*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1081774-The-Appointment
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1081774
Sometimes things aren't what they seem
The voice on phone woke her. She sat up; her eyes wide, and stared around the bedroom. Shadows clung to the walls. Suddenly she pondered whether the windows were latched. She dropped the phone, and rose slowly. Staring out the window, she glanced across the moonlit lawn. There it was a single red rose. She clutched the desk, and fear surged through her. Beyond it, a figure emerged from behind the pine tree at the edge of her yard. Victoria Anderson screamed, and fainted.

“She said what?” Kirsten Proctor tapped her pen on the desk and let her eyes roll to the clock. “Sorry Sam, I’ve got a patient due. I’ll stop by tonight.”

“Mrs. Anderson is here.” Margery said as she laid a file on Kirsten’s desk.

"Show her in.” Kirsten flipped through the file as Margery led Victoria in. The woman wore a long trench, with a grey scarf covering her head and dark glasses shielding her eyes. Margery offered her refreshments, and then pulled a bottle of water from the small fridge under the desk.

“I’ll buzz you in an hour.” Margery said.

“Alright.” Kirsten said. She rose and settled in the armchair by the sofa. “Victoria, your file says you’ve been having trouble sleeping. The notes say you’ve been experiencing very vivid nightmares.”

“They’re real.” She pulled off the scarf and glasses. “He’s stalking me.”

“Who?” Kirsten inquired.

“Bobby Landry.” She began to cry.

“Alright, and why do you think Bobby Landry is stalking you?” Kirsten grasp a pen from her desk.

“Because, my friends and I killed him.”

“Tell me about it.” Kirsten reached into her purse, and pulled out the small pocket recorded.

“It was autumn, 1981. My best friends, Katie and June, and I were freshmen in high school. Katie’s sister’s best friend invited us to a party, and we were so excited. When we got there, the party was in full swing. People were drinking, doing drugs, and Katie’s sister disappeared upstairs with her boyfriend. The house belonged to the Landry’s, and behind it was a lake. Someone got us each a beer; something we’d never had before. Before long, we were drunk. Then Bobby Landry offered Katie a joint. She took a drag, and coughed.
Her sister appeared at the top of the stairs and began to yell at Bobby. He was cute and funny and diffused her anger. They headed outside together to talk. Bobby’s sister offered to drive us home, and we went.” Victoria paused.

“Go on.” Kirsten urged.

“Katie’s sister never came home. Bobby Landry told the police that she’d left his party early because she was upset. There were searches, but nothing ever turned up. Bobby Landry even volunteered to help. He seemed distraught by her disappearance. Every now and then, he’d stop us in the hall and ask Katie how she was. Everyone ate up his concerned act.

“You didn’t believe him?”

“No, because Katie’s sister was just the beginning. Annabeth Porter disappeared during Homecoming. Then on opening night of the school musical, Lindsay Ashby disappeared. It was like something was hunting them. The papers listed them as runaways.

One night, we were walking home from a dance. We saw him talking to Julie Muncy, leading her into the woods behind the grocery store. Katie wanted to follow him. June kept saying that it was rude to spy on people, and we all knew that people went into the woods to fool around. We went to Katie’s house. After a saying goodnight to her parents, we headed upstairs.

We didn’t sleep, though. We climbed out the window, taking Katie’s small flashlight. We climbed down the big oak, and made our way back to the woods. Trying our best to be careful, we headed through the trees. I was in the lead, and I heard it first.”

“Heard what?” Kirsten asked.

“The shovel. It was digging into the earth, and whoever was digging was breathing heavy. I stopped, and motioned to the others, then I crept forward. I peered around a tree, and I thought my heart had stopped.

He was crouched on the ground, and covered in blood. He rolled the thing at his feet towards the hole. It was torn apart, but it wore Julie Muncy’s heavy coat. He bent and bit a chunk of flesh from the arm. Then he pushed her all the way in as he chewed, and picked up the shovel. I stood, paralyzed as he covered her. The he arranged underbrush over the grave. He stood for a moment, holding the shovel. Then he began to look around. I darted back, and motioned to my friends. We started to withdraw, when Katie tripped. In an instant, she was back on her feet, and we were running from the woods.

The next morning, we returned to the woods, but we couldn’t find the gravesite. We considered going to Katie’s parents. When we got to her house, Bobby Landry was there. He said he’d stopped by to get another picture of Katie’s sister for some posters he wanted to distribute in Northridge. Katie’s mom headed upstairs to get one.

‘I know what you saw.’ Bobby’s eyes darkened as he watched our reactions. ‘I’ve moved her. No matter who you tell, no one will believe you without proof.’ He smiled. ‘So, you better forget it.’ Katie’s mom emerged with the photo and he left.

‘We got to stop him.’ Katie sat on June’s bed later that day and fumed.

‘How?’ June shook her head. ‘He’s right.’

‘My dad has a gun.’ I offered.

‘You think we should kill him?’ June was alarmed.

‘Yeah, let’s kill him.’ Katie stood suddenly.

We formed a plan. We spent the next month watching him. He watched us too. He was careful. Towards the end of the month, we acted disinterested, and spent our time talking about an upcoming dance. He paused in the hall to listen, and we ignored him.

At the dance, we danced. Towards the end of the dance, he asked Katie to dance. She danced with him, and told her that he hadn’t hurt her sister. She returned to us, and we talked loudly about Monday’s math quiz.

He left early, with Carolyn Ross hanging on his arm. She was a slightly pudgy girl who smoked pot and dressed in tight clothes. They headed toward the grocery store, and then into the woods. We followed, though not to closely. He led Carolyn to a clearing, and began to kiss her. They were fumbling with their clothes.

Katie pulled the gun from her purse. It was heavy, but she was determined to kill him. I’d made sure the clip in the gun was fully loaded.

We were checking the gun over once more, when a moan reached our ears. We looked up.
He was crouched over Carolyn, his teeth buried in her throat. His adam’s apple bobbed. He was drinking. He held her for a moment, and then rose and withdrew a shovel from under the brush. Then he began to dig. We watched. He’d pause to bite her, or to drink from her. Finally, he set the shovel down and turned. His dark eyes spied us.

‘Children should be home in bed.’

‘No more.’ Katie raised the gun.

‘Foolish little girl, just like your sister.’ He stepped towards her. I heard the gun roar, and he jerked backwards. She fired again, and he fell backwards into the open grave.’

We pushed Carolyn into the grave with him. Then we filled in the dirt and covered it with underbrush. We swore we’d never tell anyone.”

“Victoria, if Bobby Landry is dead, then he can’t be stalking you.” Kirsten said calmly.

“Prove it.” Victoria said and twisted to look at her.

“Alright, where are these woods?” Kirsten asked as she clicked off the recorder

“About an hour from here.” Victoria said. “I can’t go there alone.”

“I’ll go with you, tomorrow.” Kirsten offered.

The woods were quiet as death as then drove. Getting out of the car, they walked quickly through the woods. Victoria kept glancing around. Kirsten felt a little annoyed at this.

“There are no such things as ghosts, Victoria.” They paused in the clearing. There was a mound of disturbed ground, and beyond it, a shallow grave. “Victoria?” Kirsten turned, and saw the shovel swinging towards her.
© Copyright 2006 Jane Conder (broken73 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1081774-The-Appointment