*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076632-Twilight-Shadows
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1076632
Twi finds that all you need to get rid of all the darkness is a little bit of light.
Twi was running- it was all he could do. In the deep, dark pit that was now his life, hope was nonexistent. Pointless. A long-forgotten dream. He had no destination- he could never escape them. The Dark Ones.
He couldn't ask for help. Everyone else was gone. The Dark Ones had taken them all. He was the last one.
The Dark ones weren't aliens or animals, but they weren't human either. In fact, they came from the humans. More specifically, from the humans' thoughts. From their bad thoughts. Whenever someone wanted to lie, cheat, steal, or do any number of wicked things, a Dark One appeared. The Dark Ones had no goal but total destruction, and they had the powers to achieve it. Whanever someone got near a Dark One, the darkness within them was attracted to the Dark One. The darkness within them would pull towards the Dark One, fighting against the person's body until finally it broke free and left, taking the person's life with it.
At first nobody knew about the tiny balls of darkness flying around and destroying everything that came near them. Perhaps they didn't want to. But ignorance... is not bliss. Ignorance- is death. How can you fight something you don't know exists? So, they were all gone.
Twi raced across the uneven ground,trying to escape what he knew would be his fate. His lungs were burning, but he didn't care. Suddenly, he tripped and gashed his leg on a rock. An excruciating pain pain pulsed through him and the ground around him turned red with blood. Twi knew that he could run no more. As Twi looked up, he cried out in despair. The sun was going down! He wouldn't be able to see them! He had about ten minutes- to live.
After a minute, he stood up and looked back. They were coming. There was a solid line of Dark Ones on the horizon. He turned his back on them and cried. He cried for his mom. He cried for his dad. He cried for everyone else, then, he cried for himself.
A thunderous crack interrupted his sorrow. He turned back and looked. The Dark Ones were slowly disappearing, one by one. The darkness just sort of dispersed and flew off in every direction. Suddenly, something caught his eye. There, over towards the right! That Dark One wasn't disappearing! If anything... it was getting bigger! It was gathering the darkness. Within a few seconds, it was monstrous, andapproaching fast.As it advanced towards him, Twi had a thought. If bad thoughts made the Dark Ones, he thought, then why not... Twi attempted to grin, but it came out a grimace.
So Twi thought. He wished. Most of all, he hoped. A tiny bit of light appeared inside him, but it grew quickly. When the ball of light was fighting to get out and the Dark One was as close as he could let it get, Twi released it. A ball of light, bigger than the Dark One, flew out of him. It was so bright that he was blinded for a minute.
When he could see again, the Dark One was gone. The Light lingered, but Twi could see that it was almost gone. As the light disappeared, Twi fainted, to lay undisturbed until he was prodded awake by a figure made of light.


© Copyright 2006 S Fantasymaster (sirsama at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076632-Twilight-Shadows