*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088813-Consequences
by Shylah
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1088813
An unwilling worker in the archaeology field. Thomas is in for a surprise.
Thomas Cade paused as he worked at excavating along the wall inside a small dusty cave, a short distance from the others in the group. Boredom had long set in. He hadn’t wanted to come on this expedition, but his boss insisted as he was the only employee available at that moment. As far as Thomas was concerned, the likelihood of finding anything useful here was practically non-existent. He figured that the sooner he could convince the others of this, the sooner he could leave.
He had limited patience with monotonous excavating work. Being skilled in ancient languages, he was usually only brought in when something needed deciphering.
A lit gas lantern sat nearby alongside the wall, providing him with enough light as he slowly brushed away dirt at the base of the cave wall. Loud noises came from outside. Thomas gave an empty sigh as he picked up a small digging tool and began chipping into a hollow. Muttering under his breath, he started, surprised, as fine dust descended onto his head. Thomas looked up just as it stopped. Eyeing the source warily he returned to work.
A minute later, an ominous rumbling noise came from the cave entrance. Thomas froze, spinning around just in time to see the entrance collapse in a cloud of rock and powdery dirt. Abandoning post, he ran further into the cave as a dense cloud of dust rose behind him, partly covering the spot he’d been working at. When all was still, Thomas reappeared, coughing from the dust still in the air, approaching the blocked entrance warily.
‘Tom?’
‘I’m here. Is everyone ok out there?’
‘Yes, we’re all fine. Will try and get you out very soon.’
‘I wasn’t hurt.’
‘Good,’ the voice replied. ‘That makes it easier for us.’
‘Can I help from inside?’
‘Nah man, enjoy the break.’
With that the voice stopped and banging on the blocked entrance began. Unable to do anything else Thomas turned and looked at where he had been working. ‘I suppose I can finish this while I wait. He was pleased to see the lamp was full.
Returning to the hollow in the rock, Thomas began brushing away the chipped stone and discovered that more loose dirt was behind it. As the dirt was removed he saw a smooth top of an object that appeared to be an ancient tablet. The first row of writing was partly visible. Curious, he carefully chipped away the rock until he could read the first line.
‘Stages to foreverness. Steps designed by our eternal guides to achieving an immortal life.’
At this point, Thomas gave up reading and sped up his effort to free the tablet, if this was for real. He began to imagine what he would do if it was. But first he had to extract the tablet safely.
Redoubling his efforts, he was distracted by a second rumble at the cave entrance. Scowling, he made his way over as a few rocks clattered down to roll across the cave floor.
‘Hey,’ Thomas yelled. ‘Slow down, it’s unstable in here.’
‘Sorry Tom, we’ll be more careful.’
‘Good.’ Thomas listened for a minute. The noise seemed to decrease. Smiling, he interpreted that as having got the message across. He returned to the task at hand. The hint of discovery had caught his attention, and he couldn’t help but feel thankful that he wouldn’t be interrupted. The heat and air, still thick with dust seemed less oppressive.
After about twenty minutes of painstaking work, he brushed the last of the chipped rock and dirt from around the base. He was almost there.
Placing his tools down, he carefully lifted it out. Gently he placed the tablet down on the dirt floor and brushed the remainder of the dirt off it. Finally satisfied, he picked the tablet back up, cradling the object so it didn’t fall and break, he turned and sat facing the blocked entrance, back against the wall as he pulled the lantern closer to make reading easier.
Glancing up at the blocked entrance he determined that he had enough time.
‘How’s it going out there?’ Thomas yelled to make sure.
‘Not much progress here,’ a voice replied.
‘I’m fine here. I’m working as I wait and have turned up nothing,’ he lied calmly.
‘That’s a shame. We’ll get you out, and then we’ll be ready to move onto a new location around the ridge.’
‘Right,’ Thomas yelled back.
All he heard after that was the continuing sound of rocks being moved. Satisfied he wouldn’t be freed for a while, he returned to reading the tablet. After attempting to read the blurry text in the middle for about 10 minutes, he eventually looked at the end. He’d have to use proper cleaning methods later.
‘You’ve done well and been very patient. Success and honour soon waits.’
The noise from the entrance was getting louder as Thomas neared the end of the writing. ‘Beware those who read this in daylight, because if the gods see you as unworthy, the light of day shall fall upon you, misfortune will be yours....’
Just as he read the last line, a blinding beam of light suddenly shone through a small hole in the cave-in that his colleagues had made. Before Thomas could react the light reached the stone surface of the tablet. A bright flash and his eyes widened as he saw that he was now holding a smooth flat stone, all the writing wiped clean. A moment later, rocks fell aside as the group outside broke in along with a blast of cool, dust free air.
Mutely, Thomas remained seated as he stared blankly up at the foreman to the site.
‘Tom, you’re right. There’s nothing here.’ The foreman hurried forward, pulling him to his feet and dislodged the stone he held.
‘Right,’ Thomas staggered; his voice unsteady as he tried to stifle his disappointment.
‘What were you doing holding a rock?’ The foreman laughed. ‘It can’t have been that bad.’ Laughing louder, he clapped an arm around Thomas’ shoulders and led him out of the cave as another man gathered up the tools and lantern.
© Copyright 2006 Shylah (shylah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1088813-Consequences