*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083525-Worst-dayFree-Day
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1083525
Chapter after the Beginning
The Tale of Three Brothers

Chapter 2 - Worst day/ Free day

I faced even worse things in the future then thrashings. There was one event that still haunts me to this day. Dakota was on her first hunt with mom and the Hoobasas. My brothers, the other kids, and I were stuck at home. The village was attacked by a gang of hills men. Sam, Ryley, and the older boys went to face the men, while I hid with the girls in the mess hall tent. They all hid underneath tables and inside cabinets. Since I was the only boy there, it was my duty to protect them.

My body stood limp against the burlap skin tent. I could hear swords clashing, men screaming in pain, bodies falling to the ground, and curses from the men as they died. A body fell through the opening of the tent I was in - it was my friend, Jake. I wanted to scream, but I didn’t dare. His face was a bloody mess, his eyes wide open in a look of pure terror, and blood soaked his clothes.

A man entered the tent. He looked at Jake and I slowly inched away into the dark shadows of the tent. He saw me cowering in the corner, in the dark. For a moment, our eyes met - his dark grey scary eyes and my big blue pleading eyes. I didn’t know it then, but that man changed after meeting me. Other men entered the tent some were dragging the boys in by the ear. The man hid me, as the other men searched the tent. They found all the other children in their hiding spots.

Right before my eyes, the children were slaughtered. I watched in horror as my friends fell to the ground limp. I was the only one who heard their screams and each scream tore into my heart. Once all the kids had been attacked, the men took off out of the village. The kids were all dead when my brothers, mom, Dakota, and the women returned. That night, each child was crème mated and smoke billowed from each fire pit. I had never seen anyone die, it was a hell of a thing I never wanted to see again.

For many nights I laid awake - the images of the man, my friends dying, their faces, and the men bounced through my head. They still do even now. I had witnesses a horror, no five year old should ever see. The man that saved me was found dead hanging by a tree the next morning. He had killed himself, because he couldn’t bring himself to kill me or the other children or maybe the other men just killed him because he did something.

There was no time to grieve, my mother made sure of it. I would train more as I got older and started sparring with my brothers. I was ten years old, the day my life changed. It was early morning and I was training.

Ryley, Samuel, and I would start with ten killers sprint around the village. Then we’d drop and roll, and run in place. After we’d have ten push - ups. But that was just the first five minutes of training.

“STOP!” my mom yelled. My brothers and I instantly got into a line - oldest to youngest. We were confused - we never had a break right away in the morning - we’d usually have to wait till lunch.

“At ease” mom barked. We each moved our legs shoulder length apart and crossed our arms behind our backs. “I’m going out for awhile. I’ll be back by night fall. Sam, Ry, watch Jason like a hawk. You know he’s bound to take off” Mom said. Dang, she knows me too well. “Don’t go into Janue and stay away from Andrew” Mom turned and stalked out of the tent.

“Where we goin’ today guys?” I asked.

“I don’t know” Sam shrugged “Do you have any ideas Ry?”

“Nope. Maybe Dakota has a few ideas” Ryley suggested.

“DAKOTA!” we yelled. Dakota ran in threw the tent flap back as she entered.

“What?!” Dakota spat.

“Let’s get out of here for awhile. Mom’s going to be gone ALL day! Let’s have some fun for a change!” Sam exclaimed.

“We can’t guys. Mom told us to stay here. We aren’t allowed to have fun - member?” Dakota replied.

“Come on Kodda! Let’s go to the market! What mom doesn’t know can’t hurt her, and it can’t hurt us either!” I yelled “Can we Sam?! Can we go to the market?!”

“Alright, let’s go to the market” Sam smiled. Dakota climbed onto Sam’s back as they left the tent. Ryley and I ran after them.
© Copyright 2006 redlion09 (redlion09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083525-Worst-dayFree-Day