*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086265-So-this-is-life
Rated: E · Chapter · Other · #1086265
part of a chapter of a book I am thinking of starting... should I continue?
         I slipped into the cool, glassy water while the moon was still above me. I just stood for a second, letting my body adjust to the new temperature. Then, I submerged, closing my eyes and holding my breath. I felt weightless in the pool and slowly allowed my eyes to be opened. The chlorine stung, but I only focused on the pain for a moment.
         It was beautiful. Dawns earliest light had come and transformed the dark water into light bands of yellow, orange, and pink. I could see the little pieces of dust, but that’s what made it so stunning, so clear. It was almost like it was Gods’ little way of letting you know he’s there.
         I marveled at the sight until my lungs began to burn and screech for air. When I reached the gleaming surface I floated on my back for a moment, breathing slowly and loosely. After a few peaceful moments I waded over to the edge of the pool to where my athletic clothes, that I had shed a few minutes earlier, sat. My watch sat on top. It bluntly told me that it was five forty-five in small, neon green numbers.
         I waded back to the middle of the pool wall and went under again. I pushed off of the wall with a great amount of force and I felt the water pull all around me. It was almost as if it didn’t want to let me pass, but after straining for a second, it allowed me to swim freely. My feet worked as miniature propellers as they sliced through the chemically altered water. I reached the other end of the pool and flipped underwater and started to the other side.
         This repeated methodically for four more times, until my arms and legs began to throb. I stopped at the end of the pool and took a deep breath. I let my weight be lifted and I floated atop the glassy surface on my back. I closed my eyes.
         After a couple of minutes, I opened my eyes and saw the sun turning the rest of the sky a creamy pink-orange color. I smiled as I pulled myself out of the pool. The towel felt good on my shoulders, though it was old and scratchy. I slid into my athletic shorts and pulled my t-shirt over my swimsuit. I pulled on my running shoes and double knotted the laces, just in case.

© Copyright 2006 French Horn Nerd (totalbandnerd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086265-So-this-is-life