*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078942-Chapter-1-The-Untrained-Eye
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1078942
Teyen was content with her life, but now she must face her destiny!
Chapter I: The Untrained Eye


A storm like nothing Teyen had ever seen raged outside. The past few days the weather had grown more unpleasant and the Rose Blossom had filled up quickly. Few rooms were available in the city these days, most vacancies a result of someone’s untimely death, which is to say several rooms opened up daily. Korvaden had always been a dangerous place, though recently it had become even more lawless than usual.

“Where’sh ma mead?” the gruff, middle-aged traveler screamed needlessly at Teyen, as if she wasn’t standing directly beside him, his voice booming over the busy din of the crowd. Nevermind the fact that he hadn’t even asked for another drink, he was drunk already and certainly not in need of another pint. Perhaps the local tavern’s serving girls in his hometown were also Telepaths. He was a paying customer, though, and she would have to oblige him... Eventually.

“You’ll get your drink when you ask me nicely, Petay.” She couldn’t help but be a tad feisty with the patrons of The Rose Blossom, for she was redheaded and witty to match. Her pretty face and large, green eyes had often won her smiles and favors from guests, just as much as her slender figure had caused her to be groped and prodded. She was an attractive woman and she had always flaunted that fact to get anything she wanted. It was too easy to do in a world dominated by men. It helped to give her the upper hand in the game she so enjoyed to play. The Rose Blossom was the perfect place for her; she was able to flaunt her beauty without giving up her dignity. For over three years she had worked there, the most reputable inn to be found in a city of ill repute.

“I did ashk ye nicely, girl! Now get ma mead!” She had every intention of doing as he asked, but it would be too easy to simply acquiesce. To her, it was all part of the game and she enjoyed playing it night after night. Drunkards, sailors and worn out adventurers were all fair game to her. Most of them played along, though some, like this man known as Petay the Knife, were so high on themselves that they couldn’t even so much as flirt with a girl trying to have some fun. Not that the ugly bastard son of a goat would be much for flirting with…

“Fine. You’ll get your drink, Petay. Maybe I’ll throw in some Warlock’s Weed along with it.” That line brought a laugh from the rest of the table, but a violent glare from The Knife. Warlock’s Weed, known mostly just to cutthroats and assassins, was an odorless plant and just a pinch of it ground up could kill a large man easily. Spending a lifetime in a foul city like Korvaden came with its share of knowledge.

His reaction made Teyen realize that her first impression of Petay was all too true. He was as humorless as he was ugly. Picking up empty tankards from tables while dodging grasping hands and avoiding eager stares, Teyen headed for the kitchen to get the fool a drink. She resolved to take a break once she was out of sight. It had been the same way with too many patrons these past few days. Was all of Korvaden in a bad humor?

As the swinging door to the kitchen closed behind her, she sighed and looked down at Ripa, the cook and owner of The Rose Blossom. Ripa was rather short and rotund, sometimes mistaken for a Dwarf, although not as stocky and without the beard. Her hair was tied up as usual when working in the kitchen, but a single golden lock flowed out from beneath her cap. She was a pretty woman, even her round face comforting and wise. Teyen’s sigh did not escape her notice. Not much that happened in her kitchen did.

“Don’t let them get you down girl. It’s just this nasty weather we’ve been havin’ that has them all afoul. Another day or two and you’ll be back to playin’ your game again.” The raucous from inside the tavern seemed noisier tonight than usual. Ripa had been a serving wench for nearly twenty years before her husband had died, leaving the place to her. She knew The Rose Blossom as if she had placed every board and planned every minute of its existence herself. The woman was simply amazing.

“I know, Ripa. It’s just that I can’t cope with these arrogant fools we’ve been seeing in here lately. They think the world is beneath them and their heads are far thicker than their wit. It drives me mad, them not even smiling after getting a few drinks into them. They’re still just as foul tempered as when they walked in. Fools, all of them.” It wasn’t exactly true, she knew. There had been a couple of smiles given to her tonight. One of them toothless and the other accompanied by a hand up her skirt. The former offender still hadn’t recovered after the tankard of ale she had just brought to him was shattered over the top his head. Teyen may have been a tavern wench, but she was most certainly not a whore for rent.

“You remind me a lot of myself in my younger days, girl.” The innkeeper stopped for a moment to walk over and take Teyen’s hand in hers. “So full of fire and spirit. I don’t know how I can keep you wasting away in this old tavern. You’re destined for a lot more than this. Someday I hope you’ll find your way out. I never did.” Ripa had often spoken words like that, though Teyen knew she would never do anything else. Destiny or not. Korvaden was her home and The Rose Blossom her rightful place in it. Most of the patrons she knew by name if they’d been in more than once and some of the regulars she’d even dare to call friends.

She looked into Ripa’s exotic eyes, nearly seeing her own reflected in them. The woman was the closest thing she’d had to a mother since her own died shortly after she’d begun working at the Rose Blossom. Had the older woman’s cheeks not been so full, perhaps they even would have looked somewhat alike. The striking difference between them was Teyen’s fiery red hair, curvy and flowing over her shoulders.

“I doubt that. I’ve only ever been outside the city once. This is all I know. Probably all I ever will know.” She quickly readied a few more pints of mead for Petay the Foul Tempered and his friends and made her way back into the tavern. As she made her way toward the table, she scanned the room for any new customers. The only newcomers were a few usually cheerful regulars, with frowns on their faces. Perhaps Ripa was right. Maybe it was just the past week of constant rainfall that had everyone out of sorts.

Teyen stopped short just before she reached Petay’s table. Something out of the corner of her eye had caught her attention. She looked to the corner table, where she could swear she had seen someone sitting, but not a soul was there. Of course, only a fool would sit in the darkest, coldest corner of the Inn when it was so cold and dark outside.

Shaking her head and cursing herself for going delirious, Teyen set down the pints of mead in front of Petay, saying nothing. Surprisingly, the witless man had nothing to say, either. In fact, the entire table had silenced as she approached. Something was afoot, and Teyen didn’t like it at all. Of course, groups of men like this often planned their misdeeds in common rooms of other inns, but the Rose Blossom was rarely one of them.

“Don’t you be causing trouble in here, ‘Petay the Knife’” the name was said with more than a hint of mockery, “I know your reputation and it won’t spread to The Rose Blossom tonight.” Her warning was met with a sidelong glance from the unattractive fellow. A very malicious glance. The man had never frightened her before. Until now.

“Mind yar own business, Wench, and I’ll mind mine.” The warning was plain enough. Teyen backed away, content not to serve the vile man ever again.

Turning around to head back into the kitchen to regain her composure, she saw the figure again, sitting in the back, where the light was scarce. Although it was once more only from the corner of her eye, this time she was certain she could see him sitting there. Teyen did her best not to seem startled.

Looking to where she knew him to be, it seemed the man simply faded away, like a figment of her imagination. A glance in another direction proved her instinct was right. He appeared again when not seen straight on. This night, it seemed, just kept getting stranger and would be one that she would remember for quite some time.

Setting the tankards on an empty table, Teyen steeled herself and slowly approached the man who was there but wasn’t. Her breath caught in her throat. Her heart felt as if it would pound its way out of her chest. As she stared directly where she knew the man to be, suddenly she saw his shape take form, as if out of a mist, as he pulled back the hood of his cloak. Trying her best not to show how frightened she was, Teyen continued her approach as the man’s face was revealed. Her surprise turned to something much different as the most handsome face she had ever had the pleasure to see was revealed.

The man had dark hair, cut long and wavy. His face had apparently not been shaved for several days, giving his features a rough look. His lips were full and his nose long, but not out of proportion with his strong jaw. Most astounding of all, however, were his bright, intense eyes, blue as the autumn sky. Teyen wondered if she could ever pull her gaze from them.

She knew she should speak. She should be a good tavern wench and ask the man if he would like something to drink. She should flirt with him. She should stop staring like a basilisk. Before, her breath had been caught in her throat for a reason akin to fear. Now it was for an entirely different reason. For the first time in her life, Teyen was in awe of a man.

She was welcomed with a kind gesture of the man’s hand, waving to the seat next to him. The look in his eyes was gentle, yet cautious. She was very familiar with the cautious kind in Korvaden, not so much the gentle.

“I’m not sure how you did it, but you saw me… Now sit down. We must talk.” The man’s voice was not rough like Teyen had expected. Rather, it was soft and melodic, though with an air of authority and a sharp edge to his words, like urgency. A stark contrast to his haggard appearance, Teyen thought. She found herself doing as he requested, unsure of exactly why. He still frightened her, in an odd sort of way.

Pulling his chair close to hers and leaning in so he could whisper, the man spoke again, this time the edge seemed to be gone, but his words still sang like truth from his lips. He was used to being listened to and obeyed. “Since you’ve seen me, I suppose you’ll have a few questions. Questions I am unwilling to answer. Questions I don’t have time to answer. But from you, I need an answer. You saw me. I’m curious to know how. You may have put me in great danger.”

Teyen somehow found the will to speak. Perhaps it was the commanding tone of what he had said, or perhaps it was the sweet harmony of his voice. “I saw you out of the corner of my eye. The first time, I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but then it happened again… I knew then that I was not mistaken in what I’d seen.”

For an anxious moment the cloaked man said nothing, he simply gazed into her eyes. He nodded. “You have the look about you. You are Untrained, but you are observant. Some other time, perhaps I would be willing to take you to Qastellain. But now…”

His words cut off as a sharp look crossed his face. At first Teyen thought he was looking at her, then she realized that he was looking past her. In her childish daze she hadn’t noticed the din of voices in the tavern growing quiet. That was rarely a good sign. She couldn’t remember the last time she had heard silence in such a crowded common room so late at night.

Her heartbeat pounded in her ears as the sound of a solitary set of footsteps broke the silence. The door to the kitchen swung open as Ripa peered through, obviously not overlooking the sudden silence. Her gasp was enough to make Teyen turn her head to peer behind her, unsure of what madness could startle the woman.

A figure was walking toward her, garbed in ferocious looking black armor that glimmered with an odd sort of dark light. Locks of wavy hair, darker than the armor and nearly as dark as a moonless midnight, plumed from behind a diabolical looking helm. A spiked facial guard was most prominent, with some sort of markings all over the sides of the helm that seemed brighter and darker than it at the same time. Teyen had never seen anything like it. The figure was lithe and moved like a snake: quick, yet methodical. From each fingertip protruded a long razor-like blade that seemed almost a part of the creature; too grotesque to be human.

Then Teyen felt it. A sweet, sickly feeling, like being cold and hot, tired and exuberant all at once. Most of all, however, she was afraid. It wasn’t the same type of fear she had felt before. This was deeply, hauntingly afraid. Now she understood the silence that echoed through the Rose Blossom. Even Petay the Knife simply sat with his head down, unwilling to look up at the mysterious figure stalking across the floor. Only the man sitting across from Teyen seemed not afraid as he spoke.

“I am going to die now.” The words were so matter-of-fact that they shocked Teyen even more than the sense of dread that emanated from the approaching figure.

“What do you mean?” Teyen knew it was a stupid question. Even she felt like death itself was stalking her.

“The Gnarg comes for me. She has found me. I did have a chance to live until you saw me; at least then I was hidden. Now…” The man’s words stung like a sword through Teyen’s heart. She fought the urge to scream and tried to think. There had to be a way. She knew somehow that this thing, this… Gnarg… would not make killing quick or painless. She knew The Rose Blossom almost as well as Ripa did, knew even of its secrets. If they could only make it to the cellar door, there might be a chance for escape.

“This way!” Teyen grasped the man’s hand and dashed for the kitchen, hoping Ripa would understand and move out of the doorway. The cloaked man seemed startled at first, then followed her, his eyes never looking away from the Gnarg.

It lurched at them, a movement so quick and so sudden that Teyen almost tripped in her surprise. The man barely dodged the lunge of the creature, which crashed into a table, the blades of one hand easily slicing an innocent drunkard into several bloody pieces.

Perhaps it was the sight of blood. Perhaps it was the escalating fright finally reaching a crescendo. Perhaps it was the creature losing some of its dreadful aura. Perhaps it was even a blessing from the gods that caused the fear-stricken common room to break out into panicked chaos, but whatever the cause, Teyen was thankful. In the moment that it took the Gnarg to recover, Teyen and the man behind her were able to flee into the kitchen and if the gods did have mercy, the confusion of the common room would give them a little more time to escape.

A look showed her that the man’s face was set in stark determination as he followed her, obviously intent on one of two things: escape or death. This stranger was placing his trust in her. She had given him the hope of being saved when he thought death was certain, and although he had seemed ready for it, she was unsure if she was worthy of such trust.

Fortunately, Ripa, who had disappeared back into the kitchens as soon as she had seen Teyen come running, already had the cellar door open. She was a good woman and she had aided many people in escaping the corruption of the city. Teyen was the only person who worked at the inn who knew. Too much knowledge being spread around could be dangerous. Such was one secret of The Rose Blossom.

As they made their way into the dark cellar, the door closed behind them and a clatter rang from the kitchen as they made their way down the stairs. Teyen knew Ripa would do her best to aid their flight. Regretfully, she wondered if she would ever see the plump innkeeper again.

Even in the darkness, Teyen knew where to find the hidden door. It was made of stone, like the walls of the cellar, but one stone hid the secret. She pushed it in and the door swung open. The two ran through the crude stone doorway as fast as they could, the man reacting with startling agility, turning to push the stone door closed again.

Just before the secret door banged shut, a spray of light lit the cellar as the door at the top of the stairs burst open. Teyen prayed that the creature had not seen them. The stone doorway was normally not visible from the stairway, but she had no idea what this creature was capable of.

Her first reaction was to turn and run down the tunnel leading out of the city, but the man held her wrist and put a finger to his lips. His face was a mask of calm as if this sort of thing was commonplace for him. Teyen wondered how she was to be quiet with her heart pounding so fiercely. She had run from men before, but they were dense and easy to outwit. This was something else. Something she didn’t know. Something she didn’t understand.

After waiting a few moments, the man let go of her, stood and began walking down the dark tunnel as coolly as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened. He motioned for her to follow him, a needless gesture since she could think of no other choice she had. She could not open the door out of fear the thing was there and she could not stay out of fear that it may come. Hastily, she stood and ran to the side of this man she did not even know, yet entrusted with her life. She supposed it was safe to do so, she had, after all, just saved his.

Without a glance, he held out his hand to her. Quickly, she grasped it in both of hers, welcoming a comforting touch in the cool darkness of the tunnel. This fear she wasn’t used to was making her act strangely. At least, she blamed it on the fear.

The two strangers, now bound by something she couldn’t quite understand, made their way out of the city and away from the horrible creature known as The Gnarg.



* * *


The night had been damp and cold as the rain fell around the mouth of the cave. The small fire that burned was barely enough to see by and gave off little heat. Teyen shivered from the cold, her clothing soaked through from their short flight through the woods after the tunnel had opened into forested foothills north of the city.

The Wicked Woods, she thought dreadfully.

The cave that the stranger had chosen to make camp in had only a narrow opening – one she easily might have missed had she been alone – and at the rear of the cave was a small alcove on the right side. It was an ideal shelter, or so he had said.

From what little conversation had come become between them, Teyen still had no idea who he really was, only that his name was Hayden and he was the most handsome and mysterious man she had ever met. She had saved his life when he had resigned to die and, in return, he had saved hers. Of course, he had made a reference to her having put him in danger in the first place, so she had felt somewhat responsible. Besides, he was so gorgeous that she could hardly have let him die. Since fleeing from the Gnarg, she had also realized that there was much more to him than there seemed to be.

For hours after Hayden had found the cave, they had sat in silence, hoping beyond hope that the Gnarg would not find them. Teyen was completely out of her element outside of the city. The world beyond Korvaden’s walls was unknown to her and she prayed that Hayden knew enough of it to save them now. He had spoken only a few words before setting a fire when he thought it safe enough to do so. A short, whispered conversation later she had fallen asleep from exhaustion, her head falling easily upon his shoulder.

The following morning he had awakened her with his soft voice calling her name. For a moment she had thought she was in a dream, a wonderful dream, to open her eyes and see that face. Then, she remembered the Gnarg, the fright she had felt the night before and the fact that her life had nearly been ended only moments after meeting him. He had awakened her only to let her know that he had to leave to scout the area around their shelter and search for any traces that the Gnarg had caught their trail. Silently, he swept out of the cave and was gone.

Some time later, it started to occur to her how long he had really been away. Alone with her thoughts and the beat of the rain from outside the cave, Teyen was tempted to go out and look for him as a thousand fearsome questions forced their way into her mind. What if that thing had found him? What if he had gotten lost in the woods? What if he had abandoned her after all?

Shrugging off her uncertainty and solidifying her resolve, Teyen slowly stood. If something had happened to Hayden, then she had to know. Without knowing how she could begin to find him in the wilderness, she decided that she had to try. One deliberate step after another, she drew closer to the exit of the cave, closer to the Wicked Woods, the pounding of the rain growing louder with every moment, echoing through her head and drowning out her thoughts.

The warmth of the fire faded as she came to stand in the narrow, rocky slit that marked the mouth of the cave. The light of day was faint and the cold dampness of the rain bit into her. The forest outside was foreboding as she stood there, looking out into an unknown world. To imagine this wilderness just beyond the walls of the city she had called home her entire life was daunting. To imagine herself lost in that wilderness was paralyzing. Nevertheless, she took another step and made her way outside the cave.

Rain quickly soaked through her dress, fit for serving as a barmaid, not for venturing into the great outdoors. It was all she could do to put one foot in front of the other, the slick mud at the mouth of the cave made her footing difficult. Branches threatened to reach out and strangle her, whipping at her in the wind like thousands of groping hands.

After a few moments of fighting her way through the dark forest, Teyen cursed her brashness. She decided that it would be wiser just to wait for Hayden’s return. He had said he would be back. She had to trust that he would. He had to come back. And if she wasn’t there when he did…

She had to be there.

She turned, expecting to see the entry to the cave right behind her, but it had been lost from sight. She knew she couldn’t have gone far in the few moments since she stepped out of the cave. It should have been right there! Right behind her! She couldn’t have gone that far. She had to get back.

She turned and ran, falling to the mud-soaked ground before taking a second step. She looked all around her. The cave was completely lost from sight. Maybe it was the thick woodland that hid it from her. Maybe it was just the rain, or the shadows. Or maybe she was lost in the Wicked Woods; truly lost!

Teyen let out a silent scream, too weak and too panicked to make any significant noise. She was wet, muddy and frightened. She wanted to end all of this and go back to the Rose Blossom. She wanted to go home. But mostly, she wanted her dark stranger to return and take her into his arms and tell her it was all going to be ok.

She half laughed, half cried at her demeanor. The panic drifted away from her. She remembered how cool and calm Hayden was even in the face of death. That thought gave her strength. Resolving to find her way back to the cave, to wait a while longer for his return, Teyen stood and glanced around her. The cave was nowhere to be seen. She should have remembered how well protected it had appeared from the outside. She had not even seen it the night before until they were nearly inside.

For a moment, she closed her eyes to gather her thoughts. She could see it clearly in her head! Turning slightly to her right, she opened them again to gaze upon a familiar grouping of trees. She knew the cave was there. She thought she could even see it, dimly, though she knew that was impossible. She had gone farther than she had first thought, too far to be able to see the cave while the rain still misted her vision.

Somehow, she thought she could see the vague outline of the rocky overhang that marked the entrance. She wanted to be completely certain before she got herself even more lost, though. She looked harder, deeper, trying to see through the rain in the too-dim light.

It was useless. She wasn’t even sure it was the cave anymore. Giving up her vain effort to gain certainty, Teyen lowered her eyes to the ground to see if she could identify any trace of where she had walked not long before, but the downpour was too heavy. All traces of footsteps were gone as soon as they were left behind.

Deciding to take the chance of getting herself truly lost, Teyen closed her eyes to say a quick prayer to whatever god would listen. “Let me be right about this, please,” she whispered, “let this be the right way, if you have any mercy at all.”

When she opened her eyes, Teyen almost cried. The cave was there! It was clearly in view now, in the exact spot where she thought it was. The rain still poured just as hard and the light was still just as dim, but the cave was clear for her to see.

Not understanding what had just happened, but definitely glad that it did, Teyen carefully made her way back into the cave, hoping to find Hayden there waiting for her. She imagined the joy he would have at hearing her story of how she saw the cave. He seemed to be impressed by the fact that she had seen him the night before, now this would surely intrigue him.

Her joy at finding the cave dissipated as she made her way back to it. The strange man who had saved her life, whose life she had saved, was still not there. Neither was there was any sign of his having returned and left again. The fire was completely out and all else was just as it had been when she had left to venture into the Wicked Woods.

She was still alone.

Crawling into the corner, Teyen laid down, curling up against the cold. Outside the rain was turning to hail, pounding the ground, and the wind howled more fiercely than ever. It seemed the gods had guided her back just in time.

Knowing that she was just a city girl and could do nothing to help herself as long as it stormed, Teyen knew that there was little to do now but sit and wait. Hayden would return. Her dark, handsome stranger would come back to her and save her once more.

He had to.

The hail eventually faded back to a heavy rain and the rain slowly to a mist, but still there was no sign of Hayden. Had he abandoned her to her own fate? Or had that thing… the Gnarg… found him after all? Curling herself up inside the alcove, Teyen tried to shelter herself from the possibilities.

Her mind raced through the events of the previous night, wondering where it all went wrong. She yearned to be back inside the city’s walls and to be safe and sound in her cozy little bed, snuggled in her warm blankets and safe from this nightmare she now seemed to be living in.

Without the pounding of the rain still ringing inside her head she could hear the cacophony of the Wicked Woods. It was more than birdsongs, as she had once imagined the deep forest might be. It was whistling wind – at least she hoped that was the wind – and rustling leaves, eerie chirps of the gods-only-know-what and ear piercing screeches of things she hoped she’d never see. Worst of all was the cracking of the branches and snapping of twigs.

At first she had thought maybe Hayden was returning. Then another snap sounded farther away and she knew that it could not be him. He would be coming closer and she remembered how silently he had left the cave. She knew she would not know of his return until he stepped into the cave.

Teyen decided that she did not like the forest. Even with the rain having let up, it was still a dark and frightening place, with only a faint hint of light showing daytime through the mist. This was not at all like her beloved city of thieves and murderers. She almost laughed at the thought. Korvaden was a frightful city to most visitors, due to its well-deserved reputation, but Teyen had always lived there. She knew the city and the dangers that lurked around every corner. She knew how to survive there.

Stories of the Wicked Woods that grew outside the city walls had kept her from ever venturing into them. She wished now that she had at least peeked once or twice. Foolish girl, she told herself, sounding much like Ripa, letting a bunch of spook stories take over your good sense.

Teyen tried to collect herself the best she could. She would wait for Hayden without letting the Woods win over her sanity. At least the Wicked Wood was merely full of frightful sounds and not cutthroats and vagabonds. She told herself the sounds she heard were all in her head. Or just cute little critters. Like squirrels. Squirrels and rabbits.

Another snapping sound not far away. Teyen jumped at the sudden breaking of her peaceful thoughts. A branch or large twig, she guessed. She told herself once again it was just a rabbit. A rabbit or a fox. Nothing more.

Then she saw the shadow. She almost smiled at the return of her rescuer, then she realized that in the mist there was still very little sunlight. Not enough to cast such a dark shadow. A dark shadow that moved but was cast by nothing.

Fighting her want to scream, Teyen kept silent. Not even a gasp escaped her as the shadow, tall and black as midnight crept by. A fright took hold of her. A deep fright that seemed to grasp her, nearly paralyzing her. She remembered the sensation all too well.

The Gnarg had killed Hayden and now it came for her.

The shadow in the mist took form just as that thought crept through her mind. She could see the armor more clearly in the pale, misty light than she had in the firelights within the Rose Blossom the night before. It was not simply black as death, but hundreds – maybe thousands – of strange symbols were etched into it all darker and brighter than the armor on which it lay. They seemed familiar somehow, but she knew she had never seen them before the previous night.

The sinister glow around the Gnarg seemed to swallow the forest in its darkness. As it stopped and turned, Teyen tried not to make a sound, but she thought a gasp, maybe a whimper, escaped her. In her frenzied escape the night before she had really only caught a chaotic glimpse of the Gnarg. Now, she saw it in all of its horrific reality.

The armor, the helmet, the blades on the fingers all seemed to flow with the creature’s movements. A sudden realization struck her that the armor was an illusion. It was not armor it all. It was the flesh of the Gnarg, rough and metallic looking, that had only given her that impression the night before. Worst of all, was that now she could see it’s face as it turned to look at her. What she had thought before to be the facial guard of the helm was its mouth, with long, black teeth jutting out from its protruding lower jaw. A wide nose that sniffed at the air and thick, stiff strands of hair that jutted from its pitch-black head like spikes completed the illusion. Now, she saw something even more frightening. Its eyes.

The only thing about the Gnarg that was not black were those hollow eyes. They burned with a deep, red fire. A red so dark and so furious as to make the rest of the beast seem insignificant. It was those dreadful eyes that finally made her scream as the Gnarg charged; its arms extended and claws spread, ready to strike.

Teyen felt like she could not move. She was frozen in place as the gruesome creature lunged. Her eyes were frozen by the eyes of the Gnarg. Inside the hollow eyes of the Gnarg. It was as if she could see into them and what she saw was nothing. Emptiness darker than the creature itself. Perhaps the very taint of evil from which it drew its strength. It was all she could focus on. Even the thought of her death was fleeting against that emptiness.

The Gnarg stopped just as the strike should have sliced through Teyen. Something new swept through the wickedness within those eyes. Something much the same as the fear that bled from the creature itself. Teyen knew something was happening inside of her. She could feel some energy within herself.

It scared her more than the Gnarg.

Then, the creature, halted in mid strike, began to convulse. Time stood still as the creature seemed to melt away, blown into the air like dust. The wind howled eerily as the dark glow of the Gnarg faded and, at last, those hollow eyes faded away into the mist.

Teyen did not know what happened, only that she was beyond exhaustion. The threat of the Gnarg was gone, but somehow she knew that her life would never be the same. A new darkness was overcoming her and she couldn’t defeat this one. She vaguely heard her name spoken, maybe yelled, from somewhere nearby. Teyen slipped slowly into unconsciousness. She thought she felt someone catch her as she fell towards the ground and haunting images took over her vision.

A warm fire welcomed her as she regained consciousness. Teyen couldn’t help but let out a gasp after all that she had just been through. She hoped most of it was a dream. Hoped the Gnarg was just a nightmare. Prayed that her visions after the encounter with Gnarg was just her overactive imagination.

Seeing that she was still in the cave cleared her head quickly. Something was different now. She could see more than just a few feet in front of her. The rain and mist had stopped and sunlight shone brightly through the treetops and into the cave. There was still a noticeable chill in the air, but the fire kept most of it at bay. It took her a few moments to see what she had hoped most to see.

Hayden sat cross-legged at the back of the cave, his arms laid out in front of him, his hands held together as if in prayer. Teyen wondered if he was sleeping, then noticed his eyes were open. His voice drifted to her quietly. It seemed far more humble than she remembered it.

“Unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It was remarkable… I’m still not sure how it happened.” He paused, but Teyen said nothing, unsure if he was talking to her or the air. Hayden nodded. “I know it shouldn’t be possible, but I saw it with my own eyes, Revex. I’m fairly certain the girl has never been out of that damned city before and we have no presence there anyway. It is a lawless place.”

Teyen realized that he had not noticed yet that she was awake. She listened, intrigued by this conversation he was having with himself. As uncomfortable as it made her, Teyen knew it would be wrong to disturb Hayden. Almost as wrong as it was to be listening.

“I agree, Shonek. Teyen is more special than I ever could have guessed. At first I thought maybe she was just a natural Talent. Now… I think she is much more.” Another pause, this one much longer than the last.

“What exactly does Prophecy say, Antos?” Hayden’s whisper was almost inaudible this time. Another pause.

“Surely that can’t be about her? Do you actually think that all this time she’s been living in the city that every decent citizen tries to avoid? Could we have found her at last?” Teyen noticed the emphasis on her. Coming from this man, mixed with those other words he spoke, it made her feel truly important for the first time in her life.

Hayden nodded before he spoke again. “Then you should all be on guard until my return. Let no hallway and no corner be unlit. There is no telling how many more of the Hunters were unleashed this time. My advice would be to double the guard, or triple it. I will keep Teyen with me and we will make straight for Urgard. With haste and a little luck we can be there in three days. I’ll contact Antos again at that time.” Pause.

Teyen felt out of sorts eavesdropping as she was. The topic of conversation made her even more uncomfortable. She didn’t understand what was going on at all. She had hoped it was all over. She wanted to go home. Now, the glimmer of hope that she would be able to was fading. Part of her knew that even if she could go home now, her life would never be the same, anyway.

“I can’t say for sure, but I would guess that the red moon will birth again before we arrive, Revex. I have traveled far from home. For good reason it seems.”

She wished that she had second-guessed her decision to listen instead of waking Hayden from his trance. Although she had no idea of who he was talking to, or how, she felt somewhat violated having heard as much as she did. The idea of running was a fleeting, albeit satisfying, thought. Yet, She knew there was no way she could run from Hayden now. It was more than what he said, or even that he was so handsome. She felt safe around him, even hearing him speak to the air as if it was talking back. Even in this bleak wilderness.

“I understand, Antos. Not a soul will know who she is. Or what she is. I will forfeit my life for her safety if I must, though I think she made it clear she can defend herself.” There was only a short pause before he spoke again, this time his arrogance and confidence both shining through in his voice like a beacon, “She will make it to you, with or without me, Shonek. Of that, I guarantee you. I must go now, I believe Teyen is already awake.”

Teyen almost laughed as Hayden smirked at her. “Good to see you are safe and alert now, Teyen. I hope you enjoyed your rest. You won’t have much more of it for quite a while, which, I’m sure you’ve already guessed.” She should have known that she had heard nothing more than he had wanted her to. He was mysterious, almost too mysterious. But, that was one of the things that she had found attractive about him. If only she had guessed the night before how dangerous his company would be.

Her hopes of further explanation were dashed as Hayden stood and started to collect his things. “How long have you known I was listening?” she asked.

“Since the beginning. Since before you knew it yourself.” Not the answer she had hoped for, but at least she was gaining insight into the man called Hayden.

“I don’t understand any of it. What happened? What is happening?” She wasn’t leaving without at least getting some answers first, even though she feared what she might hear.

“As far as what happened… If you mean with the Gnarg, then I’m afraid you know more than I do. I’ve never seen a Gnarg slain before.” Although his voice still spoke with authority, there was a hint of something Teyen might have thought was awe if she didn’t know any better. She couldn’t imagine Hayden being in awe of anything.

“As far as what is happening with you… I will say what I can. You have a Gift, Teyen. I knew it when I first saw you.” He grinned, “or should I say, when you first saw me.” His eyes looked up into hers. His beautiful eyes, like perfect opposites to those of the Gnarg, so full of life, full of energy, full of spirit and so very pure. His blue eyes were a comfort to her. They showed her his strength, his dignity and his resolve. She needed the reassurance.

“You have a very strong Gift. But you are Untrained. Your Talent is raw, but fierce, and although you don’t understand it or how to use it, you have proved it is strong. Very strong. Yet, the fact that you can use it is extraordinary enough. An Untrained Eye shouldn’t be able to See, let alone to do what you did. You are special Teyen. You are very special.”

“Who were you talking to. How?” She had to have her questions answered. She knew he had promised to take her with him. He was smart enough to understand she would not go blindly. Even ‘untrained’ as she was.

“To my Brothers of the Council, at Qastellain. Together we represent the Five Magics. Antos, the Seer; Shonek, the Shaman and Revex, the Wizard serve on the council with me, Hayden, the Ranger.”

“You said Five Magics. But there are only four of you?”

“Elistaire was the greatest Healer that ever lived. Last week he was slain by a Gnarg.” Teyen was speechless. She wasn’t sure if there was anything she should say, especially after having just destroyed one of the creatures that was able to kill one of the most skilled magic users alive. “That same Gnarg almost killed me last night. You saved me from it and then, today, you have slain it. I don’t think I need to say anything more, do I?”

The thought of her encounter with the Gnarg brought back horrifying memories for Teyen. “I… I have never seen anything so frightful as those eyes.”

“Eyes?” Hayden seemed surprised.

“Yes, the Gnarg. Its eyes were so… hollow. So empty. So… Evil.”

“That’s impossible, Teyen.” He sounded like he was telling a child that pigs could not take flight.

“What is?”

“The Gnarg. Teyen, Gnargs have no eyes. At least if they do, none have ever lived to say they have seen them. I myself have stared in the face of more than one Gnarg and never have I seen any eyes.”

Teyen’s laugh was almost hysterical. “Perhaps, Hayden, it is you who has the Untrained Eye. I know what I saw. I will never be able to forget it.” Her only reply was a nod as Hayden picked up his bags, put out the fire and walked to the cave entry, obviously intent on leaving.

Realizing that, for the moment, Hayden didn’t seem to care if he was followed or not, Teyen realized she had lost the battle of stubborn spirits. Cursing under her breath, she jumped up and followed Hayden, content with what answers she did receive, thousands of more questions now rolling in her head.

Adjusting the pack he had left for her to carry, Teyen followed this mysterious man she had practically just met, trusting him with her life once again, with her future. All she had known was now lost in the sands of time and the future was even more uncertain than ever. All she knew was that she did trust Hayden and she would follow him to the ends of the world if he had asked it of her.

Teyen knew that the journey that lay ahead was a long one and there would be much time to unravel the mystery of what was really going on. Even in these moments of silence walking through ‘the Wicked Woods’ she felt like she was safe. She realized that with him, and with the light of the sun shining down, the forest didn’t seem nearly as frightening. Perhaps it had been real or perhaps it was all in her head. Either way, as long as Hayden was with her, she knew that she would be okay.
© Copyright 2006 Pendragyn (dragynsrealm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1078942-Chapter-1-The-Untrained-Eye