*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088473-Savannah
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1088473
An inscription inside a library book takes Savannah on a hunt for fate...
Savannah walked through the dark narrow isles searching for another inspiring read. Just this morning she finished Where Are You Now; a story of a woman trying to find her way out of the forest after being raped and left for dead. The heroine not only manages to make her way home, but brings her attackers to justice. Savannah was moved by the account of this woman’s life but she was taken by a much more powerful part of the book. Just inside the cover someone had written:

“It is not an accident that you are reading this. It is destiny that your hands have chosen mine. There are others who will try and fail, you are the one who will set us free. Continue the search, I know we will be united in the end.”

Who wrote this? What could this mean? How many other people searched in vain for the myriad of questions plaguing her mind? Savannah browsed the shelves, reaching into her brain for the list of books she wanted to read this summer. What were they- she was drawing a blank- there was nothing… nothing except the words she’d read over and over before returning . Her mind reeled as she created fantasies about who and where the inscriptor could be; perhaps it was simply an inscription written to the original owner of the book- people donated used books here all the time…. some stupid kid who picked it up at random and decided this would be a great practical joke….. a pervert who wanted an independent, college aged, girl enamoured with the idea of inner personal strength to run with her curiosity and play into his game….. this was ridiculous…….

Finding herself back at 1002.75 she began taking each surrounding book out of its place, opening the front cover with anticipation then replacing it deflated. This task was too daunting, it was ridiculous to think she could repeat this process in all 44 isles of the county library. Besides, there was no way she would find another book, another piece of this story- not if she had to pull out thousands of books to get to it. Still, the thought would not leave her- the idea that some higher power, some planned avenue of fate caused her to read the inscription.

Deciding to write it off as an unsolvable incident, Savannah chose several other books (after checking the inside covers of course) and left the library. Being slightly let down, she chose to walk the 10 blocks it would take her to get home rather than take the bus. As she strolled down the street, she tried to rationalize her feelings of loss and disappointment.

****

….more later….
© Copyright 2006 Princess Christy (princesschris at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088473-Savannah