her a letter and signed it, “From your Valentine”.

Other stories tell that Valentine was a Roman who was martyred for refusing to give up Christianity. He died on February 14, 269 A.D. the same day that had been devoted to love lotteries. You may be wondering, “What in the world is a Love Lottery and where can I buy $20.00 worth of tickets?”

It seems these lotteries go back to ancient Rome. At the time February 14th was a holiday to remember and pay homage to Juno. She was the Queen of the Roman Gods and Goddesses. The following day, February 15th, began the Feast of Lupercalia. Just like when I was in seventh and eighth grade, the lives of boys and girls were imperatively separate.

One of the customs of the young people was name drawing or Love Lottery. On the 14th the girls wrote their names on slips of paper and placed into jars. On the day of the Festival, a young man would draw the name of a girl from the jar and the couple would enjoy each other’s company throughout the day of the festival. As in modern times, some unions lasted a lifetime and some only hours.

So, whether you have big plans for the 14th or are going to spend a quiet evening at home, here is at least something to impress your date with or at least to ponder with good old Dean while enjoying that private glass of wine. This Valentine’s may your memories be happy and last a lifetime. (By the way, pick me up a Love Lottery ticket if you find a place where they are sold.)

© Copyright 2006 ms_dilbert (imascola at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1071143-Thats-Amore