*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086451-Revenge-is-sweet
Rated: 13+ · Other · Death · #1086451
The dark, grey room was silent as Lucas rocked back and forth. Short story about revenge.
Revenge is sweet

The nearby building shook as the thunder rippled through the air. Nothing was in sight. All the animals were hiding in their homes. No, it was too dangerous to go out now. The site was deserted. Red leaves scattered the grey pavement. It was the only sound around. Rustling. Along with the howling of the wind. But there was something in the far distance. Along a dark and narrow path, a large and ugly sandstone building could be seen. It was a mysterious building, with no resident knowing what occurred inside. Everyone, except the only occupant.



Inside, a lonely and slumped figure rocked back and forth.
Grey.

The colours of the wall penetrated through the figures eyes. He was sick of the dark. He knew that he shouldn’t be here. But he had to do it. It was his only option. Oh, if only the others thought the same.
…………………………….
~~

The floorboard creaked as ever so slowly, a foot was placed upon the stairs. If he was caught, he knew that he would be in big trouble that night. Oh, how many times had he felt the leather whipping through his skin? Blood dripping on the carpet covered with stains that would never wash out. He had to enter the room though. There was something wrong tonight. The curdled scream told him all about it.
The door made a whining sound as it opened…quietly. The silence of the room teased his ears. No. the monster had done it. His worst nightmare had come true. A crib stood in the middle of the room. As he edged closer, he could see his little brothers face peering between the pillows. His glassy eyes staring towards the newly painted ceiling. Little Johnny had left the world forever.
Red lines surrounded his beloved brothers’ neck. He was chocked to death and Lucas knew who did it.

~~

A man entered the grey room. His footsteps echoed around the walls. He came to an abrupt halt as he looked at the rocking man in front of him. He knelt down to face him. He stared into his eyes.
Black.

They were so lifeless that it replicated death. The poor man had already died on the inside. There wasn’t much hope left for him.

“Lucas, you need to tell me what happened that night. Now is your only chance. For god’s sake, I can help you.”

The man didn’t hear him. He just rocked back and forth. Back and forth. It wasn’t that unusual though. Lucas hadn’t spoken since…well since that night. The doctor sighed. He had lost the battle. The time and date was nearing closer and closer and yet he couldn’t get anything out of him. No words just the same old song that the man always sang. It never changed…

~~

The boy picked up his baby brother. His slid his hands down the infant’s face so that his little eyes would close. Tears slid down his cheek. He had just lost the last person that he had left. Quietly, he began to sing his brother a song that both of them knew so well.

“So long and good-night.
So long and good-night.
It’s time to let go,
But I will always see you so…”


~~

The man kept on singing the lullaby. To him, it was just a memory that kept on repeating itself. Over and over. He couldn’t let go of it.

“Lucas, why did you kill? What did he do, for you to make him suffer like that?”

The man kept on smiling as he rocked back and forth. He paid no attention to the doctor. He was no use to him. He knew why he killed him though. Oh, how he loved that word…revenge!
~~

A small thud could be heard above the ground. It was barely audible over the rain. Thud. Thud. Thud.
Six feet under the ground a man lay struggling in his coffin.. He couldn’t believe that his own step son could torture him like this. On the other hand he did deserve it. He wanted that money. The inheritance meant everything to him and children were not going to stop him.
White.
It was the last thing he saw as his body went limp. The air ran out of him too quickly.


~~

Time was raging closer and closer in the empty grey room. The doctor needed to know what happened. There was something about his patient that could change the decision. Nothing. The man just kept on rocking back and forth with a small song playing along his lips.




The door of the dark, grey room slammed open. They were here to get him. As they pulled him along in his straight jacket, he smiled at the irony of the situation. Both of them were killers in their very own way. He had achieved his goal. He killed his step-father. Buried him alive. Oh…revenge is sweet. He could’ve never gotten away for killing his Johnny. Never. He would’ve always been there to chase that monster, no matter how far he ran.

~~

They slowly plled him to his destiny. The electric chair? A swing from a rope? It didn’t matter. Lucas knew that this was his ticket to death…or hell.

“So long and goodnight”…

© Copyright 2006 In.Spades (tookish at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1086451-Revenge-is-sweet