*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078442-Just-a-Drive
Rated: E · Short Story · Travel · #1078442
This is a dream that I once had and I decided that it would be best to write it down.
It was just another drive. She was used to these. Everyday seemed to contain one. She was picked up and buckled into this strange yet protective seat her mother, her protector, called a car seat. She lived alone with her mother and her puppy, Lily. She lived in a small apartment just off of the Garden State Parkway. The family had lived there forever or at least it seemed that way.

Rose is this girl's name. Her mother's: Jane. Once again, Rose was picked up and placed in this car seat and buckled up. Her dog was merely placed next to her. The door slammed on the two of them as Jane walked towards the driver's door. Suddenly, she stopped; thinking. Rose didn't know of what so she simply placed her head on the side of the car seat and closed her left eye. Lily lay down on the floor of the car and closed her left eye as well. Rose perked her head up and looked deep into Lily's big brown eyes. Was the dog trying to tell her something? She would never know. In the middle of Rose's pondering, Jane open the car door and flung herself into the car breathing heavily; her heart pounding. Rose put her head back down and closed her eyes tight. She didn't want to know where her mother was going to take her.

The car sped out of the parking lot and onto the highway. Jane continued slowly down the street passing Burger King, Acme, and Wendy's. The next store was the one Jane pulled into. Rose held her breath, praying that her mother would turn right around and realize that this wouldn't do her any good. Instead, Jane parked the car and pulled out the key and opened her door.
"Stay right here and don't let anyone in," warned Jane.
Rose's eyes stung with tears but she nodded her head yes. She couldn't muster up enough courage to say no to her mother. Now the only thing she could think of was how she was going to regret this. Jane shut the door softly and locked it. Looking around, she crossed the street and ran into the liquor store. Did she look around for safety of was it because she didn't want anyone to see her going into the store?

Minutes later, Jane came back to the car holding a 12-pack of Guinness beer in her hands. She placed the box on the ground outside then opened the door closest to Rose. Jane picked up the box and placed it next to Rose's feet. Jane looked at Rose and closed the door.

During the ride home, Rose felt the box of beer pressing against her thin, fragile legs and felt safe and happy. Was this good? Did this mean that Rose would end up an alcoholic like her mother? Rose didn't want to know and prayed that she was wrong.
© Copyright 2006 Jalisa Swartslen (hopelessauthor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078442-Just-a-Drive