*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082913-HOME-OF-THE-RED-FOX---Segment-Three
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1082913
Chapter 11 thru 15
Chapter 11

         "But we're not equipped to handle children.” These anguished words came from Walker, feeling more and more as if the four people standing in front of him were backing him into a corner. Jack and Samantha tried to keep satisfied looks from showing, knowing their marshmallow of a boss was starting to weaken, even as he came up with less and less reasonable arguments.

         "Who’ll take care of them? Do I have to help them with their schoolwork? They eat adult food, don’t they?” Walker ended with a horrified, "Are they even housebroken?” These questions shot at the two adults, one after another like machine gun bullets. Never before had they seen Walker like this, not realizing he was simply teasing them.

         "Calm down, man. We've thought of all these problems and, yes, they're, as you say, housebroken." With his laughing response, Jack gently pushed the two small children towards the confirmed bachelor, who had run from marriage and children all his adult life. It was not that he did not like children. He did, but having grown up an only child in his adoptive family, Walker was clueless about how to talk to them. With adults, he had no problems communicating, but children might as well be extraterrestrials.

         "Mr. Walker," they all heard a little girl's voice say. "We won't be any trouble and will behave. Cross my heart!” She stood in front of him, looking up with big blue eyes. Later, Samantha swore to Jack she watched Walker melt right before her at the sight of Sue Beth slowly moving her fingers over her chest in the familiar childhood “cross my heart and hope to die” promise.

         The older child said nothing. The boy, like a trapped animal, just looked warily around the living room of Walker's private suite where the five of them were meeting. Earlier in the day, Samantha and Jack had returned from their tour of the country. They had been recruiting staff and looking for new guests to bring back to the mansion. The city of San Francisco being on their itinerary, Jack had decided to drop in on his old friend, Captain Bob Steele of the SF Police.

         They had known each other for years from their South Boston days when Jack had thought to join the force there. The two men had become friends despite the differences in their ages and backgrounds. The captain was a roughneck, divorced with a teenage daughter, a curmudgeonly cynic who had seen more of the seedy side of life than Jack could even imagine. The two men had sat down one evening in a noisy Irish pub for a few drinks and stayed in touch since then.

         On meeting Captain Steele, Samantha had taken to him right away. He charmed Samantha with his smile and collection of stories about the people he met on the job, some alive but most dead. When he mentioned a recent case, which left two small children orphaned and in danger of separation if they entered foster care, she came up with a possible solution to his problem.

         The solution—Walker--currently stood in front of them looking down at the small girl. Walker was wavering in his resolve not to give in to their emotional blackmail. He glanced from her over to the silent boy, who was about two years older than his five-year-old sister. Walker knew he would have to make room for these two waifs in his home and heart. Letting his breath out in a long sigh, he looked back at the two waiting adults. "Okay, if you can find a way legally to make them my wards, they're welcome here."

         The normally reserved Samantha gave in to her sudden impulse and reached out to give Walker a big hug and a kiss on his cheek. When he put his arms around her in response, she quickly backed away. Jack came forward to pound his boss on the back in uncontrolled enthusiasm. "We already looked into this, Walker, and the papers for you to sign are in my briefcase just waiting for your John Hancock.” He started laughing at Walker's disgruntled look.

         "You know me too well. I didn't stand a chance, did I?” Walker shook his head in mock dismay. He turned to the two children, who were quietly waiting for these three strangers to determine their futures.

         Until recently, they had been happy, living with their divorced mother in a small San Francisco home. Following their mother's murder by her boyfriend, they had moved to live with their maternal grandmother. After her death from a stroke the following week, they narrowly escaped from their mother's killer. They ended temporarily in the care of Jeff Randall, a forensic scientist of the SF Crime Scene Department. Sorry to see them leave with Jack and Samantha, Randall realized they would have a better life in the safety of Walker's home, after hearing it described in more detail.

         Walker, loved by many, feared by a few, and respected by all who knew him, now knelt on one knee to welcome the two children. Sue Beth quickly wrapped him around her little finger when she smiled. She came forward for a hug and gave him one of her little butterfly kisses. It landed on his left cheek right next to where he had already received one from Samantha. Unlike the older woman, the child stayed within Walker's arms, as she was a natural at cuddling. Her brown curls tickled his face, and Walker's gentle smile at her helped Joshua overcome his trepidation. He slowly walked towards his new guardian.

         "Mr. Walker?"

         "Yes, Joshua?” Kneeling there with one arm still around Sue Beth, Walker waited for the boy to come to him. He recognized the child was nervous and did not want to scare him by any sudden movements. Because he still did not know why Jack and Samantha brought the children to the mansion, Walker was unsure what was wrong. With these two children under his protection, however, he knew it was up to him to find the problem and fix it, if possible.

         “You won't let anyone hurt my sister, will you?” These scared words coming from the boy startled him. Jack and Samantha, who were somewhat familiar with their recent past, winced. Joshua’s pathetic question saddened them. Walker looked up at them in confusion, but decided the boy must have a good reason for asking such a strange question.

         "Joshua, you and Sue Beth are safe here. People will always be nearby to protect you from anything or anyone scary. Okay?” He reached out with his free arm and gently took Joshua's hand in his. Walker could see the boy was still unsure of him, but felt he was making progress when he saw a tentative nod. Standing up, he headed for the guests’ kitchen, thinking a good welcome to his home for the two orphans would be a visit with a few of their new surrogate grandparents.

         The popular bachelor, holding the hands of his new children and with two of his closest friends behind him, walked into the kitchen. Women, for probably the first time in his life, ignored him. The two youngsters found themselves immediately surrounded by adoring elderly cooks, most starved for the sight of children in this home of all adults.

         Without realizing it, Walker and his two friends found something that had been missing from the lives of so many for too long. No matter what problems adding Sue Beth and Joshua into his life caused, Walker knew it would be worth it when he saw the happy faces of all the adults in the kitchen.

         He might have changed his mind if he could have seen into the future. Unfortunately, he did not have this ability, so just stood there with a big grin on his face, not knowing he was tempting fate.

Chapter 12

         The words "For My Children", carved on an oaken wood table, described Jacob Morningside perfectly. The widower, who had spent his adult life putting his boys first, became bewildered at finding himself discarded by them. At the age of 74, Jacob became frightened at being alone for the first time in his life.

         “Dad, we’re only thinking of what’s best for you.” This patronizing statement came with a quick pat on the back from his youngest, Steven. Jacob looked at him, unsure of what was happening.

         Albert, his middle son, the successful doctor in the family, backed up his brother. "Right, you don't need this big house after Steven’s wedding next week. He’ll be moving out, and you’ll be alone.” Steven nodded his head, agreeing.

         Finally, his eldest, Joseph, ended the conversation abruptly, brooking no further discussion. "I have your belongings packed and will store your furniture and other stuff at U-Store half a block from your new place. I'll send you the key to the storage unit after I'm all done."

         Later in the day, Jacob found himself moved from his home of almost 60 years. Looking around his small room at the Sunnyside Convalescent Home, he tried to figure out what had happened earlier in the day. He was in excellent health and in complete control of his faculties. Yet, here he was under the care of doctors and nurses as if he was at death's door. He even needed permission to go for a walk outside, which deeply upset this independent man.

         When the key arrived, Jacob walked to the U-Store complex where he found his belongings carelessly tossed in. Ignoring the broken items, he walked to the one piece of furniture that was priceless to him. It brought back so many good memories.

          “Sweetheart, it's a beautiful table," said Nancy, his adored wife and mother of his strong sons. "You’re so smart to build it, but what's this you've carved on the top?” She leaned forward to read it while her husband glowed with pride at her compliments. "For My Children! What a lovely sentiment, Jacob.”

         Standing there years later looking at the old table, he slowly ran his hand over the inscription he had placed there so lovingly. He thought back to the many noisy meals eaten at the table. He also remembered those sad ones for weeks after his beloved Nancy had died, when his children were still in their teens.

         Eventually, the noise returned around the table, but it was different somehow. The boys were moving on with their own lives. They shared secrets their "old man" would not understand about girls, and sex, and cars. One by one, they left for college, but came back to the old homestead when finished. It was cheaper to live there when first starting out on their career paths.

         Joseph was the first to leave permanently. When his accounting firm became a success, it allowed him to marry. Soon, the table again had children dropping food on it and kicking its carved legs. Jacob rarely saw his grandchildren now and knew why. One day he had overheard his 3-year-old granddaughter say loudly to her mother, "Granddad smells funny. He smells old.” Her mother had laughed, trying to explain it was Ben-Gay for his sore legs. Sadly, Joseph's two children refused to come near their grandfather after that.

         Following years of study, while living frugally at home, Albert finally passed his boards. He started his practice as a proctologist in a nearby town. His older brother once joked, “It’s the perfect specialty for you. You are one and can always examine yourself when business is slow.” Their father did not understand what he meant by this, but Albert did and would not speak to Joseph for weeks. Albert’s practice grew so much it made sense to buy a home closer to it, leaving only Steven living at home.

         Jacob pulled up one of the unit’s packing boxes to the table and sat down, noticing for the first time how old and shabby it looked. The inscription was hardly legible after years of scrubbing it clean. The wood was in desperate need of varnishing again. Eventually, he left the table with all its memories and returned to his lonely room, finally resigned to his life there. Like the table, I'm old and no longer needed, he sadly thought.

         One of Walker's recruiters, receiving a letter from Jacob's doctor, arrived to take the old man to where he would feel wanted once again. Immediately, his sons started proceedings to get Power of Attorney for his investments. These greedy men were not willing to wait until his death for their small inheritance.

         Walker smiled, without it reaching his eyes, when Jacob came to him later, wanting his advice about this. All of his adversaries had seen that smile before and would have recognized it. Walker was ready to do battle and did not like to lose.

Chapter 13

         It was hate at first sight.

         One morning, when Samantha was instructing a new desk clerk on his duties, she looked outside and saw an expensive car pull up in front. Out stepped an attractive woman looking around like she owned the place. When she came into the mansion, the woman stopped and waved at someone walking up behind Samantha.

         Samantha turned around. Walker, in his usual friendly style, came forward to greet the stranger. He obviously knew her. To Samantha’s amazement, when the woman reached him, she gave him a lingering kiss. One hand caressed the back of Walker’s neck while the other reached around his body to pull him closer.

         With his back to her, Samantha was unable to see the surprise on Walker's face during the kiss. True, he thought, I once had dinner with Monica, but that hardly accounts for such a passionate demonstration. Being a man who thoroughly enjoyed women, though, he was not about to complain and gave himself over fully to the kiss.

         Finally releasing him, Monica said loud enough for those at the front desk to hear, "Oh, William, it's so good to see you again. However, duty comes before pleasure. Are my parents around?” Knowing the routine to find the Cochrans, she put her hand possessively under Walker's arm and walked with him to the front desk. After Walker untangled himself from her to help the new clerk put the call through to her parent's suite, Monica strolled over to Samantha with a satisfied smile on her model-perfect face.

         While trying to mask her instinctive dislike of the woman, all Samantha could think was, William? Where did this come from? No one ever calls him anything but Walker. It did not help she felt positively dowdy, not to mention frumpy, next to the tall, willowy, impeccably-dressed female.

         "You must be Sam. William has told me so much about you.” These low honey-coated words could not disguise Monica's dismissal of the other woman and Samantha’s importance to Walker. "He mentioned you were single, and he depends on you so much. Such a shame, but I guess what you do is enough for some women.” Samantha started seething at these snide words. The return of Walker from behind the desk, however, saved her from having to respond.

         Watching the two of them walk towards the conversation area to wait for the Cochrans, Samantha heard Monica say, "Such a sweet woman, William. So sad she isn't married yet. You must try to find a man for her. Don’t you know someone among all your older friends?” Samantha lost Walker's reply when they moved out of her hearing.

         The clerk innocently commented to her, "Isn't she such a beautiful woman? Don't they make a perfect couple?” Samantha just looked at him without saying a word.

         When the Cochrans finally arrived, their daughter quickly led them back to the room where they had talked the previous week. Samantha watched her familiarity with the mansion and with Walker, but could not understand why this upset her. Walker, after all, could be with anyone he wanted, and it meant nothing to her.

         When Walker returned to the front desk, Samantha was calm and had these strange emotions under control. That is, until she saw the smudge of lipstick by his mouth. When she saw the clerk had also noticed it, without a word she pulled a tissue out of her pocket and handed it to Walker. When his left eyebrow went up in a silent question, she took the tissue back and wiped the lipstick off herself, still silently.

         Under her gentle touch, his mouth curved up in a smile, as he softly said, "You’re always cleaning me up, Sam.” The memory of the episode with the spilled soup on his lap had her once more blushing. She quickly turned and walked away from him, and he realized today was his day for not understanding women. "What did I say to upset her?” Not realizing he had said this out loud, he did not know what to make of the clerk's amused expression.

         When Monica left half an hour later, neither Samantha nor Walker was around to see her parents silently walk to the elevator and back to their rooms. No one was there to watch Dan using Rose's arm for support, as if in pain.

Chapter 14

         One morning, as Walker was having an early breakfast in the dining room with Jack and Samantha, he suddenly remembered the hidden room on the third floor. They had been discussing how to home school Sue Beth and Joshua, throwing ideas into the mix right and left. He decided that could wait, since it was the middle of summer. Besides, his two wards were still becoming acquainted with all their surroundings.

         Samantha told him, half joking, the orphans were in danger of all their adoptive grandparents spoiling them. She also told him he and Jack were just as guilty. She, of course, was the only person in the mansion who knew how to treat children properly. Hardly any of the new toys in their suite next to hers were from her, unlike those from these two men. She looked over at Jack, “Didn’t you give Joshua the toy fire engine and Sue Beth a lovely baby doll that wets when you give it water?”

         Walker looked at Jack in surprise. “You gave her a doll that wets itself? Why would anyone create such a thing?” Samantha just smiled and shook her head. She could tell Walker never had sisters or even been around little girls when growing up.

         “At least my gifts to the kids make sense.” The bachelor proudly remembered going into a toy store in the next town and buying a baseball set for Joshua that included bats, balls, and catcher’s mitt. He enjoyed looking down from one of his bedroom’s windows where he watched Joshua playing ball with some of the elderly male guests. Last week, he had even joined them, much to Jack’s amusement. He watched Walker accidentally hit a ball towards the mansion where it crashed into and broke one of the windows on the first floor. The guilty look on the face of the middle-aged Babe Ruth wannabee was priceless. Jack thoroughly enjoyed telling anyone who would listen about the episode.

         Walker had not forgotten the little girl who had wormed her way so quickly into his heart. For her, he bought a big wooden dollhouse complete with furniture and tiny plastic people. He and Jack spent a long, frustrating morning trying to assemble the dollhouse, constantly referring in muttered tones to the instruction booklet. Samantha and the two children sat nearby on the carpeted floor, ready to jump in and help if needed. The men just shushed them whenever they volunteered.

         Sue Beth was starting to think she would never get to play with it, when she heard a loud “Ta DA!” from a triumphant Jack. Walker just stood up and slowly strolled around, admiring the completed dollhouse from all angles. No one had the heart to tell the two men the house listed just the tiniest bit to the right. Samantha came back the next day to tighten the multiple fastenings. She told Sue Beth it was a secret and not to tell them what she had done. In this simple way, the little girl learned her first lesson about dealing with the delicate male ego.

         Walker decided to put the question of home schooling on the back burner. He told them of the hidden room he had found on the third floor. These adults quickly turned into children, almost racing one another from the dining room to the elevator. Walker, with his longer legs, reached it first. He had the gate open and ready when Jack and Samantha arrived. They were able to catch their breaths on the ride up to the third floor, but received many amused looks as they again hurried past staff members in the corridor. When they finally arrived, once more slightly breathless, Walker opened the door to let them go in first.

         He had been up here alone once more before and managed to clean up most of the dirt and cobwebs. It explained the double-takes given to him by the people he met on his way back to the fourth floor, after hours of moving the heavy boxes and shifting the trunks. Walker had ripped his black slacks along one inside seam with the gray, short-sleeve shirt ruined with dirt and blood. The sharp edge of one box stacked on top of another one had cut him when he used his body strength to push it off onto the floor. The wound dripped blood on his shirt before he noticed it or felt the slight pain in his shoulder.

         He now stood there like a proud parent, watching Jack and Samantha gaze in delight around the neatly organized room. The massive desk held the place of honor on one wall, and rightly so. Walker had cleaned and polished it to a high shine. With the bright sunlight streaming in from the newly washed windows, the desk glowed. Jack walked there first to start exploring the beautiful piece of furniture. Samantha headed for one of the trunks closest to her.

         A look of disappointment crossed her face when she discovered it locked. “Do you have the key, Walker?” Her disappointment increased at the negative shake of his head.

          “Maybe it’s here in the desk somewhere,” called out Jack, starting to check the various nooks and crannies at the back of the desk. Samantha walked over to help him search. Walker pulled out the top drawer on the left side of the desk’s kneehole. The desk, being over eight feet long, was wide enough to accommodate the three of them standing side by side.

         Samantha was the one to find the ring of keys in a drawer filled with odds and ends. She thus had the honor of opening the first of the five trunks. After three of the keys did not fit, the fourth key easily turned. She lifted the lid of the trunk, revealing the contents inside. Long rolls of tightly bound paper were on top. When the two men unrolled one of them, it turned out to be an old blueprint.

         The three of them quickly decided to carry all the rolls up to Walker’s rooms where they could examine them in comfort. Leaving exploring the rest of the room for another day, the trio divided the blueprints and trooped upstairs to see what the blueprints would show them.

         As he unrolled the first one on the table in his living room, Walker received a phone call from the front desk clerk. She requested him to come down and meet someone who was asking for the owner of the building. “Why don’t all of us go down?” he asked the other two after hanging up the phone. “We can look at these later after I find out what the person wants.”

         Agreeing with the plan, the three of them left, not knowing it would be a long time before they returned to the blueprints and the mystery contained in one of them.

Chapter 15

         He resembled Michael Rennie or perhaps Basil Rathbone. It was the first impression Walker had of the tall, slender man standing by the front desk. When the blond man introduced himself as they approached, the upper crust, British accent just reinforced the image. The man told them his name but looked only at Samantha. He was Colin Edgeworth, the grandson of the original owner of the mansion, Jason Edgeworth.

          “I’ve been curious about my ancestor for some time,” Colin remarked, “but I would have come much sooner if I knew the American women were so beautiful.” While staring in frank admiration at Samantha, he reached out to kiss her hand in the continental fashion.

         Stepping between them to get the Englishman’s full attention, Walker coolly introduced the three of them, not happy for some reason with Colin’s way of complimenting his friend. When he saw Colin finally concentrating on him after much too slowly releasing Samantha’s hand, he asked, “Would you like a tour of the building? I’m sure I could find one of my staff to show you around.” Thinking perhaps Jack might enjoy the job, it surprised Walker to hear Samantha quickly volunteer.

         Before he knew it, she was walking towards the far side of the main entrance room with Colin, leaving Walker and Jack standing by the front desk. “Did what I think happen just happen?” asked an astonished Walker. “What’s with women and that hand kissing crap? Did Sam fall for his line of bull?”

         Jack nodded, but chuckled when Walker finally asked the next question. “Why is he here? No one travels thousands of miles just to see an old building.” The irritated man conveniently forgot the millions of tourists who visit Europe each year for just that purpose. “Do you think Colin has another reason he’s not telling us?”

         The current owner of the old building frowned, not realizing, as he spoke to Jack, he was still watching the two people on the other side of the large room. He had just seen Colin put his hand on Samantha’s shoulder in much too friendly a manner. Well, went through his mind, it’s her business and not mine. Walker determined to forget about the Englishman until he saw him again and found out what he really wanted.

         Walker found out what Colin wanted, at least temporarily. Colin had returned, without Samantha, after a three-hour tour of the building and its grounds. Walker realized he had been foolish to attribute ulterior motives to the other man. After a pleasant lunch, during which Colin gave Walker some interesting background on Jason Edgeworth, the Englishman left in his rental car to return to his hotel in the next town.

         “Well,” said Walker to Samantha later in the afternoon, as she joined him in his suite to go over some long overdue paperwork, “Colin turned out to be a decent enough fellow. I’m sorry we won’t be seeing him again since he told me he’s leaving tomorrow.” As he spoke, the door to the suite opened, admitting Jack carrying an envelope. He handed it to Samantha, who smiled as she read the embossed notepaper inside.

         “You might not be seeing him again, but I will,” she said. “Colin invited me to go with him tonight for dinner and dancing afterwards.” She stood up, commenting as she left the two speechless men behind her, “I finally get a chance to wear my new dress that’s been going to waste in my closet. Finally a man around here notices I’m a woman.”

         Closing the door behind her, she did not hear a confused Jack say to an equally stunned Walker, “I’ve noticed she’s a woman. Haven’t you?” The other man did not answer immediately, thought about it, finally nodding that he had. They decided women were strange creatures with odd notions in their heads sometimes.

         About eight that evening, as Colin’s car pulled up to the front of the mansion, Jack and Walker had found excellent excuses to be in the entrance room. The former was using a tape to measure the sofa nearest to the front desk, for some reason only he knew. Meanwhile, Walker was studiously examining the check-in book at the front desk while the night clerk stood silently watching them.

         The clerk, a young man in his 20s, was wondering why the older men were acting so oddly, but he decided to keep quiet. He greeted the Englishman when he came inside, turning towards the wide stairs when he saw the man look there. To his amazement, there was an angel coming slowly down the stairs.

         Samantha reached the bottom of the stairs and stopped when she saw the four men watching her from across the wide room. Standing up straight, pulling her shoulders back, and with head held high, she took a deep calming breath. Slowly, she started across the floor towards them. Each of the four men had a different thought but a similar response to the beautiful vision in front of them.

         The young clerk gazed in awe at the woman. He usually saw Samantha in prim tailored suits with her long red hair tied back demurely in a loose bun or French twist. What he saw tonight made him thank his lucky stars he was a man.

         Jack wondered what had happened to his buddy, his chum. Where was the woman who laughed at each of his silly jokes? The enchanting creature in front of him left him wishing there was a dragon or two around she wanted him to slay for her.

         Colin, ever the suave cool Brit, wished he were alone with her and started reconsidering his plans to leave so early the next day.

         As for Walker, he looked stunned. Unable to put a coherent thought together, he watched Samantha come towards them. Eventually, one thought came to him. Who is this unfamiliar woman?

         Finally, he looked at her, starting at the top of her head and slowly working his way down. Her glorious, flame-red hair no longer was in its usual confinement but swept up on top of her head. A ribbon, matching the color of her gown, threaded its way through the abundant curls to keep them off her slender, graceful neck. Diamond clips showed off her small ears. He paused in his slow examination to gaze into her laughing eyes. Continuing down to her mouth, he saw her parted lips, soft and ready for a man’s kiss. Pulling his eyes away from her face, he finally took in the full effect of her dress as she came closer.

         At first, all he saw was a simple, teal blue gown. There was nothing simple, though, about the way she looked in it. The satin gown was sleeveless and cut low in the front. This allowed a small diamond pendant to nestle down near her exposed cleavage. The fitted gown melted around her body, showing off all her soft curves and flowing down until it reached the floor. Because she was wearing higher heels than usual, her hips swayed slightly when she walked. Walker wondered fleetingly what it would be like to dance with her, as Colin planned on doing after dinner later tonight.

          “Samantha, you look charming!” Colin offered the understatement when she finally reached him. He whisked her out of the building and into his car, greedily keeping from the other men what was his for the evening.

          “Wow!” whispered the clerk, to no one in particular.

          “Amen!” responded Jack, also to no one in particular.

         “I’ll kill the bloody bastard if he touches her! What the hell does she mean, going out with a stranger dressed like that? I thought Sam had more common sense.” With the clerk and Jack looking at him as if he suddenly lost his mind, Walker stalked off to his rooms, confused and angry, but not sure exactly why.

         Walker did not go to bed until much later until he saw Samantha return home in a cab, safe and alone.

Continued in next segment.
 HOME OF THE RED FOX - Segment Four  (18+)
Chapters 16 thru 20
#1082912 by J. A. Buxton

© Copyright 2006 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1082913-HOME-OF-THE-RED-FOX---Segment-Three