*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076226-The-Cinder-File-Chapter-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1076226
Angela Rathman has come across a mystery. An envelope that will change her life.
The Cinder File
Chap. 1

What kind of friend would you prefer?
A. Happy
B. Serious
C. Hyper
D. Smart
B. Serious

What's your favorite subject?
A. History
B. Science
C. Math
D. English

These were just two of the questions from the Career Aptitude Test (CAT) and my answers. My name is Angela Rathman. My best friend Chelsea, "Che," calls me "Angel."
Last week we had to take the CAT. We got them back today. It said Che is supposed to be a journalist and I am supposed to be a lawyer.
There was information about lawyers in the packet I got. It also had a list of some good law schools.
The package also contained a mysterious envelope; an envelope I am only supposed to open until after my senior graduation which is in one week; an envelope I am only supposed to open if I want to pursue a career in law; an envelope as I would soon find out would change my life forever. I was very curious.
Che, however, thought nothing of it.
"Chill out, Ang," she said as I gave her a weird look, "--- okay, I'm trying out new nicknames."
"Why shouldn't I be worried," I practically screamed at her, "no one else got an envelope!"
Looking hurt, she stopped at her house, and walked up the driveway. I decided to call her later.
As I walked up my driveway I pondured about what I should tell my parents about the envelope; or whether I should tell them at all.
I grabbed an apple from the kitchen counter, but then remembered I had a dentist's appointment in half an hour, and wasn't supposed to eat anything.
So, to satisfy my hunger I grabbed an bottle of water and sat down to call Che.
9 rings... 10. Then her voice comes on, "Hi, this is Che. I'm not home right now. I'm probably out partying somewhere with friends. Please leave a message and I'll catch you later. Thanks!" BEEP
I sighed, told her to call me back, and hung up. I couldn't imagine where she could have gone to in the past 5 minutes. So, I decided to go next door to check on her.
Sure enough, when I rang the doorbell she came to the door.
"Hey, sorry about earlier. I'm just really worried about the envelope," I blurted out before she even had time to shut the door.
There were a few moments of silence where we stood and stared at each other waiting for and answer. Finally she leaned against the doorframe and sighed.
She paused, then finally said, "I guess so."
"Oh! Thank you! Thank you!" I wrapped her up in a huge bear hug until she couldn't breathe.
As I let go she started to fakely gag. We both cried from laughing. Inside my purse my planner started to vibrate.
"Oh, geez," I shrieked as I jumped three feet in the air, "I forgot about my dentist's appointment!"
Che glanced at her watch and said, "Relax, you have 20 minutes."
I stepped back and frowned, "Che, it takes me 15 minutes to get there."
Her mouth dropped open so far I thought it was gonna' hit the floor. "Well, go, go, GO!!"
I laughed as I ran to the car. It's just like Che to panic. Then my mind wandered back to the mysterious envelope. What was it's destiny; and what role did I have in it?
© Copyright 2006 Elphaba Thropp (elphaba at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076226-The-Cinder-File-Chapter-1