*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1085308-Chapter-1-regal-burgess
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Children's · #1085308
A short intro chapter needing a critical eye. funny and entertaining.
I stared around the room at my classmates. I was desperate. This was the end of term exam and so far I had answered a total of three questions out of twenty. My name, Regal Burgess, being one of them. If I hadn’t arrived late I’d be able to sit beside my friend Danny and cheat. I looked over to see him looking back at me and rose an eyebrow. I shook my head. He grinned as I stuck up my hand. Mr Hennessey looked up from his bottle bottom glasses. “Yes regal?”. “Sir can I go the toilet?”. Very well. but hurry your ass back here quick. Don’t let Mr Flaws catch you”. I nodded. Mr flaws was the headmaster of Franklin high. A real tight ass.

I rushed into the blue tiled bathroom. I stopped listening intently, taking in my surroundings. I was alone. I counted to the fourth cubicle to the left hand side and entered. Locking the latch I turned, bent on my hunches and suppressing a shudder I inserted my hand around the grim filled waist pipe. I closed my eyes while my fingers spread over the dust and lime scale. Something smooth touched my fingers and I pulled. The note came away with a length of cello tape. Pulling down the lid I spun and sat on the bowl. I smiled as I examined my prize though the cost had been high. I grimaced and wiped my hand on my trousers. I froze as I heard the bathroom door open and someone entered. Tucked it deep into my pocket I rushed back to class.
I was careful not to show the paper. I memorized three answers at a time and put it away.
Three minutes had passed and I was finished. Sitting up straight with my paper face down in front of me. Mr Hennessey sighed and stood up checking the silver watch on his wrist he strode to the front of the desk. “Pens down”. Some groaned and the rapid pace of scratching biros reached my ears. On the other side of the classroom my friend Danny sat up as Mr Hennessey collected his paper. He sat back and placed his hands behind his head. He grinned over at me. Mr Hennessey was three rows to front of me. I slyly slipped the note from my pocket and flashed it at him smiling. Danny’s grin evaporated. a look of complete horror crossed his features quickly followed by the bang of his forehead colliding with his desk top. I wondered why but then I spotted it. The white piece of square paper sticking out from the pile in Mr Hennessey hand. I broke into silent laughter. Danny flipped me off.

Danny and I made to make a hasty retreat. We had just made it around the corner when Mr Hennessey appeared out looking flushed. The jets of students cloaking us I snatched his arm and we made off as fast as our legs could carry us. Once outside we panted. Danny bent over to catch breath. I leaned on the hand rail and cracked a grin at him. “Say nothing!”. He gasped but I could see the laughter lines deepen on his face. “Oh Dan!. You’re the only one I know hands up the cheat sheet with the test”. For a moment his shoulders stiffened, he raised a threatening finger in my direction but then he shrugged. “You forgot yours”. He argued but he looked defeated. I slapped him on the back. “Come on. Look on the bright side. At least he has to wait a whole summer to scream at you”. Danny shook his head in disgust. A bunch of older girls passed us and one stopped waved and came jogging up to meet us. I groaned. Nancy Kingston, Danny girl friend. “Hey babe”. Her greeted her with a full on kiss and I gagged. Nancy gave me a sadistically smirk. “So how’d you do in your test?”. Danny shot me a glance. “I didn’t do very well”. Nancy chuckled but let it drop. We flopped down on the steps. “Regal you coming to go to Kenny Corbels party tonight?
Everyone’s going to be there”. I faked a moan. “Can’t sorry. My uncle wants me home to help clear the shed”. Nancy huffed and smiled enticingly at Danny. “Come on ‘Regal Feeble’, there’ll be plenty of girls there. I bet you Donna will be there”. He offered. I shrugged. “Maybe. I’ll see”. I said getting up and shuffling my bag onto my shoulder. Danny lent back to look at me questioningly. “You have to face her sometime man. Hiding won’t do you any good”. I winced. Donna, my recent cheating x. “you two have a lot in common. You go out with her”. “Hey!” Nancy frowned. “He’s still tender”. Danny explained to Nancy who chuckled. I looked over his shoulder. “Hey Mr Hennessey”. Danny laughed mockingly. “Yeah nice try regal”. “Hello regal” Mr Hennessey replied. Danny’s face screwed up in pain. “Shit”. He turned around the pink cheeked uni-browed teacher. “up to your waist” Mr Hennessey nodded. Danny was dragged inside. Leaving me and Nancy alone. “well I better go. He’s going to be ages”. Nancy smiled. “Come tonight. Have fun. I’ll set you up with my mate Susan. Show Donna what she’s missing out on”. I shrugged. “Somehow I doubt she’ll see me past Fred Yarrows pecks. I’ll see you later”. She smiled sympathetically and left me to wallow in misery.
© Copyright 2006 saileachban2004 (j.s.k at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1085308-Chapter-1-regal-burgess