*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083662-Like-A-Brother
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1083662
He told her that he liked her. She said she liked him too- but not in the same way.
"I really like you." The words hung in the air, a shadow casting a gloomy presence over our conversation and then, our friendship. I knew from the look on her face that her answer would not be the one I'd hoped for.
"You mean--like like?" The look in her eyes was one of confusion, not of joy. That fateful look told me that my sentiments were not returned. I knew I could say no to her question, say I liked her as a friend, but it wouldn't be true. I did like her as a friend, but I also liked her as something more.
I gave a nod, barely perceptible in the darkness of the room, but I knew she'd seen it when her eyes clouded over with something that looked like pity. I didn't want her pity. I wanted her love.
"I'm sorry." She was sorry, but it wasn't because she couldn't like me back. She was sorry because my feelings would completely ruin our friendship, and though she didn't like me as a soulmate or even something resembling that, she did like me as a friend. I tried to think of something witty, something to divert her attention from the pools forming in the corners of my eyes, but it was no use. She didn't like me- she never would- we would never be friends again- all because of hormones. Stupid hormones.
"Why?" That traitorous squeak slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it. I didn't want to know why she didn't like me, but I didn't want to stay awake late at night, analyzing all my traits and wondering which ones were so offensive to her. So I awaited her answer with trembling hands.
"You're a great guy, Jeremy. I had a crush on you for a really long time, but I realized we weren't meant to be." She sounded sad, as if reminiscing days long past, when we were just kids, untroubled by the dastardly effects of teenage hormones.
"Why'd you decide we weren't meant to be?" I didn't want to ask that either, my heart ached and I didn't want any more pain. Yet I still awaited her answer with bated breath, my hands clenched, my nails cutting crescent moons into my palms.
"We get along really well, and I don't want to ruin that friendship by some sort of romantic entanglement." Her answer didn't help.
"So that's it?"
"I guess so."
"We couldn't even try something out? Just one date?"
"I'm sorry Jeremy. I really am! It would just be way weird going out with you. You're like a brother to me."
I watched her walk away, my words coming out in a whisper. "I don't like you as a sister, and i never will."
© Copyright 2006 Totally Awesomely Perfect (tap101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083662-Like-A-Brother