*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090012-Lessons-in-Betrayal-Chapter-Four
Rated: E · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #1090012
Best friends become bitter enemies. Blood boils when strange telepathy is practiced.
Chapter 4

Hack screamed out loud as he released the computer and it thudded to the carpet. "What the hell?" he asked with a shaky voice. He was shaking all over and sweat drenched his face and back. He stared in disbelief at the ADA laying between his feet. One minute he was meditating away stress, the next he was holding a computer that he left at the sheriff's office not too long ago. He took a few deep breaths, and then tried to stand. His legs were weak, but they supported him. He paced in circles while trying to clear his mind.
"I left it there... I left it there... but here it is"
"Get a hold of yourself, Hack," he thought out loud.
After a few more laps, his heart rate slowed a little and he wandered into the kitchen to call Dave's house.
"Hello, Maggie?"
"Hack, are you okay? You sound shaken."
Margaret's soft, soothing voice helped to ease his state of mind.
"I'm okay... is Dave home?"
"I haven't seen him since he left this morning. He was supposed to drop by this afternoon to pick up a design, but he never came. I tried his cell a few minutes ago but only got his voicemail. It really isn't unusual, should I be worried?"
"I don't know Mag... I...I don't know.
"Hack I know you well enough, something's wrong. Talk to me!"
After a brief silence, Hack gave in.
"Mag, I do need to talk to you, but don't worry yourself... at least until you hear the story.
Can you meet me at the split level I am working on?"
"Sure...I guess... when?"
"Ten minutes?"
"Hack, does Dave have anything to do with why you sound so rattled?"
"I'm not sure...probably, I'll fill you in when I see you, okay?"

As he hung up the phone he wondered if getting Margaret involved was the wisest choice, but he needed to talk to someone, and he didn't know where Dave was. Besides, Hack had a feeling he was going to need his own truck before this was over and Maggie was the only person who could help at this hour.


© Copyright 2006 Floyd Armlin (tarmlin1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090012-Lessons-in-Betrayal-Chapter-Four