*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076657-Drugs-and-Philosophy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Philosophy · #1076657
This basically in a way my own modern "Thanatopsis" by William Cullen Bryant
At the present time I'm unemployed, going to high school, and spending every dime I never earned on my insatiable habit of marijuana. I really don't have much to offer unless trivia and good book reviews qualify. Most of my time is spent high or thinking and waiting till' the next time I light up a joint.
When asked "What contributions I will give to the America of Tomorrow?" I tell them about how my brother taught me how to make a good home brew with just some Kool-Aid and yeast. I would then come up a catchy phrase like "A drunk America is a damn good party". It won't be the response their looking for no doubt or even relevant to the question ,but hell being drunk off your own home brew is a huge accomplishment in my eyes. Having a Bud would never be the same.
Turning sixteen wasn't anything to march through the streets of my small town about and me now being on the verge of turning seventeen gives me a feeling of a wasted year. Nothing will be altered when I wake on the Twenty-first of May to still find all gods dead and all hope in humanity an imbroglio beyond emending.
I take drugs and shy from reality only because this cultural life isn't worth living. Emerson and Thoreau make my bones shake with excitement in anticipation of my flight from society. Such men can only be praised for what great works they've done, but they didn't fully commit themselves to nature. I challenge them and myself to wander into the bliss of the divine wilderness never to step foot on concrete civilized ground again.
Siddhartha knows what I speak of. He knows that oneness with the cycle of life and how nature sings the holy Om in thousands of voices at once.
I am the blasphemer. I denounce all religions. I am only a cycle and I can only in the end "be brother to the insensible rock".
© Copyright 2006 Ishmael (ishmael at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1076657-Drugs-and-Philosophy