*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082627-HOME-OF-THE-RED-FOX---Segment-Eighteen
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1082627
Chapters 86 thru 90
Chapter 86

         For years, Jessie’s main man was Squizzy Allen, both being native New Yorkers and full of piss and vinegar. When he passed on at the ripe old age of 83, the 77-year-old decided it was time to move into an old folks’ home, whether they were ready for her or not. There, she raised merry hell until one of Walker’s recruiters discovered her. The tiny woman, topping out at 5 feet 1 inch, if she stood on her tiptoes, had the face of a Madonna and the mouth of a longshoreman. Her complexion, even at her age, was smooth without wrinkles, and she had the loveliest big blue eyes. Auburn eyelashes matching her hair surrounded these. She would nightly beg and sometimes even browbeat the home’s staff to put her hair up in curlers with little pin curls near her ears.

         Her arrival at the mansion caused a stir. Walker walked out to meet the limousine, not sure what to make of the grin on his recruiter’s face. He did not mistake the lascivious look the older woman was giving him. All his young adult life, woman had admired his handsome appearance, his height, and his evident strength combined with a gentle manner. As he matured, women changed from simple admiration to an obvious desire to know him better, some much better. Never before, though, had any of them looked at him like Jessie now did, as if he were prime beefsteak. Even outside in the cold air, Walker felt unfamiliar warmth going from his face down his neck. He suddenly knew how Samantha felt when he teased her into blushing.

         The recruiter just stood there watching Jessie examine Walker ever so slowly. He saw her start at his boss’s long legs and bring her eyes up inch by inch. Every once in a while, she would hesitate to more fully explore an interesting section of his anatomy, then continue, ever upward. Finally, after what felt like forever to the two men, she reached her destination, his now ruddy face. Walker turned to Ralph, who was grinning even more broadly.

         Ralph, at 42 years old, was one of the older recruiters, since most of them were in their 30s. Samantha had recently hired him to find guests for the mansion in northern California. He knew he had found a winner in Jessie Hilton and hoped Walker would agree. During the flight from Sacramento to the airport near the mansion, he listened with glee to the woman’s many off-color stories. If nothing else, she would shake up the people at the mansion. He did warn her to tone down her mouth when around Samantha, as he understood the other woman did not have much of a sense of humor. Jessie agreed to try. Ralph guessed he could not ask for more than that.

         “Jessie, welcome to Maison du Renard Rouge,” said Walker to the tiny woman, as the men escorted her inside out of the cold. “I hope you had a pleasant flight.”

         “Well, Ralph here was good company. However, my ass is a bit sore from sitting so long.” Ralph looked everywhere but at his boss when Jessie continued. “What does all that foreign stuff mean? Mason what?” She stood there, looking up at the tall man who towered over her.

         “It’s simply French for Home of the Red Fox, named after the first resident of your new home.” This outspoken guest delighted Walker, and he knew she would bring a welcome breath of fresh air to the mansion. Seeing Samantha approaching, he wondered if she would appreciate Jessie’s outspoken manner.

         “You must be Jessie,” said Samantha when she reached the group standing by the front desk. “I’m Samantha and can answer any questions you might have. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” Each man hoped it would be and waited to see how Jessie would respond to this usually prim and proper woman.

         Walker flinched when Jessie, at first, said nothing and slowly looked the younger woman up and down. He and Ralph relaxed when she finally replied, “You’re as beautiful as Ralph said you were. I don’t have questions but sure could use a cup of tea right about now. My throat’s as dry as the Mojave.” Samantha laughed and led the petite woman away to find some tea and perhaps even a light snack.

         “Well?” Ralph asked, finally daring to look at his boss.

         “She’ll do,” Walker slapped the other man on his back, “You did great, Ralph.”

         Over the next few weeks and months, Jessie and Samantha became good friends. Samantha’s finishing school manners rubbed off on Jessie somewhat. Meanwhile, Jessie managed to get Samantha to unbend enough to grin at the occasional blue word that slipped out of the older woman’s mouth.

Chapter 87

         “Dr. Brown would like you to call him.” When Walker received the message from Keith, the desk clerk, he hoped it was about the results of Charlie Maxwell’s death. It still needed to be determined whether he died naturally or was murdered. The owner of the mansion had been worrying about the possibility of a murderer among his guests or staff, not knowing if the person would kill again.

         Although Dr. Brown was the nearby town’s medical examiner, Walker knew he had limited resources for an extensive autopsy. Therefore, the closest city processed many of the DNA and toxicology tests, which delayed the results coming to Dr. Brown and Walker.

         Instead of phoning, Walker decided to make the trip into town, as he also needed to run some personal errands. When he walked into Dr. Brown’s morgue, he noticed the young doctor sitting at his desk with a faxed report in front of him. A single green banker’s light cast shadows on the man’s face.

         The rest of the room was a bit dark since there were no bodies currently needing the medical examiner’s expertise. Because the morgue felt cold to him, Walker was glad he had on a cardigan sweater, a recent gift from Edith. It was the first time he had visited, and he took the opportunity to look around before Dr. Brown saw him. His first impression was of stainless steel everywhere making the room appear cold and sterile. One wall contained five doors behind which were sliding drawers to contain the bodies of the deceased. A large empty metal table took up half of the room, sandwiched in by two smaller tables. These contained instruments foreign to Walker, and he hoped to keep it that way.

         “Excuse me,” he said softly to not startle the man who was reading. Dr. Brown jumped up anyway, dropping the fax to the floor. Walker knelt to pick it up, and then shook hands with the other man. “I’m William Walker and got your message to call.”

         “Yes, Mr. Walker, I know who you are. Everyone in town knows you by now.” The doctor smiled and sat down again. He motioned for Walker to take the visitor’s chair next to his desk. “I didn’t expect you to come in person. It’s a pleasure, though, finally to meet you.”

         Walker handed the fax back to the doctor and looked at the other man more closely. Fatigue lined the doctor’s face, and he slumped forward, too weary to hold his body up straight.

         Walker must have looked curious, since the doctor said, “We had a major pileup on Dobson Road early last night with three fatalities. I just finished their autopsies half an hour ago. What a night!” He returned his attention to the fax. “You’re not here for that, though. I just got the toxicology report on your Charles Maxwell.”

         “And?” Walker waited, starting to worry.

         “He was poisoned, though I’m not sure if it was murder or he accidentally killed himself. Do you know much about diuretics and what they can do to the body?”

         “They’re sometimes used to lose weight. Charlie wasn’t overweight, so I’m not sure where you’re going with this.” Walker frowned, wondering if the doctor was too tired to know what he was saying and waited for him to continue.

         “According to the report, forensics found high levels of lithium and a low potassium level in his blood. An overdose of diuretics may cause these conditions.”

         “Did they find anything to account for these?”

         “Would you believe they found an excessive amount of celery seed oil, an uncommon natural weight loss potion?” Dr. Brown shook his head at what people put into their bodies to shed a few pounds. “Did you find anything like it in his room when you searched?”

         “I haven’t gone into his room since removing his body. I locked the door after the detective checked it out and kept the key.” Walker again wished his forensic friend from San Francisco, Jeff Randall, would visit. “The sheriff did send out a detective to look around, but…”

         Dr. Brown interrupted, “You must mean Frank Dunlop. The kid’s a rookie, just on the job a few months. Sheriff Bitson has been in the hospital for weeks with advanced pneumonia. Frank’s the only detective he has.”

         Even more than ever, Walker wanted Randall to visit the mansion. “Do you think they would object if I called in my own forensic man? I know an expert from San Francisco who might be willing to come, but I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.”

         “Why don’t I ask the sheriff and get back to you? I’m sure he wouldn’t.” After thanking the doctor and receiving a copy of the faxed report from him, Walker left the cold morgue, already planning the conversation with Randall in his mind.

         What would tempt the busy man to make another trip to the mansion? Perhaps Sam might have an idea or two.

Chapter 88

         “Hell, yes, I’d love to come and help.” Walker grinned at hearing Randall’s exuberant comment. After returning from the morgue, he had found a message from Sheriff Bitson giving him permission to call in outside help. He immediately phoned the SFPD, hoping to find the forensic agent still at work. Randall was about to go off shift, and Walker explained the mysterious death of Charlie Maxwell, extending an invitation to return to the mansion. Randall told him to keep Charlie’s apartment locked until he arrived to avoid further contaminating the crime scene.

         “Would it be all right if I brought a couple of my people?” He knew Angela and Mary would enjoy seeing the two children again.

         “Of course, bring anyone you want,” agreed Walker. He knew how Randall’s staff saved the children from their mother’s murderer, and would forever be grateful to them. “We have plenty of room, and the kids would love to see all of you again. When can you make it?”

         After making final arrangement for the visit, Walker rang off and went to look for Jack and Samantha to tell them to expect visitors the following week. He found them in the dining room having a late breakfast. Since he had missed his own meal in his hurry to visit Dr. Brown, he joined them. The ever-diligent waiter took Walker’s order of coffee with buttered rye toast and left the trio to talk in private. On his return a few minutes later with his boss’s breakfast, he found them talking and laughing, interrupting one another in their eagerness to get their words out.

         Not wanting to eavesdrop, the waiter put Walker’s coffee and toast in front of him and left, but not before hearing Jack say, “Walker, wait until you meet Angela. I know you’re not partial to blondes usually. However, I think you’ll make an exception in her case.” Being new to the mansion, the waiter did not understand the sudden irritated expression on Samantha’s face. It was none of his business, though, and he left to return to his duties.

          Without looking, Walker reached down for his toast and took a large hungry bite. Jack and Samantha stopped talking at his surprised utterance. “Bobby?” The waiter heard his name called out and returned to the table. “Didn’t you tell Geoffrey I wanted rye and not wheat toast? I’m also not fond of burned bread either.” The head chef was always the one who prepared all the meals for Walker, and he usually was meticulous. Bobby nervously nodded and relaxed when Walker continued, “Now that I think of it, last night’s dinner wasn’t up to his usual standards either.”

         “Bobby, don’t worry about it. I think I know what’s wrong.” Relieved at hearing Samantha say this, the waiter returned to the kitchen. “Walker, I think Geoffrey is in love.” She threw out the bombshell and sat back to watch his reaction.

         Instead, Jack asked, “In love? Who’s the lucky lady?” Walker just sat there with his coffee mug halfway to his lips, waiting for Samantha’s answer.

         “Do you remember a couple weeks ago when he burned his hand and had to go over to the ER?” The men nodded. “Well, Dr. Ellison was on duty and took care of him.” Dr. Harriet Ellison had made a positive impression on Walker the night of Samantha’s brush with death. Jack never met her and sat there waiting for Samantha to continue, intrigued at hearing their cranky chef was in love. “Every since, he’s been moping around, unable to get up the nerve to ask her out.”

         “And that’s causing him to ruin my meals?” Walker said this seriously, although his friends knew he was kidding. It would take more than a few ruined meals to upset the even-tempered man. “Okay, what can we do to get these two together? Jack, you’re my idea man. Come up with an idea.” Samantha breathed a sigh of relief, knowing the two men would think of something to help the course of true love to run smoothly. At least she hoped they would.

         Never in her wildest dreams, though, would she have ever thought of doing what they did the next day. Samantha was just glad Sheriff Bitson was still out sick so he could not arrest them.

Chapter 89

         Early the next morning, the clerk at the front desk called for an ambulance to come to the mansion. When it arrived, Walker and Jack helped a shaky Geoffrey into the ambulance and watched as it roared off into the distance. Samantha stood in the mansion’s open doorway, shaking her head in disbelief as the two men shook hands at a job well done.

         “I just hope you know what you’re doing,” she said as the men calmly walked inside. “Telling a man he’s eaten bad mushrooms has to be a crime, I think.”

         “Don’t worry, Sam. The worst that will happen is Geoffrey will get his stomach pumped.” When Samantha just stood there silently staring at him, he went on. “Jack made sure Dr. Ellison is on duty in the ER, and I called to let her know Geoffrey needs special care because of his importance to me and the mansion.”

         “Right, and he has needed some time off from work. Would you believe he’s not taken a vacation since you hired him?” Jack jumped in with that information, as he tried to stem Samantha’s further objections. She gave up at seeing they outnumbered her, but not before letting the two men know she did not approve of their underhanded tactics. What they did might work out at getting the chef and doctor together. She just hoped Geoffrey never found out.

         At the hospital, Dr. Ellison saw the gurney containing Geoffrey entering through the ambulance entrance. The two orderlies pushed the gurney into an ER room and left the man in her care. She thought it was sweet of Walker to be so concerned for his chef and silently vowed to give the ill man her personal attention.

         Walker had found a gem when he hired Dr. Ellison to head his hospital’s ER trauma team. A graduate of Cedar Sinai Medical Center in Southern California, the 45-year-old doctor came with impeccable credentials. After passing her boards, she chose to specialize in emergency room medicine. In the year since being hired, she had made Walker’s hospital the primary trauma center in the county. It currently served guests and staff of the mansion as well as local townspeople.

         “Harriet, is it you?” A familiar voice broke into her concentration as she checked the vital signs of the figure on the gurney. “Am I dying?”

         “Hush, Geoffrey, I refuse to let you die. Lie still and let me finish my exam.” She continued to poke and prod the chubby chef, trying to find why he was writhing in agony. So far, she had found his pulse and blood pressure a bit elevated, but that was normal when a patient came to the hospital. Dr. Ellison ran her fingers through her premature gray hair in frustration. “Walker called and said you might have eaten some bad mushrooms. Is that right?”

         “Oh,” he moaned, “how could it have happened? I’m always so careful. I know I’m dying. Don’t lie to me. Tell me the truth, Harriet.”

         Starting to feel irritated at her inability to find anything else wrong, the doctor decided all she could do was pump out his stomach. When she told him this, Geoffrey jumped off the gurney in panic. Clutching his stomach, he started for the ER door. The doctor, determined not to let the man escape and possibly die, grabbed his shirt just as he reached the door. It caught him off balance, and he crashed backwards to the floor taking Dr. Ellison with him.

         Just as she landed heavily on top of him, pushing his breath out with a loud whoosh, the door opened, and in returned one of the young orderlies. His knowing grin irritated Dr. Ellison even further.

         “Don’t you say a word, Bill, don’t you even think it.” She glared up at the orderly, as she tried to remove herself from the body of the startled and slightly squashed chef. Not daring to say a word and with an even wider grin, the orderly reached down and helped the doctor to her feet. She brushed nonexistent dirt off her rumpled uniform and smoothed her hair back off her face. She stood there, daring the orderly or Geoffrey to comment on her undignified appearance.

         Once Bill had helped the chef to his feet, he picked up the first aid box he had come to retrieve and left the room. Sounds of uncontrolled laughter following him down the long corridor. “Harriet,” said Geoffrey, his round body shaking with poorly suppressed chuckles, “I think you cured me. No need for a stomach pump, as you pushed out all the pain.” He stood there, looking at the still embarrassed woman. “Why not take a break and join me for coffee in the lunchroom? I think we’ve become good enough friends by now.”

         Dr. Ellison realized it would be silly to refuse. She did like the man and felt at ease with him, even after what had just happened. “Well, Geoffrey, I do need to keep an eye on you, just in case you relapse.” With that, the two left the ER room for what would be the start of a long and passionate relationship.

         Walker and Jack would be proud of what they had done today, and Geoffrey never did find out they had lied to him.

Chapter 90

         Just before noon, the rented car containing the people from San Francisco pulled up in front of the mansion. Randall unfolded his long body from behind the steering wheel and stood by the car’s open door. He looked at the mansion’s large front window, where he could see two excited children peering out. Joshua and Sue Beth ducked from view and reappeared as the mansion’s front door opened. Notified of the visitors’ arrival by the excited yelling of the children, Walker, Jack, and Samantha followed the running children in a more leisurely fashion.

         The three adults watched as Randall braced himself against the side of the car in preparation for the children’s enthusiastic greeting. Joshua suddenly remembered, at eight years old, he considered himself practically an adult. Wanting to behave like one, he slowed down and held out his hand in solemn greeting. Nothing like that stopped Sue Beth, still very much a child at the age of six. She jumped up into Randall’s outstretched arms and put her arms around his neck in her stranglehold hug. He managed to extract one arm and reached down to shake Joshua’s hand, then grabbed and tugged the youngster to his side.

         With one arm around Joshua and the other holding on to Sue Beth to keep her from falling, Randall slowly made his way up the walkway to the three waiting adults. While this was going on, two women left the rented car and followed him. “Hey, kids,” Randall finally said, as he peeled the little girl from his neck, “have you forgotten Mary and Angela already?”

         Those two were as unalike as day and night. The older Angela, a striking woman in her 40s, was slender and six feet tall in her two-inch high heels. The formfitting black winter coat did little to hide her statuesque beauty, and a faux fur cap rested on long wavy hair. Her large brown eyes, surrounded by dark eyelashes, contrasted with the blonde hair, and her generous mouth was smiling at the two children.

         Joshua was the first to reach the two women and received a hug from Angela in greeting. Mary stood there waiting for her turn with as big a smile on her face. About ten years younger than Angela, the shorter forensic agent looked around as she waited for the children to greet her. She immediately saw Jack standing by the mansion’s open front door. Mary remembered him from his visit to San Francisco last year. At that time, all the agents had their doubts about the children finding a good home together in foster care. When Jack mentioned his employer and the purpose of Walker’s mansion, they had reluctantly agreed to let the orphaned children move here. Seeing Sue Beth and Joshua looking so healthy and happy, Mary realized their decision had been the right one.

         Jack left Samantha and Walker to greet Mary. He saw the quiet brunette was a bit in awe of her surroundings. True, the mansion looked large with its three stories towering into the sky. Walker’s fourth floor apartment added to the impression of size.

         After getting her degree in forensic science from one of the sister colleges in western Massachusetts, Mary had worked for two years near the small city of Springfield. She had transferred to the SFPD Forensic Unit shortly before Jack met her, but she still was a country girl at heart. Jack, also raised in a small town, understood how she was feeling and resolved to put her at her ease.

         “Mary, I’d like you to meet Samantha and Walker,” Jack said, as he walked with her up the pathway to meet them. Mary shyly put out her hand to Walker in greeting. Walker surprised her when, after he shook her hand, he reached out to tuck her arm into his. Mary was even more startled when she received a quick kiss of welcome on her cheek from Samantha.

         By now, Angela and the two children had followed Mary and Jack up the pathway. Angela received a similar greeting from Samantha. Walker gave her a friendly nod, never relinquishing his hold on Mary’s arm. Jack had previously told him about the younger woman’s shyness, and Walker resolved to make her feel at home as quickly as possible. Looking over at Jack hovering nearby, he realized the other man was more than willing to take on the task. Without Mary being aware of what he was doing, he removed his arm from hers and motioned for Jack to take his place.

         Walker turned to Randall, who had been waiting for Jack to introduce the two women. The softly falling snow powdered his dark brown hair, but Randall was oblivious of the snow and the cold weather. As had happened during his first visit to the mansion months earlier, his rugged good looks caused Samantha’s breathing to come a little faster. Angela, guessing the other woman’s reaction to her tall, handsome supervisor, smiled. She had become used to women practically throwing themselves at the feet of the various attractive men she worked with. Randall drew the most admiring looks, and she knew the man did not even realize the effect he had on women. His work came first, last, and always, with women hardly acknowledged at all.

         Angela, therefore, was a bit shocked when her boss pulled Samantha into what turned out to be a passionate embrace. She also noticed the man standing next to the redheaded woman seemed upset, if the sudden frown on his face was any indication.

Continued in next segment.
 HOME OFTHE RED FOX - Segment Nineteen  (18+)
Chapters 91 thru 95
#1082625 by J. A. Buxton

© Copyright 2006 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082627-HOME-OF-THE-RED-FOX---Segment-Eighteen