*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082033-Straying-Away-From-Home
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1082033
Tom is all alone in the city. Can some one so young find his way home?
I want to start off by telling you that this is not an original concept. When I was in seventh grade I read a short story for class that astounded me with its technique. Thus I am writing my own interpertation of the story in an effort to perfect that technique in myself. All reviews are welcome and criticisms even more so. I hope you enjoy my little tale

DISCLAIMER: I apologise in advance if I offend anyone of Asian descent. There are many cultural differences between the people from that continent and the United States. I know that many Asians living in the U.S.A. have adopted our ways. This story uses an Asian character that does not.


__________________________________________________


Straying Away From Home

Tom always had a free spirit that betrayed his youth. Whenever something caught his attention he disregarded everything else. Today was no exception. As his mother ushered him and his four siblings out of the house to go to the market, she resolved to keep a close eye on him. Unfortunately, five little ones frolicking along the sidewalk strained her motherly abilities. And so, when Tom spotted a butterfly perched on a tulip, she did not realize that he was no longer following the group.

Tom spent over an hour following the colorful wisp from flower to flower. When boredom set in he realized that he was alone in a park that he did not recognize. His youthful body did not match his energetic spirit and fatigue was setting in. Also, he had not eaten all day and mealtime was after the trip to the market. His brothers and sisters were probably enjoying a hearty repast at that moment. When he looked to the sky the yellow orb was falling slowly behind the buildings. Soon it would be dark. Mother warned him to never go outside at night. That's when the evil man was on the prowl. One of his brothers was taken by this bearded fiend and was never seen again. His mother would not speak of the torture that she feared happened.

Shaking those thoughts out of his head, Tom set off to find his way home. None of the buildings looked familiar. Besides the park, the area looked more like an industrial district. Warehouses stood on both sides of the street. Block after block Tom walked, seeing no evidence of life in view. Darkness was falling and starvation was settling in. Tom spied a single jellybean on the ground and did not hesitate before gobbling it down. It wasn't even enough to take the edge off his hunger.

He turned a corner and before him stood a van by the side of the road. Its engine was running and the lights were on. Thinking he had found his savior, Tom ran up to the driver side door. However, when the door opened, Tom saw the menacing beard he had come to dread. Flying as fast as his puny feet would carry him, Tom darted down the road. "Come back here you little shit." yelled the man as he pulled a long metal pole from behind the seat of the van. "There's no escaping me you rascal" he called out.

Street after street Tom barreled down but to no avail. Every glance back showed the man still dogging his every move. Down an alleyway, he squeezed under a fence. Thinking this would deter the man, he stopped to catch his breath. But the man scaled it effortlessly and the chase was back on. Panting as he exits the far side of the alley Tom finally sees a place that he recognizes. On the corner is an old building that has been turned into a Chinese takeout place. His family has had dinner there before and the owner is always friendly.

He goes around to the back door and finds the owner taking out the garbage. "Hey little one, what are you doing here all alone at night." Tom is so exhausted that he does not respond but merely walks up to the friendly old man. The owner pats him on the head and says," Don't worry, I'll take good care of you." as he snaps Tom's neck. Carrying the small body inside the owner mutters "That will teach you not to play in my dumpsters"

About 10 minutes later the bearded man walks into the takeout place. "Good evening Bill" welcomes the owner "How was your day?"

"Terrible. The poor little kitten I was following got away. He was so cute that I wasn't even gonna take him to the shelter. I guess I'll just have to buy my niece a toy for her birthday"

"That's too bad" consoled the owner "Why don't you try the pepper steak tonight. A fresh shipment of meat just arrived"

THE END
© Copyright 2006 Jacknife78 (jacknife78 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082033-Straying-Away-From-Home