*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090239-The-Pond
Rated: E · Other · Nature · #1090239
Is this a memory of seeing it in another life?
The Pond

By

J. A. Buxton


** Image ID #1094847 Unavailable **


The body of water was larger than a puddle but smaller than a lake. Canadian geese spotted it from overhead and landed for a quick meal before heading north again. The water teemed with fish, which attracted hungry animals who were expert at catching them with one paw. On hot summer days, the fish moved closer to the middle of the pond where the water was cooler. During that time, animals walked away, unsatisfied and still hungry.

The water was usually clear and cold except in the early spring. Melted snow runoff from the nearby mountains entered at one end of the pond. Mud and other debris made the pond cloudy for weeks until the spring rains cleaned it once again. Around the banks of the pond grew weeds, both tall and short. Soft pussy willows fought for space along the edges with the harder cattails. In one section of the water, weeds like water hyacinth and milfoil provided a rich food source for leeches. Many an unsuspecting animal wandered into that area, only to emerge covered with the brown blood suckers.

Fruit trees, among them apple, pear, and cherry, surrounded the pond. Just past them was a field filled on summer days with colorful and fragrant wildflowers. Small animals made their homes in this field, coming out at dawn and dusk to drink from the pond.

This hidden treasure spent its days in peace and solitude, unspoiled by humans.

< end >


© Copyright 2006 J. A. Buxton (judity at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1090239-The-Pond