*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1073084-Battling-The-Darkness
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1073084
The battle between light and dark continues...
The heaviness that surrounds this tiny town is thick with an unseen presence. As people drive into the town, something seems to reach out toward them. They feel it instinctively, and yet many shrug it off.

Only when you spend time in the area do you realize that something dark and sinister has definitely captured this town.

The residents struggle daily with life, most not realizing the extent of their struggle. There are a very few who are aware of what seeps through the town like a wave of black ink, slowly covering all in its path.

If one were able to see from a spiritual perspective, this blackness would shrink back from a couple of homes, continuing on its way.

I am one of those people, who is aware of what is happening here. A glow of warmth and light surrounds my home like a golden bubble. I am very grateful for this, knowing what it was like when i wasn't aware.

Six years ago, I moved here. Being in tune with the spiritual realm, I could feel a suppression around the town. I could see it in the way people acted. I thought I was safe from it.

A year and a half of living in this tiny community, made me realize that I was not equipped at all to deal with what was consuming the town.

I moved back to the city I had come from. Being so thankful to have escaped! I vowed never to set foot in that town again.

..............

Six years ago, as I drove down the one main street towards my sisters home, I notice something unusual. There are no people walking around on the street. There are no children playing in the park.

This being a subconcious thought of observation as one drives, I, like so many, shrug it off.
My excitement mounts as I get closer to my sisters home. I have not seen her in years.

Karen is my only sister, eight years younger than myself. Our mother died when she was fourteen years old, so I became a sort of fill-in mother at twenty two years of age.
I didn't mind at all, being of a protective nature and the oldest of three children. My excitement was very deep and caring. I wanted to know that she was happy and enjoying her life.
She had married and this was my first time meeting her husband.

Another thing I noticed was the disheveled look of the yards. None of the properties looked cared for or finished. Old cars were parked here and there in front yards, siding on some homes were falling off. Grass of lawns were uncut. It was as if no one cared for their homes.

Then I found my sisters home. It was small, an old house, but there was an attempt at beautifying the yard. Around the border of the yard were flower beds with an array of blooms. Weeds were poking their heads amongst the blooms. It still looked better than many of the other yards. Almost like a breath of fresh air, in a stagnant room.

I pulled up in front of the property. The door opened and out tumbled four children in varying ages and my sister, with a huge smile lighting up her face.

After the quiet of my car for the past nine hours, it was like opening a door to absolute pandimonium. The noise was deafening as all four children started talking at once, vying for this Aunties attention. My sister came forward, giving me a huge hug.

I was taken aback at how much weight she had gained. She was well over 200 pounds, I'm sure. She had bags under her eyes, her hair was uncombed, and there were smears of cooking leftovers here and there on her clothing.

All in all, I was just incredibly happy to see her. We laughed amongst the chitter chatter of all the children. Each child bringing something for Aunty to see, a treasure that they had created. I was happy to be here, to help where I could and to renew a much missed relationship with my sister.

Karen had arranged with the owner of the 4-plex, a suite for me to rent. So after some time of chatting we decided to go over so she could introduce me to the landlord.

The 4-plex was an old building, but it was clean. There were two bedrooms in the suite and a large kitchen and tiny livingroom, but it suited my needs just fine. After talking to the landlord and his wife, paying my deposit and months rent, Karen asked if I would like to stay the night at their place and I could get a fresh start on moving my things in tomorrow. I was very thankful as the trip had been long.

Dinner was loud and fun. Children hamming it up for Aunty, lots of talks and laughter. Just a very enjoyable time, I loved it.

Time passes, I have moved into the 4-plex. I have a settled feeling.

I notice that my sister isn't as happy as she trys to portray. As I spend more time with her, it becomes obvious that she is depressed. Her husband also seems to be. In fact everywhere I go in this little town, people seem to be very down, but fighting hard not to be.

There is much talk about each other. People talking about how bad this person or that person is; whats going on in their life.

Its like everyone is jealous of the other. That each is afraid of something. I try to put a name on what is going on but can't.

In time I started to feel this same paranoia. I had been living in the little town for about a year and a half at this point. I was feeling a stronger and stronger pressure of this unknown force that was seeping over me.

At that point, it became evident to me that something was very wrong here. I had to get out.
I was becoming more and more unhappy and being drawn into this viscious web of discontent. This is something very unusual for me, as I am the eternal optimist.

I told my sister that I had decide to move back where I had come from. I could see the emotion on her face. She was very torn, part of her didn't want me to but another part wanted me to leave.

I hugged her that morning, after having packed everything up. In my mind, I was never coming back, and I was very emotional having to leave my much loved sister here.

I said goodbye, got into my car. I drove away with tears streaming down my face. God it was a horrible feeling. It was like giving up, being defeated. I was so torn. A part of me wanted to stay. A stronger part, that part at the core of you- called survival- insisted that I leave. Run! Get as far away as I could!
.........................................................................................................................

continuation of this story....the second part..............

For 6 years I phoned my sister as often as possible. I was very worried about her. She and her family were left in that town.
For myself, as soon as my emotions were under control and I was on the highway back to the city, I started to feel this intense feeling of relief coming in waves over me.
I would catch myself sighing, shuttering and sighing again. I was only beginning to understand just how much this small town had caught me in its web of darkness.

© Copyright 2006 Nighteyes (ldydawn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1073084-Battling-The-Darkness