*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083834-Virtual-Thirteenth
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1083834
Only the thirteenth step can help them now.
Virtual Thirteenth





         Chaz' head hurt again. But it wasnt a headache hurt, or even a concussion hurt. It was so painful, Chaz could swear his skin was melting, even though it was cold. Every hair folicle was screaming in pain, and he was clenching his teeth so hard, they were cracking.

         Two hours before he had used an electrical pipe to knock a suit out, and took his credit tab. He knew the pain would come, he had to have some money so he would be ready.

         "What in the holy name of..."said someone that happened to look in Chaz's direction.

         "I know." He muttered.

         "Are you alright man?" Asked the same person.

         "Do I look alright?"

         "Well mabey there is somthing I could do for you?" A little fear in his voice.

         "Give me your tab."

         "What?" And then the man saw the look in Chaz's eyes, "Look man, I'll just-"

         THWAAP!

         Chaz hit the man so hard, he broke his knuckles. Without missing a beat, he took the small two by four by one-half inch credit tab out of the prone mans pocket, and kept walking.

         There was only one thing that could save Chaz now, and it was still another mile down the road.

         People walking the opposite direction were shocked by the sight they encountered. But unlike the man he had probaply just killed, they didnt say a word.

         Three things will accompany virtual shock- or the brains withdrawls from excessive virtual technology. The first is the pain, mostly from the synapses that connect to the node in the side of ones head. They are so used to having that constant connection, that when they're not jacked in, its like having a piece of the brain cut out.

         Second is the blood. No one is quite sure why, but the nose, and sometimes the ears will bleed. It basically just looks gross. This is probaply what most people were cringing at. And most cyber heads will bite thier tounge and lips when in shock, which means more blood.

         The third thing is the sweating. since your body is actually in shock, you are going to sweat so much that it will look like you just jumped in a pool.

         So Chaz- hurting, bleeding, dehydrated Chaz, stumbled towards his salvation. The neon sign up ahead to the left looked like the pearly gates as far as he was concerned. And with the extra credits he got from the guy five minutes ago, he would be able to stay in heaven for a good two hours or so.

         The Sign said "Rumbletown Jack Bar".

Step One





         The first step of virtual recovery:
We realized we were powerless over our our addictions, that our lives had become unmanagable.


         The problem with this, thught Chaz, is that here, he was not powerless. In fact, in this world, Chaz was possibly one of the most powerfull beings ever.

         Here he could fly.

         And he was actually one of the few who could. Most people are not able to face the fact that they can do anything in the virtual world. But Chaz knew that here, the rules of the real world had no dominion.

         So he flew.

         The grassy fields stretched over rolling hills were a blur. Chaz had never actually seen grass, but assumed that this is what it would look like. The constructors of the program spared no detail, their aim was to make it look as realistic as possible.

         Up ahead a small flash of reflected light appeared, and made Chaz squint.

         Nora.

         Chaz made a perfect landing, and as his feet touched the ground, Nora was already embracing him.

         "Well hello ther stranger."

         "Hi Chaz, I didnt think you would make it."

         "Look, I promised I would be here, and I keep my promises."

         "Your right, sorry to doubt you. I know your the best."

         And indeed Chaz was, he was almost a god.

         Almost.
© Copyright 2006 B.C. Green (khart-ian at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1083834-Virtual-Thirteenth