*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076346-After-the-death-of-the-husband
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #1076346
A husband's departed spirit appeared in front of his wife two weeks after his funeral
This story come from a little village in southwest of Bali, on the slope of the Mount of Batukaru. It is in the mid of year 2002.

Pan Wayan entering one of the food stall in the side of the only main road of the village.

“How are you?” asked Pan Wayan, an old man of 70 years, to Nengah Ari, who manages the stall.

“Fine,” answered Nengah Ari politely.

Pan Wayan starred at the young widow for a while.
“I think, you are not fine,” said Pan Wayan then that made Nengah Ari astonished.

“What do you mean that I’m not fine?”

Pan Wayan sipped his coffee that has been just served by Nengah Ari.

“Yesterday, you’re crying almost the whole day and did not take attention to your frying peanuts. They burnt and … where did you put them? To the drawer!”

Nengah Ari was more astonished. Nobody knew what happened yesterday with her.
“How did you know that?”

“Well, your husband has told me last night in my sleep…”

The eyes of Nengah Ari were widened.
“My husband?”
Pan Wayan nodded. Nengah Ari dropped.

Her husband passed away two weeks ago by an accident. But now, that her late husband talked to an alive man, it’s only has one meaning: he has to complete an unfinished earth task. This is the Balinese belief.

While thinking this, Nengah Ari heard Pan Wayan asked.
“Did you see a black bird yesterday?”

Nengah Ari didn’t answer immediately. She just looked at Pan Wayan while trying to remember.
Finally,
“Yes … I thought, I saw a black bird on the cigarettes rack. Was that my …”

“Yes, that’s your husband. Actually, he already made completion of his tasks on earth when he died. So, his appearance now is related more to his special gift given by the Almighty. He is the only less people who has the transformation ability. He takes his gift as a chance to see you and the children and giving you help if needed …”

Her husband died young, 36 years old. He left three kids who their journey to their future is still long and unclear. Nengah Ari worried about the cost of living, which she then talked this to the black bird in its next appearance.

“You had talked to your husband last night? Don’t worry about what you’re thinking on your mind, he'd said. You’re kind and generosity. God loves you and willing to give you favor through your husband…” said Pan Wayan as the mediator.

And what favor is it?

Nengah Ari’s food stall never quiet from buyers, even the food she sells is not special. Everyday since the fourth and the last appearance of the black bird, Nengah Ari has to open the stall at five o’clock in the morning because the buyers are already queue up outside, and close at 10 o’clock in the night to let villagers happily sitting and drinking and hang out in her cozy and friendly stall…

© Copyright 2006 Waterlily (lita_jg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076346-After-the-death-of-the-husband