*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078109-Why-write
Rated: E · Other · Career · #1078109
An article on why I'd like a writing career & what moves people to write.
A friend once told me the only reason we are alive is to exist, nothing more. We are here, we live to produce more life and then we die. With this in mind, it is important to get the most out of our time here on earth. I'm not a religious person and I don't believe in an existence after death; it is important to make your own mark on the world and only then will you carry on.
Some people choose to teach younger generations; others build structures, paint pictures, create sculptures, arrange plays or help those less fortunate. In the event of their death, these people will be remembered for the things they did in life and their achievements will continue long after they are gone. It is comforting in many ways to know that a part of you will have contributed to a small part of the human race.
Equally, it is comforting to know you are using your natural talents. I, like many people, felt I didn't have one; I couldn't play my guitar very well when I tried learning at school. I am hopeless at sports; my singing voice is atrocious; my artwork deemed awful. But I have always been rather opinionated. And I have always had a way with words. However, even with this realisation, there is always the knowledge that I may not actually be good enough. This is where you, dear reader, come in. Let me know whether I have what it takes to be successful in the literary world or whether I am doomed to 9 to 5 monotony for the rest of my days. Be assured, dear reader, that I will return the favour and give an honest assesment of your work. Let me know why you were moved to write and what you think makes a good piece of literature. Together we may find the inspiration and support that we need.
© Copyright 2006 Mellington Boots (mellington at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078109-Why-write