*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079571-Trapped
by LooZer
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1079571
I entered this for a competition at school and came third.
I have never been this scared in my life. I’m trapped. I could be here for days. I could die here. There’s no service on my mobile and I can’t see a thing. I’m terrified of the dark. My mate, Dave, made me watch too many horror films when I was younger. I can hear a baby crying somewhere near me. I feel like I’m about to start crying too. A man next to me has his radio on and it’s now 6 o’ clock, so we’ve been in here for three hours. It feels like longer. The man on the news says that the tunnel has collapsed at the front. I’m sat in the middle of the train, which is really lucky because I was going to be sat at the front but my ticket got swapped around at the last minute. I hope everyone at the front of the train is okay.
I was just reading a book, completely caught up in a different world, when a massive crash flew me head first back to reality and head first into the seat in front of me, I fell to a heap on the floor, landing awkwardly on my arm. It made a cracking sound, I’m pretty sure that I’ve broken it. It’s throbbing now. I cried out in pain, along with a few people around me. Someone fell on top of me and I felt tears prickling in my eyes. I managed to struggle back to my seat, whimpering in pain.
When I fell I landed on my watch and it smashed, I can feel blood on my face and a cut on my cheek, that’s stinging. I can’t feel my arm anymore, it’s gone completely numb. I just wish I was at home with my mum and my little sister and Dave. I hope I’ll get to see them again.
Have I mentioned that I’m slightly claustrophobic? When I’m in a small space and there isn’t much air, I start freaking out and getting hysterical. Like now…I seriously hope that someone comes down here and saves us soon. Scared of the dark, claustrophobic and trapped underground on a broken down train. Great.
If Dave was here he would put his arm around me and tell me not to worry about a thing. He always sees the good in things and makes bad things seem better. No one could ever be upset, when Dave is around. My mum would hug me and tell me that she loves me and that we’re going to be fine. She’d calm me down and make me smile. My sister would probably be braver than me, she’d tell me to stop being such a baby.
“I want to go home.” I hear a child cry to his mother.
“We have to be patient, darling. They’ll get us out of here soon.” His mum tells him. She sounds like my mum. I miss my mum. She can’t fix my shoulder but she could give me a big hug and make it stop hurting for a little bit. I feel someone groping around in the darkness, they trip and fall on me, landing on my arm. I scream, as a blinding pain shoots through my arm and tears start rolling down my cheeks.
My arm hurts, I'm tired, I'm hungry, I‘m scared, and I just want to go home. The man that fell on my arm is now making himself comfortable, he rests his head against my arm and I shove him away from me, yelling at him. Then I just start sobbing. I’m in so much pain. The woman next to me tries to calm me down but I snap at her and tell her to leave me alone. It’s dark, so no one can see me, no one will notice that I’m crying.
“Please, God, help me.” I sob. I look around at the pitch darkness. I think everyone sat near me have now moved somewhere else. I don’t blame them. I’ve got to calm down. I have to get through this. I take a deep breath and try to think of a happy thought. Me and Dave have a big show coming up, I’m in a band, I don’t think I’ve mentioned that yet, I play lead guitar, Dave plays bass and Jason plays drums. We don’t have a name yet but we have three songs. We’re going to be playing with a big local band. It’s going to be fun. I wonder if Dave knows about this, this accident I mean. He doesn’t really pay attention to the news but someone would of probably told him. I wonder if my mum knows.
I stretch my legs out in front of me and strain my ears to hear the radio playing.
“We have some messages flowing in from families and friends of the people who are stuck in the train in London. We’ll try our best to get through them all. Our prayers are with you guys, if you’re listening. There is help on the way.” The announcer says. Tears start splashing down my cheeks once again. I wipe them away with my sleeve, smearing blood across my face. I cringe and screw my eyes shut. The smell of dried blood makes my stomach churn. I feel sick.
Me and Dave argued before I left today, I broke a string on his guitar and he started shouting at me. I tried to apologise but he stormed out. I had to get out of the house to clear my head and that’s how I ended up here. Funny how things work out, huh? Anyway, last time I heard someone call out the time it was 8pm. We’ve been here for 5 hours. I’m hungry, thirsty, tired, in agony and now I think I’m going to throw up.
“Get off me!” I roar into the darkness as someone sits next to me and roughly shoves into my arm. They jump up and shuffle off, leaving me alone. That's what I want now. I want to be alone, completely alone. I don't want anyone touching me, or being near me, or even talking to me. My nerves are on end and I'm going out of my mind, I really don't know how much longer I can take this.
“Here’s a message for Roxanne.” I look up, as I here my name. “from her mum, her little sister and Dave and Jason. It says ‘I hope you’re safe, I don’t know for sure if you’re down there. Please give us a call if you’re okay. We’ll be outside waiting for you, love you’.” I manage a small smile. They’ll be waiting for me, I’m going to be okay. It’s all going to be okay. That’s given me so much hope. I need to hold on for them. I see a small light but I can’t focus on it. Then everything goes black.
I feel someone holding tightly to my hand and I, slowly, open my eyes. I’m greeted with Daves smiling face and next to him is my mum with my little sister, Carrie, on her lap.
“Oh, Roxy you’re awake. How are you feeling?” My mum asks, I look around at the hospital room and notice my arm’s been bandaged up.
“Strange.” I reply. “What happened?” I ask.
“A paramedic found you unconscious and got you out. I’m so glad that you’re okay.” Dave says.
“You gave us all a right scare.“ My mum admits. I smile slightly.
“Do you want anything?” Dave asks me. I think for a minute, furrowing my brow.
“Well, I quite fancy a huge hot fudge sundae with loads of fudge, and toffee cream, and whipped cream, and a few cherries on top, and M&Ms, and those little chocolates that have the mint in it, and, and…”
“I'll see what I can do.” Dave laughs and leaves the room. I smile up my mum and Carrie. Carrie throws her arms around me and pulls me towards her for a hug.
“I missed you.” She tells me.
“I missed you too.”
“Jason was here earlier, he left you some flowers.” My mum says, as Carrie sits back down. My mum passes me the bouquet of roses, my favourite. I read the note.
"Dear Roxy,
I nearly flipped when I found out. I hope your arm gets better soon, so you can play your guitar. I’ll be in to visit you soon. Stay strong.
Love from Jason. xx”
I smile and then look up as Dave returns with the biggest sundae I have ever seen.
“Woah, is that for me? How'd you do it?” I ask. Dave winks at me and puts the sundae on the table beside me. He taps the side of his nose with his finger and I frown at him.
“Don’t worry how I got it, just enjoy it.” I grin at him and reach out my good arm, taking a spoon and digging into the ice cream. Everything’s going to be okay now. I have never been this happy in my life.
© Copyright 2006 LooZer (loozer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1079571-Trapped