*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1077394-The-most-overrated-Olympian-of-all-time
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #1077394
Bode Miller and his performance in the olympics.
How about Bode Miller. You know what we should give Bode Miller a big resounding boooooooo! Bode Miller was so hyped and so revered in our eyes as the best skier and best Olympic athlete in Torino 2006. Bode Miller in my eyes was the best and I thought if he doesn't medal in every event then something is really messed up. On Bode Miller's last event I just hoped he would finish the event. Bode went from #1 Olympian to an absolute don't give a damn athlete. Bode Miller on Night #1 walked in and was prepared absolutly none as he partied in Torino. Then the next day he ran 5th in the Downhill which was his best finish and the prelude to the rest of the Olympics. He then in the same event he Silvered in in Salt Lake City he DQ'd himself after clamming into the pole in the Slalom part of the Combined and so begins Bode's fall. In the Super-G Bode Miller walked out there and DNF'd this time and by now all hope in Bode had been relinquished. In the G-Slalom he raced ok but still a bad performance as he took 6th place. In his 5th and final event Bode had one last chance to rid his terrible Olympics. The last event was the Slalom and before you could count to 6,before you had a chance to watch him he DNF'd just missing a pole that I could have slalomed. And so the great Bode Miller who I thought would be a Michael Phelps kind of athlete turned into a Gino Toretta(Yes it was that bad). A man with so much promise just didn't care. It wasn't that he was sick or dealing with a troubling event in his life like a death or divorce but that he just didn't care. I didn't matter how much Americans wanted him to win he just didn't care. The problem is that Bode did give us some foreshadowing. On 60 minutes it all started as Bode Miller talked about how hard it was to ski wasted. Ski wasted. No one who cares about doing something great in their sport gets wasted before a skiing event and being wasted during a ski event. Could you imagine if Mario Lemieux or Michael Jordan came to a Hockey or Basketball game wasted. Obviously that would show us that they didn't care but for some odd reason we didn't see that when Bode spoke. We were nieve for whatever reason to what would really happen in the Olympics. Bode not caring is really un-american but then again don't we preach that. Don't parents and other adults tell kids,"just go out there and have some fun". That after all is what Bode did,he just went out there and had some fun. As americans we have to realize that if we criticize Bode Miller then we can never tell our kids to go out there and have some fun. Should Bode Miller have tried harder yes but,if we turn our heads in disgust about how Bode Miller skied then you should always tell your kids to win.
© Copyright 2006 TJ Schulte (sportdude58 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1077394-The-most-overrated-Olympian-of-all-time